1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mercedezzz

mercedezzz Active Member

I'm really not feeling the first tie. Second look is okay, but I'm thinking a solid tie might work best since you've got a patterned shirt & patterned slacks.

2. netovargas90

netovargas90 Member

I want to switch the buttons on my (very traditional) navy blazer for something a little more contemporary. I was thinking brown horn buttons? Something like this: [​IMG] What is generally the norm of blazer buttons (or if anyone has any good ideas outside the norm)? Does anyone have any links to good sources for buttons?

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

i like the second combination better, but both ties look slightly too wide. you should try a 3" tie.

Yes, definitely too wide.

4. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

What color sport coat other than navy do you think would look best with mid brown ('coffee colored') wool trousers and light blue OCBD on someone with lighter skin? Thanks.
    Mottled black-and-white/gray herringbone, tan, lighter-than-navy blue, cream, lovat, dark brown.

5. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Hi - I was wondering if anyone knew if Paul Stuart Stuart's Choice shoes come with lasted shoe trees. I just ordered some and was wondering if they already came with trees or if I should also order the $60 trees as well. Are they lasted?

I'm not sure if they come with them, but virtually no one offers lasted trees anymore. Even Edward Green stopped.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I'm really not feeling the first tie. Second look is okay, but I'm thinking a solid tie might work best since you've got a patterned shirt & patterned slacks.

+1. Also, your ties are too short.They should come to the mid-point of where a belt would be worn. Might want to try a smaller knot as well.

7. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

This might be a bit vague as I don't know what I'm looking for, but what's an acceptable automatic movement watch in the $500 range? I don't want a dressy one; just one for everyday wear

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

9. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

great! very helpful, thanks

10. E TF

E TF Senior member

Yes, definitely too wide.

I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width? They do look a little bit wide on their own, but with a jacket on it might it not be another matter?

11. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

a little paypal help needed:

I purchased pants from a seller who stated the waist was 15.5'' across but is actually bigger. I asked for a partial refund to have the pants taken in, which was refused. I filed a claim and escalated. any ideas on if this will come out in my favor?

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

^The experience of most on here is that Paypal sides with the buyer even if the buyer is wrong.

13. Sanguis Mortuum

I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width?

A narrow lapel demands a narrower tie, but there's still an upper limit to how wide a tie should be for a particular person; wide ties on slim people just don't look good.

14. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

15. acadiaspring

acadiaspring Member

The ill-fitting, short sleeve, cheap looking shirt, baggy pleated pants, and novelty tie is a pretty much the staple of the teachers’ wardrobe where I teach. This past school year (my first year), I tried to set the bar a little higher and invested in the best fitting suits I can find that are still within my limited budget (fake it till I make it?). I only have a few. So, I spent a good portion of my days in a shirt/tie with no jacket. I don’t like this look. Without a jacket to toss on, I would at least like to wear a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie.

Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

16. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

17. Sanguis Mortuum

Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

Uniqlo are good for cheap sweaters, get a few in various colours, maybe some cashmere for the winter and some thinner cotton ones for the hotter days.

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

Burgundy (very versatile) or chili.

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe. And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe. What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.
    Dark brown punch cap, a la the 5th avenue, would be my inclination.

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member