• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local NM last call only carries Hickey Freeman suits. How can I tell if they are mainline or not?

deejonaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
I don't ever think overcoats look like dresses, as long as they open in the front, and don't trail on the floor...?

Originally Posted by mic
Any overcoat you buy will likely have too much material, making it baggy. Bring it to a tailor and tell them you want it to be more fitted. If you don't have a tailor, the salesperson should be able to recommend one. Ought to cost under $50.

it's mainly when i try it on and button it up it looks TOO fitted? i don't know..something about it makes it look "feminine." maybe i need to look for a thicker/different material that goes with my body type. thanks for the replies!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deejonaze
it's mainly when i try it on and button it up it looks TOO fitted? i don't know..something about it makes it look "feminine." maybe i need to look for a thicker/different material that goes with my body type. thanks for the replies!

Wait you want it baggier? Are you buying the right size?

If you're skinny there aren't too many brands you shouldn't be finding baggy.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
When is an OCBD not an OCBD? Or is any shirt with button-down collars an OCBD, in common parlance, even if it's a lighter, thinner cloth than a true oxford cloth?

deejonaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Wait you want it baggier? Are you buying the right size?

If you're skinny there aren't too many brands you shouldn't be finding baggy.

Maybe the fit does look right and I do the non-SF thing to do and bring the girlfriend when I shop because she's the one who said it looks like a dress. She usually has good taste in general though. Yes I'm making excuses
smile.gif

ToledoStyle

Reaction score
Hi there guys.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this briefcase bag.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...0353/30353.jsp

Its not big enough for my laptop but I have a chance to get it for 50$.. would like to hear your guys' opinions on it. I'm not a male-bag wearer kind of guy but would make an exception for trips on the plane etc for a carry on and if its needed. Should I purchase this anyways?

Thank you.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToledoStyle
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this briefcase bag.

Its not big enough for my laptop but I have a chance to get it for 50$.. would like to hear your guys' opinions on it. I'm not a male-bag wearer kind of guy but would make an exception for trips on the plane etc for a carry on and if its needed. Should I purchase this anyways?

If what you really need is a laptop bag, then don't buy that one at any price. If you need a small carry-on bag in addition to a laptop bag, that'll do nicely.

jc4jax

Reaction score
I am a college kid and I am going to a high school friend's wedding in San Francisco. Its going to a semi casual attire affair. I recently purchased a single button jacket (link below) as I only have one suit in my wardrobe currently and was wanting to expand.
My question is what is your preference of trouser color to match with a charcoal heather jacket like this? Should the jacket be lighter than the trouser? vice versa?

http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-S...206259&sr=8-12

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc4jax
I am a college kid and I am going to a high school friend's wedding in San Francisco. Its going to a semi casual attire affair. I recently purchased a single button jacket (link below) as I only have one suit in my wardrobe currently and was wanting to expand. My question is what is your preference of trouser color to match with a charcoal heather jacket like this? Should the jacket be lighter than the trouser? vice versa?
Solid gray really isn't a good choice for an odd jacket. If I were you, I would get matching trousers and make a suit of it. If you choose not to, you really need trousers in a contrasting color. That rules out gray, which is probably the single best trouser color, and leaves you with navy, black, and possibly brown of which the former two are questionable choices.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc4jax
I am a college kid and I am going to a high school friend's wedding in San Francisco. Its going to a semi casual attire affair. I recently purchased a single button jacket (link below) as I only have one suit in my wardrobe currently and was wanting to expand. My question is what is your preference of trouser color to match with a charcoal heather jacket like this? Should the jacket be lighter than the trouser? vice versa?
That's an orphaned suit jacket, and it's never going to be anything else. Not that 99.9% of San Francisco would care. Lighter pants only. Not gray, in any shade.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It should be fine. There are many lurkers, and they registered only when they need to buy. The majority of my items are sold to these members. - Use normal paypal payment (NOT personal payment) - Ship with tracking, preferably by printing out from PayPal. - If for any reasons you don't feel comfortable selling (unconfirmed foreign address, etc.,), politely decline.
This is true. I lurked until I wanted to buy. Then I posted twice to start the process. Now I occasionally post if I think I have something useful for others to read. Other than that I don't post much and have purchased from more than one seller. I might suggest communicating with the buyer to get a "feel" for them but I think most buyers here are okay. If one wants to create havoc it is highly unlikely it will be through purchasing an item on B & S.

Darshan0096

Reaction score
br812994-00vliv01.jpg

I'm having trouble pairing this Banana Republic dress shirt (white with somewhat-subtle light olive green pinstripes) with a tie. I have a green/gray plaid tie but seems like too much "green." Any suggestions?

Thanks fellas.

bigstar[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darshan0096
http://www3.assets-gap.com/Asset_Archive/BRWeb/Assets/Product/812/812994/big/br812994-00vliv01.jpg[/IMG
I'm having trouble pairing this Banana Republic dress shirt (white with somewhat-subtle light olive green pinstripes) with a tie. I have a green/gray plaid tie but seems like too much "green." Any suggestions?

Thanks fellas.

[IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/bigstar[1].gif

Burgundy, navy, black, purple... anything but something with a similar stripe. That's a very neutral shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads