• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Basketball Season Boys

christinedaae

Reaction score
vcu very well could make it to the final four, no joke. they play fsu, who they will skull ****, then they got either kansas or richmond.. if i had to pick my number 1 seed, i'd pick kansas to play against every time, they choke every year, heck they might not get past richmond

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by christinedaae
if i had to pick my number 1 seed, i'd pick kansas to play against every time, they choke every year, heck they might not get past richmond
They're a 12 seed and an 11/10 seed away from going to their 8th Final Four in 25 years and they have more NCAA tournament wins than any other school over the last decade. Otherwise, spot on.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vcu very well could make it to the final four, no joke. they play fsu, who they will skull ****, then they got either kansas or richmond.. if i had to pick my number 1 seed, i'd pick kansas to play against every time, they choke every year, heck they might not get past richmond

Come on, VCU over UKan???

[EDIT: basically, what SH said.]

Sure, at this point in the tournament, "anyone" can make it to the FF, perhaps especially this year. But...not VCU. Sorry.

The East (#1 OSU, #2 UNC, #4 UKen, #11 Marquette) is a ***** right now, although I think Marquette will fade.
I had picked OSU, with fear of UNC.

The West (#1 Duke, #2 SDSU, #3 UConn, #5 AZ) likewise. Duke struggled today. UConn may get tired. AZ and SDSU are crapshoots; good day/bad day.
I had picked SDSU.

The Southeast (#2 FL, #3 BYU, #4 Wisc, #8 Butler) is still the weakest, and a complete toss-up. Butler might be the best team in that group, at this point.
I had picked...PITT.
redface.gif

The Southwest (#1 UKan, #10 FSU, #11 VCU, #12 Richmond) seems the easiest, for UKan.
I had picked UKan.

Yes, Kansas often fails to deliver, but only given their high seedings and yearly Nat. Champ. expectations, and they have a golden road to the FF now. They have a great team, experience, a great coach.

UKan will beat Richmond, and VCU will not "skull ****" FSU. FSU's d is the best in the nation, and that was amply demonstrated today against ND. I'd be more afraid, if I were a Kansas fan, of FSU than Richmond or VCU.

The one sure thing: It will be fun.
smile.gif

FWIW:
These are the RPI rankings (not that I give that much credence to these in MM) of the Sweet 16 teams.

1 Kansas
2 Ohio State
3 San Diego St
4 Duke
5 N Carolina
6 BYU
7 Kentucky
8 Florida
10 Connecticut
12 Wisconsin
15 Arizona
26 Butler
33 Richmond
35 Florida St
38 VCU
49 Marquette

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw the Arizona-Texas game, and boy did the refs blow things yet again. The worst was calling a five-second violation after...four seconds.

I love that we're going to have a 10 vs. 11 matchup--first time in tournament history! Tons of respect for Kansas, both their history and their current team, but I'd love to see any of those other three make it out of the SW bracket.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure why dudes didn't have faith in fsu. ND has been overrated, i said earlier they weren't that good (if I can point that out...) and FSU's style ***** up ND.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL @ The Big Least. Two out of their eleven teams are in the Sweet Sixteen. Of the nine that lost, six lost to lower seeds. The top three teams lost to opponents seeded at least seven spots lower.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to pick a highly rated perennial choker I would take PITT. How many Final Fours and Elite Eights do they have over the past five years? What was the average Tourney Seed they had over that time.

Every year I talk myself into picking them to go far, and every year it comes back to bite me **********.

facepalm.gif

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Just saw the Arizona-Texas game, and boy did the refs blow things yet again. The worst was calling a five-second violation after...four seconds.
Actually if you look at the replay it really was a full 5 seconds even if the ref was counting slow although Texas probably should have received the timeout. Still, I wouldn't say the refs won that game. Texas had plenty of chances at the end to both in bound the ball, to stop Williams and then to score again.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
That Southwest bracket is just insane.
eek.gif
1, 10, 11, 12. Has that ever happened before?

Michigan State beat a 16, 9, 12, and 11 to get to the Final Four in 2001.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
things are surprisingly subdued on campus. nobody seems to give a ****.

How was the heartache when yall lost to GSU?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion
Actually if you look at the replay it really was a full 5 seconds even if the ref was counting slow although Texas probably should have received the timeout. Still, I wouldn't say the refs won that game. Texas had plenty of chances at the end to both in bound the ball, to stop Williams and then to score again.

Um, the ref wasn't counting slow. He moved his arm four times and then called a violation. ESPN clocked it at clearly under five seconds. They blew tons of other calls in this game--for both sides--but how the hell do you screw up your own count?

I wanted Arizona to win and feel they "deserved" it more than Texas, but that was awful, awful refereeing. Anyway, I think/hope Williams will break out for a monster game against Duke.

And +1 to all the Big East hate. I don't really hate 'em, but man do they get a lot of love during the regular season.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Um, the ref wasn't counting slow. He moved his arm four times and then called a violation. ESPN clocked it at clearly under five seconds. They blew tons of other calls in this game--for both sides--but how the hell do you screw up your own count?
Well it appears to me that he was in the process of calling the 5th second. It is close call (it looks to me like it was called on 4.5 - 4.75 seconds). I think the old NCAA rule prohibiting timeouts after 4 seconds is what confused the ref. A screw up maybe but not as clear cut as some have stated.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
things are surprisingly subdued on campus. nobody seems to give a ****.
It's unbelievable that two schools from Richmond are in the Sweet 16. I'm sure the bars there are happy.

christinedaae

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
If I were to pick a highly rated perennial choker I would take PITT. How many Final Fours and Elite Eights do they have over the past five years? What was the average Tourney Seed they had over that time.

Every year I talk myself into picking them to go far, and every year it comes back to bite me **********.

facepalm.gif

I forgot about pitt. for all their "success" they have not been to a FF in 70 years.
But still, kansas, is no duke. least we not forgot last year kansas, basically this same team, lost to northern arizona. also the two teams they have played so far, have not been very good. They should handle richmond, but i'm telling you guys vcu is one of the most well rounded teams in the tounry, i don't care if they are an 11 seed. they can shot it, they have a legit big man, they are deep, they don't turn the ball over. they are going to be hell to knock out. They beat g'town raining threes, and then turn around and thumped perdue by feeding their big man. purdue had the Big 10 POY and he got schooled all game long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads