1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah id give my left nut for the 4x4's as well. fortunately i have the #4/black shell saddles to hold me over but it looks like ill never get a chance at those 4x4 ever again :(

2. marg

marg Senior member

What's with all the talk of giving up nuts for shoes? I'm pretty sure a potential seller won't want your used ball - they like money. Go get some and convince an owner to sell. If your willing to part with a testicle, paying double or triple retail shouldn't be a problem.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Well they were just talking about their left nut.

4. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

Any chance we'll see another snuff suede LWB anytime in the near future?

5. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Finally got my pair of the J.Crew captoes that I order sometime before the summer. They sent me a pair a few months ago with the worst stitching where you could literally pull the top and see the two pieces of leather separating. I returned them and had to wait for a restock. I get the second pair yesterday. No Alden box, no shoe bags, nothing. Just some flimsy, battered J. Crew box and documentation. The shoe looks like its been worn (probably tried on and worn around an uncarpeted floor) so it already has some creasing and 3 very loose speed hooks (kind of strange that I had to wait for a restock but still received shoes that someone else had purchased at one time). I know I'm being anal about this, but fuck it, they're going back and I'm just gonna get a refund this time around.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I wouldn't call you anal, loose speed hooks are easy to fix, but pretty unacceptable for new product, Alden really need to tidy up their QC, or JCrew should have watched better...

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

I had a very similar situation with JC Alden’s in the spring. Twice it happened - the shoes came with no Alden box, no shoe bags, and clearly a bit muffed up.

Fk, I was pissed. I gathered my complaints and went to the top. Mr. Mickey Drexler heard from me.
    3 Hours later, I got a response from Mickey saying clearly this is wrong and he would get it fixed. The next day a personal shopper called me. They overnighted me a brand new pair, with box and shoe bags.

Email Mickey and let him know. I think he appreciated hearing these kind of things.

8. RST1978

RST1978 New Member

9. randomkoreandude

do the guys who purchased the new #8 shortwing NOT own #8 longwings?

do you plan on wearing both regularly?

10. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Sounds like someone is trying to justify an additional purchase? Maybe using the right nut this time?

1 person likes this.
  11. randomkoreandude

haha exactly ... for some reason it looks like a pair in my size is still alive and now trying to figure out if i really want/need it

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I own shortwing and longwings in roughly the same shades and wear them both regularly. I find that the shortwings work better in more formal settings while the longwings work well in formal but are much better as a casual shoe than the shortwing.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

rkd, they are too similar. if it was a shortwing in cigar, then I would say go for it. I think you are better off with the C&J for RL Darlton wingtip.

14. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

NAMOR, good news. PM me ASAP!!!!!

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

pm'd! you sir are the man. thanks for helping me out

16. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

^

Did you guys get it worked out with Alden about the stitching on that pair of boots?

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

we (beowolf, mostly) did. they should arrive on Saturday. will post pics. fingers crossed...

18. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

hey rkd, i purposely held off on buying a #8 lw, hoping that one day i would find a #8 sw...i couldn;t be happier with this shoe! as #8 is my favorite color of the cordovan's (ya i know, prolly in the minority here). this was my holy grail! that said the decision is a win-win either way...

19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I have the same issue: my left is an E, while the right a D. I've found some success in taking the left shoes/boots to a cobbler for widening. The best is going big, though; tight shoes are awful.

20. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

So, I have a question about Alden re-crafting. A little while ago, I picked up a pair of Leydon lasted Aldens in 11.5D off eBay ---- normally my size. However, I soon learned that the prior owner had substantially smaller feet than mine, as is evidenced by the imprint on the foot bed and the padding buttressing the tongue and heel of each shoe. This shouldn't be a big problem because I know that I wear 11.5D on the Leydon last and my foot fits comfortably in the shoe ---- when standing still.

The problem begins when I walk. The sole is worn and has broken in at a point that is under the ball of a shorter foot. When I walk, the ball of my foot drifts back into the shorter break as my feet are shoved back into the heels of the shoes. This becomes quite painful after several hours. I had hoped that by wearing the shoes, they would break in and fit my foot. So far, no such luck.

So, for all you Alden fans that have had shoes recrafted, my question is this: will the recrafting process fix these shoes so that they fit on my feet? It is my understanding that the re-crafting process replaces the cork footbed and the soles of the shoes. The refurbished shoe should break in to my foot just as a new shoe would --- am I right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.