• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do girls like guys wearing?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
+1.

Some guys have gals who think they know something about dressing men. If they're hooked up with guys who don't know how to dress, they'll come off as really knowledgeable and truly concerned about the appearance of their men. If they're hooked up with guys who do know how to dress, they'll come off as trying to guilt bait you into wearing something that doesn't match your coloring or personality or the style of the other clothes intended to be worn with it. Women like their men to be well dressed, but with something noticeably wrong (as if they were dressed by women), so that other women know that they're taken. This always backfires. Women are naturally jealous and competitive. If a woman thinks that another woman can manipulate you, she knows in her heart that she can ***** whip you much better. But then, the point of dressing, for women, is to one-up other women. Your woman will try to dress you so as to rub it in the face of her gfs that she owns you.

Edit: BTW, the point of dressing down (for both women and men) is to try to punk everyone else into dressing even sloppier. Then the alpha pulls out his or her electronic gadget or wristblingwatch or what-have-you, and the followers all look like idiots.

First thought upon reading this: "What the fvck is he talking about?"
Second though immediately following: "I wonder if he's just drunk?"

To OP, there isn't a prescription. I can tell you that the surest way to fvck up your sense of style is by trying to be something you're not. Try different stuff and see what feels right and then adjust as necessary/desired.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, that was the exact person/picture I had pictured in my head as I clicked into this thread.

Originally Posted by willpower
Sure, they might say they don't

400_jgosselin_090621_tommeinelt-jasonwinslow_spl108264_001.0.0.0x0.400x400.jpg

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylebeast
What kind of clothes/styles do girls like guys dressing in? Do girls even like guys into fashion? I know some said it is a turn off when guys care too much about those things
if you were a real man you'd tell her what she liked

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The majority of women will all appreciate a man that looks good in slacks, a properly fitting dress shirt, or a suit/tie. Women have different tastes, but this is the safest bet if you're going to generalize.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sake of conversation (0), lane, what would the pants in your last fit tell a girl?

slacks could also be an indicator of a job or something like that too i suppose.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that I just dont give a ****/am a weirdo/liketehfashunz, which includes her liking me

honestly, im only kidding though...

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meh. most girls dont really give a **** about clothing in my opinion. whether they care to admit it, or not. they care about looks. just like guys do. just as superficial. We'd date a hot girl who dresses bad, within reason. They'd date a good looking guy that dresses bad too. Clothes are nothing and expressing to a girl your unrivaled interest in mens fashion can sometimes be a tricky thing to position as well. They certainly don't want a man that dresses better than they do

in order of importance from my perspective

1) physical appearance
2) confidence
3) funny
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) dress

most women will be satisifed and have come to expect a somewhat status quo modern era caveman in boot cut jeans, NON-baller sneakers, and a frayed brim baseball cap. big, dumb, and fulla ***. if you choose to digress from that path (which most here on SF, have) you better have some attitude and personality. And if you can pull this off, as many can, +1. Because from my observation and experience, no girls wants a shy little wall-flower - whether they're in thousand dollar bewts and leathers or not.

greenleaflettuce

Reaction score
I think most females do not really care about men's clothes specifically. They care more about what clothes say about what type of guy the man is. For example, my sister likes to date hipster dudes. They tend to wear basically the same thing. I dated several enegineers in college and they all had a certain universal...aesthetic. Clothes can help you identify a member of a group you're interested in. So if a girl says she likes a guy that wears such and such a thing, she's saying that because she feels that paritcular look or whatever is generally worn by a type of guy she's interested in.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
meh. most girls dont really give a **** about clothing in my opinion. whether they care to admit it, or not. they care about looks. just like guys do. just as superficial. We'd date a hot girl who dresses bad, within reason. They'd date a good looking guy that dresses bad too. Clothes are nothing and expressing to a girl your unrivaled interest in mens fashion can sometimes be a tricky thing to position as well. They certainly don't want a man that dresses better than they do in order of importance from my perspective 1) physical appearance 2) confidence 3) funny 4) 5) 6) 7) 8) 9) 10) dress most women will be satisifed and have come to expect a somewhat status quo modern era caveman in boot cut jeans, NON-baller sneakers, and a frayed brim baseball cap. big, dumb, and fulla ***. if you choose to digress from that path (which most here on SF, have) you better have some attitude and personality. And if you can pull this off, as many can, +1. Because from my observation and experience, no girls wants a shy little wall-flower - whether they're in thousand dollar bewts and leathers or not.
Amen, good post as a wallflower I concur, funny word

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
This just got me thinking, what would be the female equivalent of styleforum?

I don't know whether such a thing exists. If it does, I'd be interested to know as well. I think there's some Times article about a women's site that's kind of a cross between "should I or shouldn't I buy" and WAYWT where they post outfits for nearly instant feedback when getting ready to leave the house or buying a new article of clothing. Not sure of anything broader like this, though.

Originally Posted by suited
The majority of women will all appreciate a man that looks good in slacks, a properly fitting dress shirt, or a suit/tie. Women have different tastes, but this is the safest bet if you're going to generalize.

My MC-er sense is tingling. Women may appreciate these things, but I'd say most women I date are only going to see me wearing the items you listed on an occasional-to-rare basis. It's not that I don't know how to dress myself this way, but I don't have to, and I'd usually rather not. I'd also rather not date someone who prefers that I MC it up or who's really into things that call for more MC-ish attire.

Originally Posted by greenleaflettuce
I think most females do not really care about men's clothes specifically. They care more about what clothes say about what type of guy the man is. For example, my sister likes to date hipster dudes. They tend to wear basically the same thing. I dated several enegineers in college and they all had a certain universal...aesthetic. Clothes can help you identify a member of a group you're interested in. So if a girl says she likes a guy that wears such and such a thing, she's saying that because she feels that paritcular look or whatever is generally worn by a type of guy she's interested in.

This, much more so than what suited said.

sofaking9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
You guys are ******* sexist idiots.

OP, the real answer to this question is that there is no answer. There are girls into buff dudes, indie kids, glam androgynes, average dudes, big dudes with beards ... there is little point in trying to tailor yourself to the tastes of women because those tastes are incredibly diverse. As much as I'm made fun of on this board for looking like a girl, I've never had any issue finding girls who find me attractive. Just dress the way you want to dress and you'll eventually find someone who likes it.

I think it also depends on what kind of dress YOU like ON GIRLS.
If you want a certain type, you have to appeal to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads