• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm traveling for work to Australia next week, Sydney and Canberra (university visits). Can I ask about what weight clothing to pack?

Sydney weather looks like late spring/early summer in temperature though I understand it's winter. Canberra looks a little bit cooler (New England, northeast US so 60 to 70 F...15-20 C??).

Maybe I can put this in terms of weight for trousers.
400gm cords seem too heavy, especially as I'm trying to travel light. I'm guessing maybe 300 gm weight heavier cotton or even heavy linen trousers for Sydney, 12-14oz denim for streetwear. Light weight knits and light to mid weight wool jackets?

Any advice appreciated.
Ive been wearing up to 400g flannels without breaking a sweat (literally). Mid weight is mostly fine but be prepared for cold mornings and nights.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who’ve been wondering, this is what a SuitSupply MTM jacket looks like in the wild…
9513ED40-3A18-43C8-A724-BD26CA74F604.jpeg

5CBA0C8B-7D14-493A-9874-49580C4BBE70.jpeg

81A4B4A3-2019-4F81-93A1-0E84B7B4158C.jpeg

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ive been wearing up to 400g flannels without breaking a sweat (literally). Mid weight is mostly fine but be prepared for cold mornings and nights.
I'm trying to travel as light as possible. I'm wondering if anyone is wearing a heavier linen in Sydney. Obviously, it will be airier than flannels. It makes sense given the high in temperature, but not the lows.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to travel as light as possible. I'm wondering if anyone is wearing a heavier linen in Sydney. Obviously, it will be airier than flannels. It makes sense given the high in temperature, but not the lows.
Next week is looking a bit warmer, so heavy linen might be fine (maybe). That said, mid weight is probably your best option, with something for the night. That or pack more sweaters so you can layer it.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Hi guys, my well worn pair of Uniqlo chinos have worn through after 7 years. Current Uniqlo offerings in chinos are unfortunately polarised with slim fit or very relaxed wide fit. Nothing in between currently.

Any recommendations on where to get chinos flat front, mid to higher rise, straight or soft taper?

More on the casual side than dressy, to be worn with casual button downs, a belt, sometimes a casual sport coat.

sensuki

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of chinos from Pickings & Parry - Buzz Rickson "Original Fit". They're a nice mid-high rise and a straight cut. The Informale ones are good too. Obviously both are a lot pricier than Uniqlo however.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my well worn pair of Uniqlo chinos have worn through after 7 years. Current Uniqlo offerings in chinos are unfortunately polarised with slim fit or very relaxed wide fit. Nothing in between currently.

Any recommendations on where to get chinos flat front, mid to higher rise, straight or soft taper?

More on the casual side than dressy, to be worn with casual button downs, a belt, sometimes a casual sport coat.
Have you tried Spier and Mackay on sale? They have a pretty wide range of trousers. Like the grey flannels I’m wearing in the pic above, plus a whole lot of casual models.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I realize now that I should also look at the LOWS too! Canberra will drop to freezing at night. I'll plan accordingly. Hopefully I'll get lucky and the days will be dry.
Days have been dry and beautiful puffer vest, lambs wool jumpers flannelette shirts and English corduroy trousers. Mind you the other day out was and about wearing a pea coat.

If you’re visiting ANU try Miss Vans on Marcus Clark St Civic, great Vietnamese and in Braddon Bent Spoke microbrewery both highly recommend.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Thanks I’ll check them out again.

I had a pair of chinos from them a few years back that was very flimsy material. Felt below the level of my uniqlos - which just happened to be a great model/make that season.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I’ll check them out again.

I had a pair of chinos from them a few years back that was very flimsy material. Felt below the level of my uniqlos - which just happened to be a great model/make that season.
I still have two pairs of that vintage chino from Uniqlo. Today’s offering is very sad in comparison.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hopefully will be on the plane heading towards your neck of the woods. Thanks for the advice.

I'm also happy for advice on places to eat, things to see (museums, nature, parks), and menswear stores to check out. Also, I love to browse old books so recommendations on good second hand bookstores.

I'll be in Sydney, a day and a half in Thirroul on my way to Canberra through Wollongong (Thirroul was recommended to me as a place to check out if I wanted to get out of Sydney after my flight, and still have easy access to Canberra), then Canberra for two days.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Quick conditioning question. I’ve always used the RM Williams leather conditioner along with a bit of polish for my comfort craftsman

I went into a new store today (a boot store not a RM Williams stores) and was about to pick up some more conditioner. The lady at the store said she didn’t advise the rm Williams product as it causes further cracking.

Has anyone heard of this? What do you use to condition your RMs?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully will be on the plane heading towards your neck of the woods. Thanks for the advice.

I'm also happy for advice on places to eat, things to see (museums, nature, parks), and menswear stores to check out. Also, I love to browse old books so recommendations on good second hand bookstores.

I'll be in Sydney, a day and a half in Thirroul on my way to Canberra through Wollongong (Thirroul was recommended to me as a place to check out if I wanted to get out of Sydney after my flight, and still have easy access to Canberra), then Canberra for two days.
Tourist stuff…National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Australia, National Museum and Australian War Memorial…

Food someone on the South Side have any recommendations? As mentioned Miss Van, Vietnamese which is near ANU and AKIBA which is Asian Fusion in Civic.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tourist stuff…National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Australia, National Museum and Australian War Memorial…

Food someone on the South Side have any recommendations? As mentioned Miss Van, Vietnamese which is near ANU and AKIBA which is Asian Fusion in Civic.
Thanks. Unfortunately very rainy today though I managed to do a bit of running before the rain moved in on the coast. I appreciate these recommendations.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth