• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather cracking on EGs - please advise

Coburn

Reaction score
Informative thread.
Thanks to everyone.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have many pairs of shoes that I have owned for 10+ years including at least one pair that is 26+ years old (that happen to be similar to the OP's black shoes). I have never had this kind of cracking. To keep my shoes in condition I simply used a Meltonian colored creme polish and then kiwi or similar brands of wax as needed. I believe in rubbing it well into the leather. I also use shoe trees. All of my shoes have been soaked in the rain and left to naturally air dry away from the heat.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
This was a tough attrition laden thread, with some potent insights. DWFII my respect for you has increased five fold, you are a true professional - well done.
Thank you. A dram with you, sir!
lagavul2.jpg
Slainte

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a further shoe care product update - jm weston creams are not made by saphir, but by famaco .... however formulation smells similar and jar says beeswax based (think i may have posted otherwise in the past, so apologies fellow shoe doods).

Tibo

Reaction score
Back to the original topic- last mail was sent to EG on Friday, and still no reaction whatsoever (and 4 people are copied in the email)... Wonder how much more I'll have to wait ...

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Back to the original topic- last mail was sent to EG on Friday, and still no reaction whatsoever (and 4 people are copied in the email)... Wonder how much more I'll have to wait ...

I would give it a week since you sent the email just before the weekend and I'm sure they receive quite a bit of emails that they have to filter through channels. I'm sure its tough to wait that long.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
I would give it a week since you sent the email just before the weekend and I'm sure they receive quite a bit of emails that they have to filter through channels. I'm sure its tough to wait that long.
I would agree, but they have always been very responsive when I sent emails, so I don't see why it should take more time now that the discussion has become a bit more tense...

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
I stand corrected.

Maybe they use the entire animal in mysterious ways. I have a collection of English watercolor brushes made from a mink-like animal called a Kolinsky. It takes the tail hair of 1500 animals to make a dozen brushes of a certain size, each individual hair graded by microscopic (literally) examination. The brushes aren't cheap, as you might imagine.

The best is Windsor & Newton series 7, named after Queen Victoria favourite brush size 7.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
The best is Windsor & Newton series 7, named after Queen Victoria favourite brush size 7.

Exactly right. Those are the brushes. I have many of them, some I've had for several decades.

well-kept

Reaction score
By the way, walking around Manhattan today I passed a man wearing a pair of black shoes which were every bit as cracked as those worn by Prince Charles.

Here's the thing: If everyone knows you are heir to the throne, your cracked shoes will have a certain charm. This man, on the other hand, looked like a derelict in them, which he may not have been at all.

It's all a matter of balance. I personally love old things, from furniture to clothing, but to wear aged clothes you need a counterbalancing factor - youth, beauty, wealth, fame, or that certain aristocratic bearing - a look which may not be easy to achieve.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly right. Those are the brushes. I have many of them, some I've had for several decades.

The old one was better made than new one, IMHO.
I have few of them, bought 20+yrs ago, when I was still a high school student. (I remember it cost ~USD300 to buy the size 12 at that time) yea, it sound crazy for a high school student, but anyway, Great brush!

Aldehyde

Reaction score
It's all a matter of balance. I personally love old things, from furniture to clothing, but to wear aged clothes you need a counterbalancing factor - youth, beauty, wealth, fame, or that certain aristocratic bearing - a look which may not be easy to achieve.

Lots of truth here.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Rider,

I know you are an advocate for Saphir Renovateur...and I don't want to step on your toes in that regard.

But didn't you say that it has mink oil in it?

And according to the interview that you quoted, isn't mink oil just an "euphemism for pig fat and silicone"?

So, just to get it straight in my own head, does Reno have silicone in it or not?

Just to finish this one up - and to the OP who also asked about the make-up of Renovateur....I just received the pdf file from the lab concerning the exact formula by %. It turns out 'Mink Oil' is in fact, Mink Oil. At least for Saphir.

'***** oil obtained from the subcutaneous fat of Mutela by extraction, then refined and winterized'.

As for silicone - none exists in Renovateur as confirmed by the owner this afternoon.

Never heard of Mutela, so I did a quick search......apparently it's good for stretch-marks also. Another use for Renovateur....Cheers!

Finally, just to clear another thing up I see posted around some; MDO Creams (Pommadier) are NOT beeswax based, they are Shea Butter based. The regular line Saphir creams are beeswax based.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Just to finish this one up - and to the OP who also asked about the make-up of Renovateur....I just received the pdf file from the lab concerning the exact formula by %. It turns out 'Mink Oil' is in fact, Mink Oil. At least for Saphir.

'***** oil obtained from the subcutaneous fat of Mutela by extraction, then refined and winterized'.

As for silicone - none exists in Renovateur as confirmed by the owner this afternoon.

Never heard of Mutela, so I did a quick search......apparently it's good for stretch-marks also. Another use for Renovateur....Cheers!

Finally, just to clear another thing up I see posted around some; MDO Creams (Pommadier) are NOT beeswax based, they are Shea Butter based. The regular line Saphir creams are beeswax based.

Excellent update. Since you mention it what are your thoughts on beeswax v. shea butter. Also, have you ever heard of Famaco (only thing that I can find online is he profile of a chemist who also worked for avel).

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Excellent update. Since you mention it what are your thoughts on beeswax v. shea butter. Also, have you ever heard of Famaco (only thing that I can find online is he profile of a chemist who also worked for avel).

Sure.

Honestly, I don't know the difference between beeswax and shea butter alone, but the cream MDO is far superior to the Saphir cream, IMO. The Saphir went on hard, and covered up ok, but not great...the MDO is very 'soft' and covers up and colors very well. I can assume the main base ingredient is a primary reason for this.

One thing for sure, I'm not interested in being a chemist.

Have no idea about Famaco, sorry. In a file of private label work I have (just to show clients how they can have things branded if interested) it includes JM Weston, but have no idea if it is current or not. Not my business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads