• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation: Norvegese, Bentivegna, Goyser, BIG Stitch & BIG Welts ONLY!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Guess the maker ...

Thoughts on these, I am thinking of getting them

ikDXLE.JPG

ikDZTM.JPG

These are nice and the color is gorgeous
worship.gif

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
What construction is it? They call it norvegese and it's testoni's top of the line (amedeo testoni)

http://www.testoni.com/ under A. Testoni, click on norwegian construction

I love the Italian government. They are masters of regulation when it comes to their country's money-making industries. They have rules for exactly what an item must contain & how it must be made in order to call it something. From cognac to merlot wine, the place of origin of each ingredient, as well as the % of each ingredient used must be just so, to ensure uniformity. That way a customer always knows exactly what to expect.

For the term, "norvegese", that is not the case. Basically, you can call any kind of shoe construction "norvegese" and still get away with it. Traditionally (and under most definitions), norvegese construction requires the upper to be turned outward (rather than the the usual inward) & sewn directly into the top-sole. Some makers use a welt between the upper & the topsole. Personally, I have no problem with this, but some will say it's not really norvegese if a welt is used.

When it comes to norvegese, the Japanese (who LOVE norvegese & big stitching/ welts) have tried to label the different types of norvegese, but their terminology is not universally accepted.

welts.jpg

In this diagram, they differentiate between "norwegian" where the side stitch goes directly into the insole & "norvegese" where the side stitch does not. Most don't see a distinction in the 2, calling them both "norvegese".

Their "norwegian welted" still uses the side stitch directly into the insole, but just adds a welt to the outside. Most would say this is NOT true "norvegese" because the upper is not turned outward and stitched into the top-sole.

Here are 2 more examples of different makers' definition of "norvegese":

Bettanin & Venturi:
BettaninNorvegesediagram.jpg

Piergiacomi:
Piergiacominorvegese.jpg

I've got a diagram for Lattanzi somewhere, but can't find it right now. The point is, the upper is always turned outward and stitched into the topsole.

On your (and my) Testoni's (although I like your 2-tones better), the upper is NOT turned outward and sewn into the upper. I know the model is different, but the construction is the same.

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is a welt inside the upper, and the side stitch goes into that, then into the insole. I had tried to pull at my insole to see more clearly, but abandoned the idea, as I still like the shoes and wasn't ready to sacrifice them for the effort

So... by the Japanese diagram, these Testoni's are "Norwegian welted construction", just the welt is inside, rather than outside the upper (as in the diagram). Most makers would not call this "norvegese".

BUT, NONE of this really matters!!! The construction is still very nice & durable. They've still got that big stitch, and still make a very nice addition to this thread!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess the maker ...

Thoughts on these, I am thinking of getting them

ikDXLE.JPG

VERY nice split toe! I really like when a maker will use an exposed welt and add some kind of intricate design to it. Who is the mystery maker????

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni Limited Edition Norvegese (by the way, for all the Santoni posters, I LOVE 'EM!!!)

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Santoni has so many methods for doing Norvegese. These are the most "traditional" version, stitch straight into the top-sole. NO side stitch into the insole. Here they used a double stitch to make 'em more rugged.

PS: THESE ARE GETTING NO LOVE in the B&S thread now!!!! Stop sleeping, size 12's!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
VERY nice split toe! I really like when a maker will use an exposed welt and add some kind of intricate design to it. Who is the mystery maker????
Originally Posted by mr monty
These are nice and the color is gorgeous
worship.gif

Crockett & Jones

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ They are a little too chunky for me. What would I wear them with ? Havent figured that out. They dont seem to be the kind of shoes that would look OK with a suit

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Some ugly shoes in this thread, there is.

You are certainly a credit to open-mindedness and tolerance, friend!

I LOVE how you so easily call others' much-loved possessions, "ugly"!
You don't fool around with, "not my taste or style", that would be polite. That would show some culture and class. I suppose that's just not your "style" to show respect.

Some would say that your negative attitude is probably a result of poor breeding, poor parenting, or both, but I will abstain from doing so. When it comes to showing just what kind of a man you are, you do a fine job all by yourself.

Be Well

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ They are a little too chunky for me. What would I wear them with ? Havent figured that out. They dont seem to be the kind of shoes that would look OK with a suit

In my opinion, those type of shoes (as well as all the ones posted in this thread) are more or less about "attitude", rather than trying to figure out exactly what kind of outfit to wear them with. Rather than trying to match them with clothes or outfits, may I suggest trying to match them with your own attitude/ style/ presence. If your personal attitude/ style/ presence is right (and strong enough), you can pull them off. Even with a suit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
You are certainly a credit to open-mindedness and tolerance, friend!

I LOVE how you so easily call others' much-loved possessions, "ugly"!
You don't fool around with, "not my taste or style", that would be polite. That would show some culture and class. I suppose that's just not your "style" to show respect.

Some would say that your negative attitude is probably a result of poor breeding, poor parenting, or both, but I will abstain from doing so. When it comes to showing just what kind of a man you are, you do a fine job all by yourself.

Be Well

Wow, I love the irony.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lidfort Norvegese Captoe Bluchers:

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9187.jpg

I think Lidfort is VERY under-rated, as far as quality shoe construction goes. I'm guessing they are out of business now, as they have no website, and I cannot find any for sale (other than on SF, of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads