• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Nah, if a seller mispells the brand name or the type of shoe, etc., fewer people will find it, let alone bid on it. Here, the brand name was mispelled, the shoes were listed under 'shoe accessories', not 'shoes', there was no reserve, and the auction ended on a Saturday night -- kind of the perfect storm of good luck.
wink.gif

It always pays to check. (Ex: Canallee soot...
laugh.gif
)

wait for the surprise on your face when they are actually Florshein's

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today:
Two Kuhlman shirts, 42
Two Canali shirts, both 42
Zegna cotton/wool pants for a trade buddy - nice and soft brown twill, not cords - find me some of these!
Zegna olive wool pants for a trade buddy
Vineyard Vines NWT cords 34, unhemmed - not sure what to do with these yet
Charles Tyrwhitt repp tie for me
Zegna tie, older, but a nice design and only 3.5 wide - for me

Nataku, your "pickings are slim when I'm excited over Canali" is my everyday reality, just to let you know!
wink.gif

Blues: finding a jacket with a "Made in Italy" necktag followed by a Wilkes Bashford inside tag... and then the left-side tag is "Vero Tallia" or some crap like that. I let out an audible grr at that one.
Also - a Stephens Brothers shirt with two royal warrants (not that they matter, but it was a sign) that I left yesterday was gone today when I went to get it. Had never seen the brand before and phone googling was inconclusive... I should listen to my own advice and trust my gut!

Oh, and I forgot my most awesome find:
mouse-trap-300x300.jpg

I'm sure I looked like a dang fool on the floor in the store setting it all up to make sure it was all there... but I've been looking for this thing for awhile since my wife said she'd never seen one. The kids are going to LOVE it.
laugh.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ That Wilkes Bashford jacket has me curious. A place like WB doesn't sell junk, so it may have been something pretty nice? Maybe something under their private label?

That Mouse Trap game sure looks fun!

I thought the same exact thing. Had the jacket been in better shape, I might have picked it up - but the inside lining was pretty shot. Both pockets had extensive wear, lining torn under both arms... yeah. Not sure if it was a suit jacket orphaned or not. It's bugging me I can't even remember the name now, but if it's still there next time I'm by I'll post a photo just out of curiosity. It's nothing that's on their current website list, of course.

I look forward to playing Mouse Trap sometime soon.
devil.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left a tan/brown puppytooth Samuelsohn suit. 46R. I believe a 2 button w/double pleats.

There is a stain on the right cuff but if dry cleaned, could be taken out.

Let me know if anyone is interested and Ill get it for you.

Btw, it says made in canada. I didnt know they were made in canada so I found that odd.

951socal

Reaction score
You guys don't get excited over canali?

What, i found a stained and moth bitten canali shirt that was $14.99 and i was considering it!
and was really exicted to see an older zegna tie marked at $7.99!!

haha i envy the guy who found that RAF by raf simons sweater though.

Yeah i usually just pick up land's end OCBD's (Get them for $7 its cheaper than getting it at sears for $20ish on sale)

and just brands guys my age wear, abercrombie andfitch or whatever they sell at the mall i can get my hands on ( i skip express though).

take the money i saved and go spend it at the tailor who has started giving me a student discount

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Left a tan/brown puppytooth Samuelsohn suit. 46R. I believe a 2 button w/double pleats.

There is a stain on the right cuff but if dry cleaned, could be taken out.

Let me know if anyone is interested and Ill get it for you.

Btw, it says made in canada. I didnt know they were made in canada so I found that odd.

Samuelsohn himself moved to Canada in 1912,the company has always been there.

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
"Baumwolle" means cotton in German.

Ah ok, I looked it up after I grabbed it and found that, but also read some conflicting things that it was actually spun in a slightly different manner from regular cotton. The jacket is extremely light, almost translucent in the sense that you can kind of see through it, definitely more of a summer jacket, and doesnt feel like normal cotton. I'll post pics later (i took it straight to my tailor after) to see if you all can tell me a little more about it.

and 951socal, if you're in socal there are a ton of places out there, right now I've only been frequenting a few GWs lately and have come up with so much stuff, I haven't even been going to spots like Jet rag and whatnot recently, and when I went there last I didn't have near the ability to filter out things like I do now. I bet there's a ton of goods there no ones scooped. For instance, I just left three borelli shirts, looked like they were brand new condition in one store because I wasn't sure if anyone wanted them. I can go back and grab them if anyone wnats, I forgot the measurements but they had to be at least around a 16 or 16 1/2 as I couldn't fit them.

Also yesterday grabbed:

- Eton Shirt
- London Fog, made in Egypt jacket, can't tell what type of cotton the shell is, but its real soft, almost like microsuede. I doubt its egyptian cotton but it was really nice and fit perfect so I figured why not.
- One Benetton? Shirt. I guess that's the name of the company, was a really nice light blue shirt, fabric felt great, just said Made in Romania of Benneton. I saw another shirt like that the other day I passed up.
- A few more PRL things (I've literally begun trying to collect as many older Polos and shirts that I can that fit me, don't know why but RL's custom fit and regular stuff fits me pretty damn well, I've already gotten nearly 30 of his shirts lol)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMayle
nice score on the full Mouse Trap, I loved that game as a kid.

I feel like there is always a mouse trap or two at one of the stores in my area...The only problem is that they tape all of the games shut (which is probably for the best since things will otherwise get lost) and I have to imagine that the reason the game ends up in the thrift might be due to a broken or missing part.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hyaaku = trying to be the next RL model lol

PM about borrelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads