• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
... Also yesterday grabbed: .. - One Benetton? Shirt. I guess that's the name of the company, was a really nice light blue shirt, fabric felt great, just said Made in Romania of Benneton. I saw another shirt like that the other day I passed up. ..
Benetton is a hip Italian brand, think Banana Republic in Italian. It is OK but nothing much.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Not too much today:

- NWOT Columbia fleece (I needed a cheap fleece to work around the house in)
- Zegna tie (nice red and blue pattern with no signs of wear, stains, etc).

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Nothing truly amazing lately, but I did find a really pair of vintage Ray Ban women's sunglasses (Sidestreet model) in perfect condition, with their original case and cleaning cloth. They went to my wife, who was incredibly excited by them.

She puts up with my thrift habits, it's the least I could do.

hyakku

Reaction score
Personal favorite day of mine, probably my second favorite despite not getting a ton of crazy designer labels most people up here would love. I grabbed:

- A PRL Turtleneck (needed at least one for the collection)

- A PRL half zip sweater in NWOT condition (literally still had the zipper protection thing from when it was shipped), powder blue with really really subtle yellow hints, i'll post pictures later, similar to someones recent post.

- Ralph Lauren Glasses in NWOT condition with the case and all (it's like the sartorial gods are firmly committed to helping me reach my goal)

- Another powder blue sweater, this one is a turtle neck made of Cashmere, Silk, Angora, Polyamide, Wool and Viscose. Was made in italy, dunno who makes it, tg just says luxurious blind including Cashmere et Soie, I'll post a pic later. For some reason I feel like this is one of the better finds I've ever had though by feeling this, it just feels so incredibly well crafted.

- Some Shirt / Hoodie combo I really like (remember I'm still in college lol) from some company called BDG. Didn't seem like anything too crazy but liked the pattern and I'm liking the recent shirt / hoodie combo look when I'm going casual.

- Finally, a pair of Allen Edmon tribeca's 10D in pretty mint condition, no work needed besides a quick shine. Wondering if I'm going to keep them as my casual shoe to go along with the Ferragamo's or post them in B&S in a few days if I can, will post pics later in either case.

Edit: Thanks catside, I was wondering about that. I don't really mind, i didn't have to pay too much and I like the shirt's quality. Plus, BR is definitely my preferred department store brand here in the US (besides Barney's) for my personal style, so it would make sense that I have an inclination for them based on what you said. Good looking out on the info.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal favorite day of mine, probably my second favorite despite not getting a ton of crazy designer labels most people up here would love. I grabbed:

- A PRL Turtleneck (needed at least one for the collection)

- A PRL half zip sweater in NWOT condition (literally still had the zipper protection thing from when it was shipped), powder blue with really really subtle yellow hints, i'll post pictures later, similar to someones recent post.

- Ralph Lauren Glasses in NWOT condition with the case and all (it's like the sartorial gods are firmly committed to helping me reach my goal)

- Another powder blue sweater, this one is a turtle neck made of Cashmere, Silk, Angora, Polyamide, Wool and Viscose. Was made in italy, dunno who makes it, tg just says luxurious blind including Cashmere et Soie, I'll post a pic later. For some reason I feel like this is one of the better finds I've ever had though by feeling this, it just feels so incredibly well crafted.

- Some Shirt / Hoodie combo I really like (remember I'm still in college lol) from some company called BDG. Didn't seem like anything too crazy but liked the pattern and I'm liking the recent shirt / hoodie combo look when I'm going casual.

- Finally, a pair of Allen Edmon tribeca's 10D in pretty mint condition, no work needed besides a quick shine. Wondering if I'm going to keep them as my casual shoe to go along with the Ferragamo's or post them in B&S in a few days if I can, will post pics later in either case.

Edit: Thanks catside, I was wondering about that. I don't really mind, i didn't have to pay too much and I like the shirt's quality. Plus, BR is definitely my preferred department store brand here in the US (besides Barney's) for my personal style, so it would make sense that I have an inclination for them based on what you said. Good looking out on the info.

BDG is sold at Urban Outfitters if my memory serves me correct. Quality? I dont know. Price point? $50-150 depending on the item. So it should be alright. You'll see a lot of BDG's on SW&D.

Cheers

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For instance, I just left three borelli shirts, looked like they were brand new condition in one store because I wasn't sure if anyone wanted them. I can go back and grab them if anyone wnats, I forgot the measurements but they had to be at least around a 16 or 16 1/2 as I couldn't fit them.
With names like Kiton, Borrelli, Attolini, Brioni, Zegna (Couture and recent mainline), etc, you'll always have buyers here no matter what. These labels are worshiped here and there will be at least a handful of people who'll want to buy them and still make it worth your while on your end. I always grab them because even if they don't fit me, I know someone else will want them and it'll save the the trouble of going back. Also, 95% of the time, by the time you get back to grab them they're gone. Today I picked up a recent Zegna D/B navy pinstripe suit today. 6/2. Side vented. 15 Mil 15. It's on the larger side - 52 L US size. The trousers need some attention. Got it cheap, still debating on returning it. Trousers have a light sheen, and a repair to the rear pocket. Plus the size.... Hmmmm..... Also found a pair of these:
auratone_5C.jpeg

maxlamont

Reaction score
Hey guys -- New to StyleForum but I've been reading through this thread for a couple days and thought I'd join to share today's finds. I've been building a pretty large collection of ties, so that's mainly what I've been looking for lately.

Burlington Knot by J. Press necktie, wool challis - $.50

Stefano Ricci for Saks necktie - $2.00

a sort-of mod / op looking Countess Mara tie - also $.50 -- possibly 60s? not sure how to date it

and a couple Bert Pulitzer repp ties, $2 each, no big deal.

Not bad.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Nothing too amazing today:

Paul Stuart burgundy braces for $5

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes tie. Blue label (70ies?). Crumpled but should steam open. $5.
Running dry lately so maybe this is a sign.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
look for Marantz or Macintosh especially (not the Apple company,the Receiver manufacturer)

My dream is to find a Macintosh receiver. I'd settle for a late 90's Sony ES receiver more powerful than mine.

Xenos

Reaction score
Polo heavy suede coat.

Does anyone dryclean a thrifted leather or suede item before wearing? This one's not stained or smelly, just curious.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Polo heavy suede coat.

Does anyone dryclean a thrifted leather or suede item before wearing? This one's not stained or smelly, just curious.

It's very expensive.

Stylego

Reaction score
1/2 off sales today at all of the local thrifts. Sadly, not a single hit for me...

matstyleku

Reaction score
What kind of places are you guys going to where you can return stuff and what are their prices like? Everywhere I have been it's all sales final.

Originally Posted by mistermidwester
Aforementioned Ray Ban's (acquired for $4). My wife was stoked.

blog_rayban.jpg

Nice sunglasses. I am always afraid of that stuff because of the rampant fake market for those type of things.

Originally Posted by jkidd41011
My dream is to find a Macintosh receiver. I'd settle for a late 90's Sony ES receiver more powerful than mine.

What the heck is that? Maybe if you post a pic we can be on the look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads