• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chicago Blues Bars Thread

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in outside Chicago for a long time and never explored the blues bars of Chicago. This must change. Due diligence, web research... out of many four are candidates for a start for the slumming it that is blues bar-going:
  1. (chicagostudioclub) Harlem Avenue Lounge: Everyone seems to like this place, though I have to laugh about the directions "next to the White Castle". It has its devoted fans. And it really does seem to be a dive, which actually goes well with its location near the head of Route 66.
  2. (chibarproject) Kingston Mines. Sounds fun: "rough around the edges", 2 stages, crowded main crowded room, a smaller room with screen of the big stage act(!). Open to 4am.
  3. (centerstagechicago) Buddy Guy's Legends: "The crowd consists mainly of tourists, suburbanites and blues aficionados." two of which aren't ringing endorsement, though we'd be part of the suburbanite class. Whatever it takes to keep alive. Still, two locals have pointed out its absence in the original list, and it is Buddy Guy, so in it goes. The inside looks the least divey of all of these bars, actually.
  4. (wineandleisure) B.l.u.e.s. (on Halsted), seems to feature local bands, and I always love places with big long bars (the Comstock in SF, the J&M cafe/dive in Seattle). Intimate seems to be the catchphrase, probably because Kingston Mines is bigger and is across the street.
  5. blcgo536.JPG
    Blue Chicago on Clark: this one attracts me because I love female singers and this bar prides itself in booking female blues singers. Vintage, intimate, the inside seems set up in a funky way, narrow with tables along both sides. And Blues Chicago has a good blues station streaming.
That is in increasing order- I think we'll either go to B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted or Blues Chicago on Clark first. Cognoscenti will notice that there are no South Side bars in my list (does Buddy Guy's Legends really count?); mostly this is access from the far west suburbs; our lives don't include walking down the street to these bars on a whim, alas. But a man must do what a man must do, and this includes
chicago-blues.jpg

billsayers

Reaction score
I been to Kingston Mines a couple of times and had fun on both occasions.

Pretty divey with $10 entrance but the place has good acoustics and real blues musicians...the kind where heavy set guys rests their guitar on their stomach.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While not a bar, be sure to take a tour of the old Chess records offices.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billsayers
I been to Kingston Mines a couple of times and had fun on both occasions. Pretty divey....

Looking over the inside shots, I just think divey goes with the territory. So, hey- great; I like dives.

Originally Posted by countdemoney
While not a bar, be sure to take a tour of the old Chess records offices.

smile.gif
Keith Richards calling it Mecca. I think I'll wait for summer for that pilgrimage.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot Buddy Guy's Legends, which features Buddy himself two times a year and some other pretty good acts. Also it's in the loop, which is more convenient for visitors.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and Kwilk both pointed this out; I think my Seattle bred distaste for anything successful kept it off the list. I added it, it is a good idea. It is actually the easiest to get to using Metra for us.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
When I was a tourist in Chi-town, my buddies and I went out to Buddy Guy's Legends. Two bands were playing that night and both put on ready good sets. On a future trip, I'd try one of the slightly more obscure venues though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads