Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Picked up the first of my Lessers today, this one from Carlo Barbera...English firm, Italian cloth, American wearer, a truly global sartorial make-up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vest was not ready, but it is a 3 piece. Nice fabric to make great separates too. Interesting suit, nice sport jacket...I love it, and with a high of 42F Monday, I'll be wearing it.

Some pattern changes made for this:
    Collar is much closer and really hugs my neck well and the pants have a higher rise and wider leg opening while remaining slim in the middle. Not quite a boot cut, but no taper at all. 2" cuffs. Originally thought three roll two, but decided on just a simple two button as it looked so crisp during the first fitting.

2. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

That looks lovely. I'm quite interested in how the trouser shape works out, looking forward to pictures...

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

That looks lovely. I'm quite interested in how the trouser shape works out, looking forward to pictures...

+1

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Are you sure this is a Barbera cloth? It looks like the typical 13oz Lesser herringbone. I thought the Barbera cloths carried by Lessers were only sport coat fabrics and not suiting like this one. I'm a little confused by this whole "English firm, Italian cloth" comment...

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I thought the Barbera cloths carried by Lessers were only sport coat fabrics and not suiting like this one.

That's what I thought as well.

6. courty

courty Senior member

Many of the Barbera cloths were suitings as well. I recall a pale grey broken herringbone/barleycorn made into three piece that looked great.

7. gdl203

No doubt that Carlo Barbera makes suiting cloth but were any carried by HL ? I've never seen them in HL books or whenever DL sent me swatches - the CB ones always seem to be sport coat cloths.

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have a Barbera for Lesser blue/grey flannel in stock that is not from the Barbera for Lesser sportcoat book so other cloths do exist. Both names are on the selvedge. Not sure where or how to find them or if another book exists. Bought this from Isles. Color and weight are perfect, bought all they had.

9. gdl203

Cool - I didn't know that. So, what did HL source from CB and what did they make themselves? Any idea what the distinction is - type of weave, maybe material?

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have a Barbera for Lesser blue/grey flannel in stock that is not from the Barbera for Lesser sportcoat book so other cloths do exist. Both names are on the selvedge. Not sure where or how to find them or if another book exists. Bought this from Isles. Color and weight are perfect, bought all they had.

I believe there's a length with my name on it for next fall![​IMG]

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe there's a length with my name on it for next fall![​IMG]

You are correct sir!

12. NewYorkIslander

This is on the bottom of my queue:
    [​IMG]
    This is the only shot of it before making, no selvedge shot, but Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket, I'll find it and photo it. IIRC this was a sportcoating that I just had made into a three piece. Like I said, its a staid SC, but an "interesting suit". Its certainly an "Italian cloth" but the Lesser brothers had them make for them. Hence Italian cloth, English firm.

13. NewYorkIslander

Cool - I didn't know that. So, what did HL source from CB and what did they make themselves? Any idea what the distinction is - type of weave, maybe material?

HL does not make cloth.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket

I thought that was solely a quirk of my tailor but i guess not.

15. courty

courty Senior member

This is on the bottom of my queue:
    [​IMG]
    This is the only shot of it before making, no selvedge shot, but Frank usually cuts it so the selvedge is on the inside of a pocket, I'll find it and photo it. IIRC this was a sportcoating that I just had made into a three piece. Like I said, its a staid SC, but an "interesting suit". Its certainly an "Italian cloth" but the Lesser brothers had them make for them. Hence Italian cloth, English firm.

This is from the same Lesser/Barbera book I am familiar with. Its a nice cloth but I have not seen anything like it in a while. Scabal used to sell something like it - a softer, fuzzier, version of sharkskin - but I think they discontinued it along with their other cloths I liked. Does anybody know if the Silver Gander is still available?