1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

2. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

3. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Distinguished Member

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.

do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?

6. Beyachad

Beyachad Active Member

I'll try again [​IMG]

do people wear snuff suede w/ khakis? how is the durability of it?

I do - in fact I wear my snuff suede lwbs with khaki's (many different shades - especially nice with chocolate color), flannels (grey and dark brown), and jeans. My rule of thumb is just to not match the shade of the pant with the shoe, except for a tux and black shoes.

I find all of my suede shoes to be very durable. Just lightly brush the knapp once in a while, and spray them every 2 years with some suede / nubuck waterproofer.
    [​IMG]

7. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

IMO I absolutely do not like Alden plantation crepe soles. They are heavy, feel almost too cushy when walking, are rather ugly looking from the side of the shoe because of the imperfections, and are certainly not for any weather except dry. I sold mine after walking (make that sliding) from the train to work on a rainy day.

Flex welt soles, on the other hand, IMO are fantastic.

I agree. I hate my crepe soled Aldens. The leather tip is horrible. It wears down in the rain and isn't set level with the rest of the sole. You get a rocking action when you walk, which contributes to the excessive toe wear.

A seriously shitty product in my opinion.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?

But was it imported from France [​IMG]

10. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0

11. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the
    odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice.

Kenal0

12. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice. Kenal0
    I heard Horween pumps out citrus air scent out of their building so as not to upset the neighbors too much with chemical and animal hide odors.

13. banis

banis Senior Member

[​IMG]
    cigar LWB, ravello chukka, whiskey LHS

14. Jorge

Jorge Senior Member

Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0

In that case, I'll not be taking you on a tour of my stables [​IMG]

15. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.?.
    In 1950 the average Cost of new house in the US was $8,450.00.

The average cost of a gallon of Gas was 18 cents.

All you have to do is invent a time machine and you will save yourself hundreds of dollars!
    They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.
    This is not Horween's fault. Perhaps you could try to get the US laws changed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.