• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
It would be interesting if everyone would state which of their Aldens get the most compliments from laypersons. Sometimes, shoes like these or the Chromexcel Indy's seem to get more reaction from people on the street than a lot of the cordovan shoes.

Not counting comments from my wife, who compliments my whiskey PTBs every time I wear them ("They look like butterscotch"), here is my list:

Top compliment-receiver: 911s (tan calfskin medallion toe bals), with grand total of 2 compliments. Ever.
Tied for second with 1 compliment each: brown chromexcel Ultimate Indy's, cigar NSTs.

I don't think anyone ever looks at my shoes other than me.
shog[1].gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcbrown
Not counting comments from my wife, who compliments my whiskey PTBs every time I wear them ("They look like butterscotch"), here is my list:

Top compliment-receiver: 911s (tan calfskin medallion toe bals), with grand total of 2 compliments. Ever.
Tied for second with 1 compliment each: brown chromexcel Ultimate Indy's, cigar NSTs.

I don't think anyone ever looks at my shoes other than me.
shog[1].gif

I know people love my Ralph Lauren Darlton's and Ultimate Indy's.

I have recieved comments on both pairs of my PTB's and people notice my other shoes and boots I know.

Also my white suede saddle shoes have recieved a lot of compliments and interest.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Burra

Reaction score
I am wearing my new 405s for the first time right now.

Few intial thoughts:

They are stiffer than I thought they would be. The top around the ankles is really stiff, and hurting me to wear in. Hoping it doesn't last long.

The fit for my toes is perfect, but again, the rise doesn't quite match. I tried to do them up tight, and they don't come together as other boots do. I don't know if this is normal or not, but the laces actually get further apart, like there isn't enough shoe/leather there to bring the sides around together, or something.

Not sure if I am making sense.

I ran them over last night with general leather softener, and maybe I need some more.

There are also some imperfections that I guess all hand made shoes have. I have a small case of OCD, so it is enough for me to notice and frown at. The rubber on the heel doesn't fit the leather part. It hangs over on the front of the left heel by a good millimetre.

I also notice there is minimal padding for insoles. Almost none. Just a thin leather layer.

I think I will love them, but they hurt for now.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burra
I am wearing my new 405s for the first time right now. Few intial thoughts: They are stiffer than I thought they would be. The top around the ankles is really stiff, and hurting me to wear in. Hoping it doesn't last long. [...] I ran them over last night with general leather softener, and maybe I need some more. [...] I also notice there is minimal padding for insoles. Almost none. Just a thin leather layer. I think I will love them, but they hurt for now.
They'll soften up eventually. They take a few weeks to break in.
Originally Posted by Roguls
Do you wear/like/are interested in the Modified Last? Please check out the link below. I'm looking to begin the process of soliciting Alden to allow U.S. retailers to order special makeups in Shell Cordovan (currently Alden only allows shell makeups in this amazingly comfortable last to retailers in Japan and France). http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...59#post4301159 This is what a modified boot in shell can be:
BOOTSRAVELLOCORDOVAN.jpg

Originally Posted by tarnow
+1 on Modified Shells Moulded Shoe 'owns' the Alden US modified market and thus, selection and pricing is very limited and pricey (minimum $450 per style). I own 5 pairs of Modified Aldens; 2 x 5921 (snuff and black suede, rubber sole), 2 x #591 (discontinued nubuck black and brown, rubber sole), and 1 x #542 (brown calf, leather sole); all in either 3E or 4E. I'm awaiting a special markup (ordered thru Moulded in December) for a chocolate suede long wing, metal eyelids, with rubber sole. The cost is ridiculous (for a suede shoe) but unfortunately, there is no other available option for purchasing this style shoe. Again, sign me up... TA Massachusetts (home of the Alden mother ship)
What's so special about the modified? I agree it's better than the Trubalance/Barrie, but... why not lobby for more in the Plaza or Grant or Aberdeen? Those are three of Alden's better lasts, maybe their three best. Different strokes... EDIT: Tarnow, also, care to share the final price of your special make up through Moulded Shoe?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, for one, would love to own some Aberdeen last Aldens. However, they are way too narrow for my feet.

FedEx just dropped off my natural chromexcel Indy Oxfords. I must say they look a lot better in person than in pictures. They also came with two sets of laces.

What's the procedure for these bad boys? Just wear them and don't clean them? I usually use the AE leather lotion to clean the non shells after about 8-10 wears, Indy 405s included.

raven37457

Reaction score
New to the world of Alden. I am looking to purchase a wing tip dress shoe. Does anyone have experience with the non Shell Cordovan Alden options? Are they recommended over other brands including Grenson, AE, etc.? Thanks

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457
New to the world of Alden. I am looking to purchase a wing tip dress shoe. Does anyone have experience with the non Shell Cordovan Alden options? Are they recommended over other brands including Grenson, AE, etc.? Thanks
I can only compare them to AE and I think Aldens blow them out of the water. Mind you that I was able to pick up my AE dress shoes from Nordstrom Rack for about $150-200 so prices also differ a lot. I have the tannish J. Crew LWB's, regular calf, not shell, and I love it.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burra
I am wearing my new 405s for the first time right now.

Few intial thoughts:

They are stiffer than I thought they would be. The top around the ankles is really stiff, and hurting me to wear in. Hoping it doesn't last long.

The fit for my toes is perfect, but again, the rise doesn't quite match. I tried to do them up tight, and they don't come together as other boots do. I don't know if this is normal or not, but the laces actually get further apart, like there isn't enough shoe/leather there to bring the sides around together, or something.

Not sure if I am making sense.

I ran them over last night with general leather softener, and maybe I need some more.

There are also some imperfections that I guess all hand made shoes have. I have a small case of OCD, so it is enough for me to notice and frown at. The rubber on the heel doesn't fit the leather part. It hangs over on the front of the left heel by a good millimetre.

I also notice there is minimal padding for insoles. Almost none. Just a thin leather layer.

I think I will love them, but they hurt for now.

1. Give them a few wearings, for most people, they will feel much better.
2. Don't overuse leather softener, as it can also break down the toe box and heel counter.
3. Shoes don't always lace together, it depends upon the height of your instep, among other factors. If your shoe did lace all the way together at the beginning, what would happen if the leather stretched?
4. Under the leather insole is a layer of cork. If you are used to sneaker style insoles, it takes some getting used to, but once it molds to your foot it will be very comfortable.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457

Leather does not get enough love. It is as good as cordovan in its own way. It has some advantages that cordavan does not. I have dark brown long wings from Leather Soul that are similar to the J Crew ones and they are fantastic. Considering I have Cigar Shell Longwings which I wear as well should tell you that it is a great option. I have a pair of leather wingtips in oxblood or #8, whatever you want to call the leather version. I love them and they get a lot of wear. I messed them up and need to do some intensive work on them but they will be in the rotation for a long time.

Then I have these Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Black Pebble Grain Longwings and always love wearing them:

01AH_BLACK

I do not have a pair of Leather Soul's American Longwing but it is the shoe I really love whenever I see it:

alw1.jpg

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...ican-longwing/

Burra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
1. Give them a few wearings, for most people, they will feel much better.
2. Don't overuse leather softener, as it can also break down the toe box and heel counter.
3. Shoes don't always lace together, it depends upon the height of your instep, among other factors. If your shoe did lace all the way together at the beginning, what would happen if the leather stretched?
4. Under the leather insole is a layer of cork. If you are used to sneaker style insoles, it takes some getting used to, but once it molds to your foot it will be very comfortable.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads