• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
For the Trubalance last (Indys, 405s, 403s): Is a size 11EE a longer shoe (as well as a wider shoe) than 11E, than 11D? Or are the lengths of all 3 the same? Only difference in width? Please let me know if you have had experience iwth Trubalance sizes and know the answer.
The length will be constant and will not change. The width is the only thing that changes and word to the wise that the TruBalance is the widest last that Alden produces. Size down a 1/2 size and think twice about going to an E or wider for they are plenty wide in a D width compared to other Alden lasts. Just my own personal experience.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
brush vigorously for five minutes and you will be very pleased

Yes, that's what I did, and it worked great. It's hard to tell because I photoshopped them together but that is the same shoe, before and after. It's amazing. Cordovan is like this magical material.
worship.gif

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
What's t he 379X last? Anyone know how it compares fit-wise to the Barrie?

There is not a lot of information regarding the 379X floating around. As you probably know, some Japanese only models use this last. Subsequently, some factory seconds stayed ashore and are available from at least one US Alden retailer. The Japanese distributor describe this as the "military" last used for US military officer's dress uniform shoes, i.e. a particularly comfortable last for the military personnel. I am not sure how much of this is marketing hype vs. truth. In any case, IMO, I will describe 379X to be similar to the Modified, but overall smaller. The 379X has high arch support, but less so than the Modified. Volume around the toe box is smaller. For the same number size, I found the 379X to be quite a bit tighter than the Modified and Barrie.

Hope that helps.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
There is not a lot of information regarding the 379X floating around. As you probably know, some Japanese only models use this last. Subsequently, some factory seconds stayed ashore and are available from at least one US Alden retailer. The Japanese distributor describe this as the "military" last used for US military officer's dress uniform shoes, i.e. a particularly comfortable last for the military personnel. I am not sure how much of this is marketing hype vs. truth. In any case, IMO, I will describe 379X to be similar to the Modified, but overall smaller. The 379X has high arch support, but less so than the Modified. Volume around the toe box is smaller. For the same number size, I found the 379X to be quite a bit tighter than the Modified and Barrie. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
outstanding collection!

Thanks Uncle!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ahab
Very nice and I am thinking of picking a pair up but I have to say I do not like the lack of versatility and room for taste in growth. Now money may not be a factor but you are missing out on some great patina if you got something like a PTB. Still, a lot of nice shoes.

Oh, money is DEFINITELY a factor! Four out of those six pairs were brand-new when I got them... but only two were purchased directly from a retailer... and neither at full price. Being patient for a bargain on the entire lineup has been a challenge.

I will say I agree on the lack of versatility - that's why I have other shoes too! Pictured are *just* my LHS - in fact, I have another pair of BB #8 LHS that weren't in the picture that are in theory reserved for sock-only wear. I'll be posting a shot of the entire collection (hint: it's 70% Alden) on March 31 since that's a year since I first posted all my shoes and asked for advice on AAAC.

I do like the PTB's, though - I have Alden cigar/whiskey and BB #8.
fistbump.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Great pic, WGP. I look forward to the complete collection.

I've been planning an Alden collection shot, but I have a pair on order that I'd like to include.

glimmertwins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Crepe - Extremely comfortable. They look very casual, and the edges of the crepe that are visible tend to look "frayed" - also, if you tend to pronate, they do not offer good support.

I'm curious why the crepe sole doesn't offer good support to pronators. Do they provide better support to supinators? I don't get why the crepe matters - sorry if I'm being dense.

ATHollywood

Reaction score
Hello, Alden noob here (currently rocking some Penguins and Van's Authentics). Been looking for a high quality shoe made in the good ole USA and it seems like I have endless options, all which are out of the price range for a high school student making minimum at the Gap. However, this Alden pair I found on ebay seems to be in my price range. I don't terribly mind the fact that they are used, as they seem to be in terrific shape. I have a few questions that though that I figured ya'll Alden lovers might could answer?
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-ALDEN-Pebble-Brown-Cordovan-OXFORD-SHOES-10-5-/300536856333?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item45f9647f0d

Are these the real deal?
Is this pair a good deal?
Would it be a good deal for $100?
Is there anything that I should know that might change my mind?

I'm not sure if my question should be directed here, so please inform me if I need to take this down and put it somewhere else.
Thanks in advance for any help you give me as I start my journey into quality American goods!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Aldens in high school? I was wearing Nike's and Jordan's back then, haha.

You should probably ask the seller what last it is on since lasts fit differently.

As far as the 'real deal'...I doubt they have fake Aldens.

I've never been a fan of thrifting so yeah.

ATHollywood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
^Aldens in high school? I was wearing Nike's and Jordan's back then, haha. You should probably ask the seller what last it is on since lasts fit differently. As far as the 'real deal'...I doubt they have fake Aldens. I've never been a fan of thrifting so yeah.
Ha, yes high school. And I am not that big of a fan of thrifting either, but with a slim wallet it is just inevitable sometimes. Thanks for the input and i'll get back to you when the seller responds to my question about the last.

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATHollywood
Hello, Alden noob here (currently rocking some Penguins and Van's Authentics). Been looking for a high quality shoe made in the good ole USA and it seems like I have endless options, all which are out of the price range for a high school student making minimum at the Gap. However, this Alden pair I found on ebay seems to be in my price range. I don't terribly mind the fact that they are used, as they seem to be in terrific shape. I have a few questions that though that I figured ya'll Alden lovers might could answer?
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-ALDEN-Pebble-Brown-Cordovan-OXFORD-SHOES-10-5-/300536856333?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item45f9647f0d

Are these the real deal?

I'm not sure if my question should be directed here, so please inform me if I need to take this down and put it somewhere else.
Thanks in advance for any help you give me as I start my journey into quality American goods!

The shoes in question is NOT Cordovan as advertised. Model 946 is in Alpine gain Calf skin, currently available new at around US$440.

mtc2000

Reaction score

Are these the real deal?

BTW, model 946 is in Barrie last.

ATHollywood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
The shoes in question is NOT Cordovan as advertised. Model 946 is in Alpine gain Calf skin, currently available new at around US$440.
So you're saying that this is sketchy and I should avoid it?

mtc2000

Reaction score
So you're saying that this is sketchy and I should avoid it?

Not necessarily. The seller probably doesn't know and assumes the shoes are in Cordovan. You may want to google "Alden Welterweight". You will see the 946.
Ultimately the judgment is yours.

ATHollywood

Reaction score
Well, it really doesn't bug me that it's not cordovan. I am a complete noob at this so I am relying on the judgement of others as well as my own here, and if yall say there legit then I will probably pull the trigger on 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics