• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up the first of my Lessers today, this one from Carlo Barbera...English firm, Italian cloth, American wearer, a truly global sartorial make-up:
IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Vest was not ready, but it is a 3 piece. Nice fabric to make great separates too. Interesting suit, nice sport jacket...I love it, and with a high of 42F Monday, I'll be wearing it.

Some pattern changes made for this:
Collar is much closer and really hugs my neck well and the pants have a higher rise and wider leg opening while remaining slim in the middle. Not quite a boot cut, but no taper at all. 2" cuffs. Originally thought three roll two, but decided on just a simple two button as it looked so crisp during the first fitting.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks lovely. I'm quite interested in how the trouser shape works out, looking forward to pictures...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this is a Barbera cloth? It looks like the typical 13oz Lesser herringbone. I thought the Barbera cloths carried by Lessers were only sport coat fabrics and not suiting like this one. I'm a little confused by this whole "English firm, Italian cloth" comment...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I thought the Barbera cloths carried by Lessers were only sport coat fabrics and not suiting like this one.

That's what I thought as well.

courty

Reaction score
Many of the Barbera cloths were suitings as well. I recall a pale grey broken herringbone/barleycorn made into three piece that looked great.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt that Carlo Barbera makes suiting cloth but were any carried by HL ? I've never seen them in HL books or whenever DL sent me swatches - the CB ones always seem to be sport coat cloths.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have a Barbera for Lesser blue/grey flannel in stock that is not from the Barbera for Lesser sportcoat book so other cloths do exist. Both names are on the selvedge. Not sure where or how to find them or if another book exists. Bought this from Isles. Color and weight are perfect, bought all they had.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool - I didn't know that. So, what did HL source from CB and what did they make themselves? Any idea what the distinction is - type of weave, maybe material?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Have a Barbera for Lesser blue/grey flannel in stock that is not from the Barbera for Lesser sportcoat book so other cloths do exist. Both names are on the selvedge. Not sure where or how to find them or if another book exists. Bought this from Isles. Color and weight are perfect, bought all they had.

I believe there's a length with my name on it for next fall!
worship.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is on the bottom of my queue:
IMG_3326.jpg

This is the only shot of it before making, no selvedge shot, but Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket, I'll find it and photo it. IIRC this was a sportcoating that I just had made into a three piece. Like I said, its a staid SC, but an "interesting suit". Its certainly an "Italian cloth" but the Lesser brothers had them make for them. Hence Italian cloth, English firm.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket

I thought that was solely a quirk of my tailor but i guess not.

courty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
This is on the bottom of my queue:
IMG_3326.jpg

This is the only shot of it before making, no selvedge shot, but Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket, I'll find it and photo it. IIRC this was a sportcoating that I just had made into a three piece. Like I said, its a staid SC, but an "interesting suit". Its certainly an "Italian cloth" but the Lesser brothers had them make for them. Hence Italian cloth, English firm.

This is from the same Lesser/Barbera book I am familiar with. Its a nice cloth but I have not seen anything like it in a while. Scabal used to sell something like it - a softer, fuzzier, version of sharkskin - but I think they discontinued it along with their other cloths I liked. Does anybody know if the Silver Gander is still available?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics