• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smah
Hello SF Members-
Has anyone experienced really slippery situations with their 'waterlock' oiled soles?
I have had serious near falls with oiled soles on polished stone/marble floors on rainy days and these are with broken-in well worn shoes. Anyone else? I am seriously considering NOT ever getting oiled soles ever again especially because my local shoe fix-it guru can't place a rubber half sole on them due to the oil in the sole which won't allow a good bond with adhesives. Just can't wear them on rainy days, I suppose. Anyone else have issues like mine?
Thanks-
Steve

I had that problem at first with my unlined chukkas. I had a couple close calls, but after they scuffed it was fine.

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
F**K! I knew that someone must've returned them. I was initially going to order from Alden SF but since I'm in CT i figured it be quicker (shipping wise) to go through shoemart. I was a tad suspicious that they had this size available. Those A** Holes! They should have taken them off their site when you returned them. Did you end up getting another pair?

They are gorgeous boots otherwise. It saddened me a bit to return them. Haven't pulled the trigger on new ones as I have already reached my new shoe limit for the moment and probably for the year. SM was good about comping my return shipping btw.

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beyachad
Are these the size 8.5D I returned last month? The finish bothered me too - for the price they should be in better condition.

Funny, I was going to order those when they reappeared. I'm glad I hesitated.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Does anyone here get Alden belts to match their Aldens? If so, can you weigh in on the quality and sizing? Thanks.

I picked up a snuff suede belt to match my snuff suede strong wings from Leffot. Leather is butter soft and I sized up to a 36 (I have a 33/34 waist)

mcross4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Another shot of the snuff that I had posted earlier in the week. They look great in person, imho.

They look really great. Question for you: since they are semi-lined, how does the fit compare to the unlined chukka, i.e., is the toe box more reinforced like a regular PT Blucher? Or does it end up looking a little flat and slipper-ish?

TheExit148

Reaction score
My latest, and probably last pair of Alden Boots. LTD Adventurebilt Alden 405's. Love these boots. Its a thicker leather then the standard Indy, obvious darker brown, dark moc toe stitching, all leather lined, and are built same exactly the same as the vintage 405 boots of the late 70's early 80's (which is different then today's 405, 403, 404 from Alden). Even the die logo inside the shoe is the vintage 80's version. Had to wait a year for them to be made, and then had to send them back to the factory as the tongue was too small. Just got them back today. It's hard to capture the true colour of the boots in the light in my place, but this is the best I could do. w/o flash
lnEod.jpg
w/flash
SWltv.jpg

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheExit148
My latest, and probably last pair of Alden Boots. LTD Adventurebilt Alden 405's. Love these boots. Its a thicker leather then the standard Indy, obvious darker brown, dark moc toe stitching, all leather lined, and are built same exactly the same as the vintage 405 boots of the late 70's early 80's (which is different then today's 405, 403, 404 from Alden). Even the die logo inside the shoe is the vintage 80's version. Had to wait a year for them to be made, and then had to send them back to the factory as the tongue was too small. Just got them back today. It's hard to capture the true colour of the boots in the light in my place, but this is the best I could do.

w/o flash

w/flash

Very unique. congratulations.
smile.gif

vivalet

Reaction score
love these!

Originally Posted by CEE88
Chromexcel Tuesday

pZYx2l.jpg

Notes:

The "Clipper Oxford" has been in the Alden catalog for nearly 100 years and is one of their best selling patterns to this day.

Crafted from Brown Chromexcel leather from Chicago's Horween Leather Co.

360 degree reverse welt, painted brown brass eyelets, full leather linings, natural cork insole, full heel counters and steel shank through the arch for long lasting comfort and support.

Very versitile.

Commando sole (Leffots recently had a similar shoe with blind eyelets & a crepe sole)

Currently, my favorite shoe.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Hi folks, Do the J.Crew cap toe Cordovan boots (Barrie last) fit basically the same as non boots on the Barrie last like the 975? Or do they feel any looser or tighter?
It has been a while so I am going from memory but IIRC my Barrie lasted boots seemed slightly smaller than my Barrie Lasted PTB's. I have several pairs of PTB's in Barrie and only one pair of Barrie lasted Plain toe Boots in black shell. I wish there was more science to this but really if we do mail order it is kind of a blind voodoo until you get to know what personally fits. Good Luck.
smile.gif
EDIT: To keep this from getting out of hand I would like to add that both fit and I have no problem. I just notice the boots seem to be ever so slightly smaller and actually look sleeker than the shoes. Just my opinion. YMMV

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcross4
They look really great. Question for you: since they are semi-lined, how does the fit compare to the unlined chukka, i.e., is the toe box more reinforced like a regular PT Blucher? Or does it end up looking a little flat and slipper-ish?

There is not a lot of reinforcement in the toe, but so far they are holding their shape well like a regular PTB. I guess time will tell.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is due to the fact that the boot feels more snug since it supports your ankle.

Originally Posted by Ahab
It has been a while so I am going from memory but IIRC my Barrie lasted boots seemed slightly smaller than my Barrie Lasted PTB's. I have several pairs of PTB's in Barrie and only one pair of Barrie lasted Plain toe Boots in black shell. I wish there was more science to this but really if we do mail order it is kind of a blind voodoo until you get to know what personally fits. Good Luck.
smile.gif

EDIT: To keep this from getting out of hand I would like to add that both fit and I have no problem. I just notice the boots seem to be ever so slightly smaller and actually look sleeker than the shoes. Just my opinion. YMMV

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Another shot of the snuff that I had posted earlier in the week. They look great in person, imho.

These look great. Love the contrast edging, light stitching and colored eyelets. Alden is doing a different makeup of this model than last year. I have the sand and dark brown suede ptbs from Alden Madison Ave., and they have blind eyelets.

BTW, picked up a sand suede belt with nickel buckle from the DC store last week. My compliments to Kathleen for her great customer service in trying to get my shoe sizes fitted correctly. She is great to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads