1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

Alden Monk Strap in Burnished Dark Tan Calfskin on the Plaza Last
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior Member

Thanks Uncle! [​IMG]

Oh, money is DEFINITELY a factor! Four out of those six pairs were brand-new when I got them... but only two were purchased directly from a retailer... and neither at full price. Being patient for a bargain on the entire lineup has been a challenge.

I will say I agree on the lack of versatility - that's why I have other shoes too! Pictured are *just* my LHS - in fact, I have another pair of BB #8 LHS that weren't in the picture that are in theory reserved for sock-only wear. I'll be posting a shot of the entire collection (hint: it's 70% Alden) on March 31 since that's a year since I first posted all my shoes and asked for advice on AAAC.

I do like the PTB's, though - I have Alden cigar/whiskey and BB #8. [​IMG]

Please DO NOT post a pic of you rocking the "sock only" look. Thank you.

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior Member

I'm curious why the crepe sole doesn't offer good support to pronators. Do they provide better support to supinators? I don't get why the crepe matters - sorry if I'm being dense.

To clarify, they don't offer support to supinators or pronators. The material is so soft (and so comfortable) that if you are inclined to put pressure on one side of your foot, the crepe on that side will simply compress and your foot will roll even further in that direction.

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

Well, it really doesn't bug me that it's not cordovan. I am a complete noob at this so I am relying on the judgement of others as well as my own here, and if yall say there legit then I will probably pull the trigger on 'em.

what do you mean by "legit" ?

also are you a 10 C?

5. ATHollywood

ATHollywood Member

Legit meaning not fake and nothing suspicious that I should know about. And I have honestly never tried on a shoe that comes in different widths per size except for my Sperry's, in which case a medium fit me fine. I realize I'm kinda taking a gamble with these.

6. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

Legit meaning not fake and nothing suspicious that I should know about. And I have honestly never tried on a shoe that comes in different widths per size except for my Sperry's, in which case a medium fit me fine. I realize I'm kinda taking a gamble with these.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. My suggestion to you is to get measured on the Brannock device first to establish your proper size. Once that is established go to an Alden retailer and try on some different sizes and the different lasts. Great shoes & boots are jewelry for men.

7. Dewey

Dewey Distinguished Member

The point is, the shoe is supposed to be an "all-weather walker," which is just nonsense.
    It's a great sole as long as you don't wear it on wet pavement.

yes. & before they started with the crepe, the AWW had an all-rubber sole.

now it is a "get out of the rain" walker ...

8. JOA

JOA Senior Member

Just ordered, time for some suede:

Where are these from?

9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

The shoes look pretty good to me. I have a similar shoe but with a crepe sole ( http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_...n_947_228.html ).

To follow up on CTYGGG's point about getting properly measured -- that's important because, if the marked size is 10.5 & the shoe is on the Barrie last, it's likely going to fit larger than a typical 10.5 in other shoe types.

10. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior Member

I'm out of the loop in this thread, but I get the sense that Alden is still backed up with orders. I say this in light of Winn Perry's existing pre-orders from almost 5 months ago being dropped, and LS informing me that their pre-order filled back around the same time are no where near finished. How disappointing...

11. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior Member

Where are these from?

Alden of Carmel

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

Just passed by the temple of cordovan...
    [​IMG]

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior Member

I'm out of the loop in this thread, but I get the sense that Alden is still backed up with orders. I say this in light of Winn Perry's existing pre-orders from almost 5 months ago being dropped, and LS informing me that their pre-order filled back around the same time are no where near finished. How disappointing...
    Alden pre-orders usually take 9 months to fulfill -- at least that's the impression I'm under.

14. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

Just passed by the temple of cordovan...
    [​IMG]

I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

15. Beyachad

Beyachad Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.