***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Oh, didn't realize you were in Tokyo.
    Anyway, Alden has used different edges on their shoes. Guess you need to decide if it is black or dark brown. My guess is that it's black.

Per Alden SF it's brown. That's what I use.

2. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

^ A problem with that graphic is "size down 1/2" is primary size advice *only if* the shoes you are considering are offered in *only one* width.

Shoes are sized in length (the number) and width (the letter). There is no "Alden 9." The graphic assumes that all 9s are the same width (i.e., 9D). This misses one of the great advantages that shoes of Alden's quality can offer ... more precise sizing options.

If multiple widths are available, "size down one width" could (or should) be better advice.

E.g., if 10D is a perfect fit for you on the Plaza, the 9.5D Van might be a little too short and a little too wide compared to the 10C Van.

But ... if you are considering a special make-up that is only offered in D widths ... then the 10.5D Van will surely fit better than the 11D Van.

3. mcross4

mcross4 Member

I know they're simple, but I really appreciate the simplicity of these AF89s. A basic black boot is hard to find. I've worn them a few times now and they feel great.
    [​IMG]

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Good point Dewey. I take a 12D in most shoes and usually size down 1/2 size for Barrie, Grant, Trubalance, Tremont. I also own a pair of size 11E Cordovan Chukkas on the Barrie last and they fit great. I also fit into a 11D Trubalance if I wear dress socks. The range of fits vary greatly.

Another example: most people say Plaza fits TTS but I find myself in between sizes. I have two pairs in Cordovan, one in 12D and one in 11.5D and they both fit well depending on what socks I wear. I think at the end of the day I would rather size down half a size and stay with the D width instead of sizing down one full size and getting an E width. Unless that E width is on sale of course
    [​IMG]

5. marg

marg Senior member

Cigar cap toes? On the Aberdeen last? From where?

Sherman brothers. They are also doing something in whiskey. I think it's a medallion toe blucher but I don't remember.

6. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

I know they're simple, but I really appreciate the simplicity of these AF89s. A basic black boot is hard to find. I've worn them a few times now and they feel great.

Couldnt agree more.
    Love those boots.

7. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail.

My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.

[​IMG]

8. mcross4

mcross4 Member

Chromexcel Tuesday

[​IMG]

Notes:

The "Clipper Oxford" has been in the Alden catalog for nearly 100 years and is one of their best selling patterns to this day.

Crafted from Brown Chromexcel leather from Chicago's Horween Leather Co.

360 degree reverse welt, painted brown brass eyelets, full leather linings, natural cork insole, full heel counters and steel shank through the arch for long lasting comfort and support.

Very versitile.

Commando sole (Leffots recently had a similar shoe with blind eyelets & a crepe sole)

Currently, my favorite shoe.

Beautiful shoe! Where did those come from?

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Beautiful shoe! Where did those come from?

Winn Perry.

10. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

11. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail. My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.
    I've seen stretch marks before in lighter color shell cordovan. It's a characteristic of shell. That sounds more like a Horween issue than Alden. Granted, Alden should probably catch the fault in the leather. They don't go away, at least not quickly.

12. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I've seen stretch marks before in lighter color shell cordovan. It's a characteristic of shell. That sounds more like a Horween issue than Alden. Granted, Alden should probably catch the fault in the leather. They don't go away, at least not quickly.

Yeah, I sent them back to shoemart today and ordered another pair through Alden SF this time. Lets see how this pair looks, lol.

13. Beyachad

Beyachad Active Member

I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail.

My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.

[​IMG]

Are these the size 8.5D I returned last month? The finish bothered me too - for the price they should be in better condition.

14. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Are these the size 8.5D I returned last month? The finish bothered me too - for the price they should be in better condition.

F**K! I knew that someone must've returned them. I was initially going to order from Alden SF but since I'm in CT i figured it be quicker (shipping wise) to go through shoemart. I was a tad suspicious that they had this size available. Those A** Holes! They should have taken them off their site when you returned them. Did you end up getting another pair?

15. smah

smah Member

Hello SF Members-
    Has anyone experienced really slippery situations with their 'waterlock' oiled soles?
    I have had serious near falls with oiled soles on polished stone/marble floors on rainy days and these are with broken-in well worn shoes. Anyone else? I am seriously considering NOT ever getting oiled soles ever again especially because my local shoe fix-it guru can't place a rubber half sole on them due to the oil in the sole which won't allow a good bond with adhesives. Just can't wear them on rainy days, I suppose. Anyone else have issues like mine?
    Thanks-
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.