1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

This apparently has been a banner couple-of-years for Alden.

But yes, the occasionally do run out of rare shells. There was a months-long cigar shortage, I believe, four or five years ago.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

lol, touche. $90 shipped both ways

3. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

I think there is a global supply shortage for shell. I was asking about shell options at Edward Green recently and they told me that they can't get their hands on any. Pretty much all good shell leather comes from Horween, and they seem not to be able to keep up with the big surge in demand that appears to have taken off in recent years. I was told that by agreement Alden is usually able to speak for a good size of Horween's production, which makes it difficult for other shoemakers. But if even Alden is having trouble keeping supplied, the demand for shell must be very high right now.

4. marg

marg Senior member

you can probably thank each other for that...stupid internets

:D

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

does anyone else find it ironic that g.micheal's comment about the cigar shell shortage is sandwhiched by two pics of cigar shell? haaaandwhiched by two pics of cigar shell? haaa

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

i want those boots

7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Has anyone gotten a ShoeMart 2nds e-mail lately?

Last one I received was in June.

8. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Yes--makes me look like I'm crazy. Which is the way I like it.:nodding:

9. ConcreteFiction

ConcreteFiction Senior member

Hey guys -- I've been ogling this thread for awhile and pulled the trigger on some Alden x J. Crews from the internets. They came today, slightly tight in the right foot unfortunately -- 9D and I waver between D & E.

From experience, will this stretch at all? I would say it's not uncomfortable, but noticeably tighter than the left foot, which felt perfect. I was wearing medium-weight socks when wearing them.

Also, and this will help me down the road -- does anyone happen to know this model's last? Or if not, have a good guess? Searches have been fruitless so far.

Thanks much. I still may keep these... they're so beautiful...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ConcreteFiction

ConcreteFiction Senior member

Hey guys -- I've been ogling this thread for awhile and pulled the trigger on some Alden x J. Crews from the internets. They came today, slightly tight in the right foot unfortunately -- 9D and I waver between D & E.

From experience, will this stretch at all? I would say it's not uncomfortable, but noticeably tighter than the left foot, which felt perfect. I was wearing medium-weight socks when wearing them.

Also, and this will help me down the road -- does anyone happen to know this model's last? Or if not, have a good guess? Searches have been fruitless so far.

Thanks much. I still may keep these... they're so beautiful, it's hard to want to let them go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Looking sharp! Those look like the Leffot model with the blind eyelets & speed hooks.

12. jslade

jslade Senior member

Just placed an order for a pair of Pitt Boots from Leather Soul. Real excited to receive these next week. :) I'm a 9.5D on the Brannock scale, and sized down to a size 9. Bryan from LS told me that these would be okay if hit with a bit of snow or rain, so these should be pretty good for my purposes.

First Alden's -- pretty excited!

13. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Senior member

Congratulations. Which Pitt? The CXL?

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Congrats man! I'm excited for yeah. you'll love these to death

15. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Or shoe manufacturers won't pay the "market rate" for shell. I'm pretty sure that Horween could hire more people and produce more shell but when you add up pricing pressures, exchange rate issues and an uncertain global economic outlook the shoe manufacturers face sometimes it is just easier for them to say that "they can't get their hands on any" shell.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

aaaand we have a winnner!

17. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Does the Barrie last fit similar to C&J's 325 last? I have the Pembroke shortwing, which I love, and I'm wondering how Barrie-like it is.

18. jslade

jslade Senior member

Hey, thanks guys. Yes, I ordered them in the CXL. I'm hoping that these can be worn as casually as I'd like to wear them. ;) I'll post pictures when they arrive.

19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Nope. Doesn't fit similarly at all. The 325 has the narrow at the heel, wider at the front shape that resembles most human feet. The Barrie does not. I love the 325 last by the way.

20. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Thanks. I was wondering if there was any point in trying a Barrie-lasted shoe at some point, but I think the answer is a resounding no. I love the 325 last, but I do get the tiniest bit of heel slippage on it, which means I have no chance of fitting the Barrie. Which is fine with meā€”that's why a group order would be amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.