• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sydneycider

Reaction score
Hopefully will be on the plane heading towards your neck of the woods. Thanks for the advice.

I'm also happy for advice on places to eat, things to see (museums, nature, parks), and menswear stores to check out. Also, I love to browse old books so recommendations on good second hand bookstores.

I'll be in Sydney, a day and a half in Thirroul on my way to Canberra through Wollongong (Thirroul was recommended to me as a place to check out if I wanted to get out of Sydney after my flight, and still have easy access to Canberra), then Canberra for two days.
How was Thirroul? I grew up around there and I would honestly not recommend it to anyone. It's nice enough as a Wollongong suburb, but nothing special.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How was Thirroul? I grew up around there and I would honestly not recommend it to anyone. It's nice enough as a Wollongong suburb, but nothing special.
It was lovely. I can understand not recommending it as a place to visit over other places, but it was a good compromise in terms of getting out of Sydney since I'm on my own dime for two days before work (and reimbursement) kicks in. My original plan was to go to the Blue Mountains but the trip from there to Canberra is long (basically, seems like I would have to go back to Sydney and then out again to Canberra, 5+ hours on buses). My host at the ANU suggested exploring the coast south of Sydney as a compromise given the need to end up in Canberra (basically 1.5 days, mostly to recuperate from the trip over the Pacific).

I had a lovely run along the coastal walk from Thirroul heading south, and actually, found some unpretentious and nice places to eat (a good bakery and also decent cafe). Walked back along the beach which was appropriately moody given the weather. So, I had a good day given how jet lagged I feel. Thus far, great to be in Australia! It is disappointing how little of the country I'm going to be able to see, but I have five days in Sydney at the end.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick conditioning question. I’ve always used the RM Williams leather conditioner along with a bit of polish for my comfort craftsman

I went into a new store today (a boot store not a RM Williams stores) and was about to pick up some more conditioner. The lady at the store said she didn’t advise the rm Williams product as it causes further cracking.

Has anyone heard of this? What do you use to condition your RMs?
I was given some Leather Balm from handmadeleatherbelts.co.uk

Highly recommend it.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was lovely. I can understand not recommending it as a place to visit over other places, but it was a good compromise in terms of getting out of Sydney since I'm on my own dime for two days before work (and reimbursement) kicks in. My original plan was to go to the Blue Mountains but the trip from there to Canberra is long (basically, seems like I would have to go back to Sydney and then out again to Canberra, 5+ hours on buses). My host at the ANU suggested exploring the coast south of Sydney as a compromise given the need to end up in Canberra (basically 1.5 days, mostly to recuperate from the trip over the Pacific).

I had a lovely run along the coastal walk from Thirroul heading south, and actually, found some unpretentious and nice places to eat (a good bakery and also decent cafe). Walked back along the beach which was appropriately moody given the weather. So, I had a good day given how jet lagged I feel. Thus far, great to be in Australia! It is disappointing how little of the country I'm going to be able to see, but I have five days in Sydney at the end.
Cash Only Dinner https://www.cashonlydiner.com.au/
A must visit if you enjoy Vietnamese food

Last edited:

smeggett

Reaction score
Quick conditioning question. I’ve always used the RM Williams leather conditioner along with a bit of polish for my comfort craftsman

I went into a new store today (a boot store not a RM Williams stores) and was about to pick up some more conditioner. The lady at the store said she didn’t advise the rm Williams product as it causes further cracking.

Has anyone heard of this? What do you use to condition your RMs?
Probably heresy, but I've been using a leather saddle conditioner (Oakwood?) for years on my RMs. Initially because I had it sitting around, but one pair I use it with is still going strong 16 years and two re-soles later. No issues with the leather at all.

Markodevil

Reaction score
What are some recommendations for comfortable dress shoes, specific styles and brands? Ideally, somewhere I can go to and get properly fitted, I have had some bad luck with fitting in the past.
I have been told about TLB Mallocra & Carmina, but nowhere I can try them on.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some recommendations for comfortable dress shoes, specific styles and brands? Ideally, somewhere I can go to and get properly fitted, I have had some bad luck with fitting in the past.
Schneider & Co in Oxford St, Darlinghurst have some Carminas, as do Harrolds in Collins St, Melbourne (only boots and loafers I think). There's a Harrolds in the Pitt St Mall Westfield, no idea what they might have, if anything.

Top Change

Reaction score
If you're based in Sydney these guys are worth a crack, they're online but do fittings as well.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Where are you located and what do you mean by "dress shoes"? Are you looking for Oxfords and loafers etc?

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sangregris