• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Suit maker? Solid example of pushing the conservative business dress envelope. Navy suit + black captoes + pindot tie. Bonus points for the spread collar and trimmer fit. I don't think the lack of a belt is a big deal if you have side-tabs.

Thanks, suit is Scabal mohair (I love the texture and threads of purple, blue, green, etc all running through it) and made by Savile Row in Seoul.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Guess I'll play here too since I now have a job that requires a suit.
tumblr_ljhgy8ORCd1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljhgv0OHd11qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ljhftnhNtB1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljheowalQq1qcq3ab

(my own critique is that the button stance is a little too high, lapels too slim, leather wrist strap is extraneous, and I'm sure someone is going to take offense at the lack of belt)

Nice fit. Agreed that the button stance is a bit high--wish there wasn't so much shirt peeking out at the bottom, it's distracting. Still, it fits well.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I'm not sticking my hand in my pocket, no shirt shows since the quarters are fairly closed:
aUKH1.jpg
tumblr_l7ayyqeyMW1qbmp06.jpg

Originally Posted by aravenel
The best part is that if you look at his "blog", the guy has a complete inability to buy anything that fits him. Somehow thinks that wearing a bunch of expensive labels in any size and combination under the sun makes him well dress. Oh well, worth a laugh anyways...
He did have cancer recently accounting for losing a TON of weight. Sorry if I made you feel like a jerk
redface.gif
(would be nice if he stopped spamming this thread though since he doesn't really do conservative business dress at all)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I'm not sticking my hand in my pocket, no shirt shows since the quarters are fairly closed:
aUKH1.jpg
tumblr_l7ayyqeyMW1qbmp06.jpg

Ah, it does look much nicer. Button stance still a bit high, but on the whole very nice.

He did have cancer recently accounting for losing a TON of weight. Sorry if I made you feel like a jerk
redface.gif

(would be nice if he stopped spamming this thread though since he doesn't really do conservative business dress at all)
Eeps, yeah, wish I hadn't said that now... Do wish he'd stop the spamming though.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to regular programming
110411056.jpg

110411058.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Oh PG.....

LOL.

If I could nitpick one thing about PG's recent PJ fits is that I'm not a fan of the narrower lapel.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does a tailor do such a good job at dealing with the extreme slope of PG's shoulders, yet at the same time leave so much mess below the buttoning point. Unless it's a case of pictures not representing reality very well, it looks like the top half of the coat is a perfect fit and the bottom half is a land of ripples. teh quarters drape ?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
How does a tailor do such a good job at dealing with the extreme slope of PG's shoulders, yet at the same time leave so much mess below the buttoning point. Unless it's a case of pictures not representing reality very well, it looks like the top half of the coat is a perfect fit and the bottom half is a land of ripples. teh quarters drape ?

He took a pic after a day's work and the material picks up creases more easily than other materials (see my pics of how my suit looks before vs the hands in pocket of after a couple days of moving around).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
0BdIe.jpg

WKK7k.jpg

I like the colour/pattern combining. Obviously I like the ticket pocket
smile.gif

The gorge is a little low, but for a 20 yr old SC it doesn't look too dated.
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Not sure if this is strictly conservative business dress, but the navy blazer might help.

P1030688.jpg
P1030683_2.jpg

P1030685.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Nice. Personally I don't find the collar too small.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
339693b2.jpg
70f932b8.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Nice combination, and that SC fits you very well.
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Like the suit, a solid shirt and laced shoes would be better match though.
+1

Guess I'll play here too since I now have a job that requires a suit.
tumblr_ljhgy8ORCd1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljhgv0OHd11qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ljhftnhNtB1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljheowalQq1qcq3ab

(my own critique is that the button stance is a little too high, lapels too slim, leather wrist strap is extraneous, and I'm sure someone is going to take offense at the lack of belt)

Looks good - it looks 'contemporary' rather than 'classic' but still conservative business dress IMO
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Back to regular programming
110411056.jpg

110411058.jpg
Nice. Must be one of the most conservative business dress paisley's in existence
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
The combination of the lavender/purple and the suiting probably steer this clear of conservative business dress (one or the other would probably just be okay) but I like it a lot regardless.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He took a pic after a day's work and the material picks up creases more easily than other materials (see my pics of how my suit looks before vs the hands in pocket of after a couple days of moving around).

+1 Still high res. photos, and processing always emphasise these things - in real life they wouldn't be nearly as apparant.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bright and breezy spring day:

20110411_detail.jpg

20110411_main.jpg

20110411_shoes.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them