• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Basketball Season Boys

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Michigan State beat a 16, 9, 12, and 11 to get to the Final Four in 2001.

That was their run, though, from the 1st round, right?

I meant: has the Sweet 16 from one bracket ever comprised 1, 10, 11, 12 seeds (or lower)?

Originally Posted by christinedaae
But still, kansas, is no duke. least we not forgot last year kansas, basically this same team, lost to northern arizona.

Are you serious?

In 09-10 Kansas had these guys, in addition to the Morris twins and Morningstar/Taylor who are still there:
G - Sherron Collins (All-American; drafted NBA; plays in Lithuania)
G - Xavier Henry (NBA)
C - Cole Aldrich (All-American; NBA)

They don't have players like those 3 this year.

Now, perhaps that makes you think VCU can beat them this year, but UK is not the same team this year. They were G oriented last year; they are F-C oriented this year.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Did not think FSU had a chance against ND.

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
not sure why dudes didn't have faith in fsu. ND has been overrated, i said earlier they weren't that good (if I can point that out...) and FSU's style ***** up ND.

THIS. I love Notre Dame's style of offense, but I was more worried about the A&M game than the Notre Dame game. I didn't think it would be such a blowout (FSU does not normally shoot that well), but I wasn't surprised at the win.

FSU's defense is fierce and long (but if I hear the phrase "it's like they're seven guys in garnet out there" again I'll retch). And we got Chris Singleton (unanimous ACC defensive player of the year last year) back. Add in Notre Dame's severe case of TMWB and it wasn't hard to predict. Just a really bad matchup for the Irish. FSU plays 2-3 almost all the time, but it's a very active, high zone, and it guards the three point shot very well. If you take away UND's threes, they have to score mostly on pick-and-roll type stuff which isn't as effective against a zone, especially a well-rested one (FSU has a ten-man rotation).

I look forward to the VCU game. I have absolutely no idea what their team is like, but I'm cautiously optimistic. No chance we beat Kansas though
frown.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
our team is either very on or very off. strange. dont know if they can keep the underdog/underappreciated motivation going when they're being lauded on like every sports site.

edit: also slowly coming around. don't really care about college sports/basketball in particular, but maybe this will get the school more $ / press / funding!!

its good to be in the newspaper for something that isn't scandal related

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by christinedaae
But still, kansas, is no duke. least we not forgot last year kansas, basically this same team
you can't be serious with this.

Originally Posted by Teger
our team is either very on or very off. strange. dont know if they can keep the underdog/underappreciated motivation going when they're being lauded on like every sports site.

edit: also slowly coming around. don't really care about college sports/basketball in particular, but maybe this will get the school more $ / press / funding!!

its good to be in the newspaper for something that isn't scandal related

i'm spoiled with my alma mater being a perennial powerhouse, except this year, but i'd be all amped if my school was in position to be in the Elite 8. the way they are playing, FSU is very beatable.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
im very bitter towards our sports team. vcu has had horrendous funding shortfalls (and some ridiculous bullshit from our douchebag governor), and it pains me to see millions dumped down the black pit which are our sports teams. sure, it's nice to have a succesful team, but when you have to build $30 million dollar arenas (which you can't sell out), and $3 million dollar strength and conditioning gyms, all the while professors are being fired, tuition is being raised and benefits are being cut, it's a big issue.

edit: to expand. when i came to vcu (2 years ago), we were both the largest school in the state (especially for in-state students) and had the cheapest tuition. unfortunately this tuition price was artificially repressed through expiring TARP funding initiatives, necessitating a 20% tuition hike this past year. in response the state governor decided to withhold half of the state funding for next year, arguing that schools that raise tuition don't need state funds, apparently ignoring the fact that VCU is still the cheapest (and receives the lowest amount of funding on a % of total basis) school in the state and the tuition increase was caused by continual growth and lack of funding.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha. well in that case, i can see your point. probably a reason that the student body on average isn't getting all hyped up.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
im very bitter towards our sports team. vcu has had horrendous funding shortfalls (and some ridiculous bullshit from our douchebag governor), and it pains me to see millions dumped down the black pit which are our sports teams. sure, it's nice to have a succesful team, but when you have to build $30 million dollar arenas (which you can't sell out), and $3 million dollar strength and conditioning gyms, all the while professors are being fired, tuition is being raised and benefits are being cut, it's a big issue.

Oh shut up, dweeb.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twenty years later, Bruce Pearl finally learns that karma's a *****.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm feeling kind of validated by VCU's continued success. because they did skullfuck my alma mater in the first round
frown.gif
not feeling better about it, just somewhat validated.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
might be going to texas for vcu's game lawl. school would pay to send me.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vcu has had horrendous funding shortfalls (and some ridiculous bullshit from our douchebag governor), and it pains me to see millions dumped down the black pit which are our sports teams. sure, it's nice to have a succesful team, but when you have to build $30 million dollar arenas (which you can't sell out), and $3 million dollar strength and conditioning gyms, all the while professors are being fired, tuition is being raised and benefits are being cut, it's a big issue.

might be going to texas for vcu's game lawl. school would pay to send me.

confused.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
yes thats why i said 'lawl'. lawl indicates the irony!

i work for the school in a student programs related position, and they're sending our pep band and a bunch of students down to texas in the coming days, and they're trying to get people to go down.

probably won't though, just think it's funny the opportunity presented itself.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I thought the lawl/irony was more because of
As someone who goes to VCU I hope we don't win so we can fade back into obscurity
and
don't really care about college sports/basketball in particular
but it's pretty lulzy all around. Have fun if you do go. I haven't been to a sweet 16 game in over a decade but I always had a good time.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
unfortunately the transportation is going to be.. by bus. from richmond, va to texas. eck.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion
wow! Nice finish for Arizona after Texas come back. Great end to that game!

Originally Posted by venessian
Wow! Arizona!
boxing[1].gif

**** you guys, **** Arizona, and **** those ******* referees who ******* blew at least three calls at the end of that game!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads