• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Where can I find wool dress socks in dark purple?
I know you said wool, but if you go to the women's department at Target, a woman's "knee high" sock is a men's OTC dress sock. Look for color "grape", which is a very dark purple. They are about $3 a pair. Yes, I wear women's socks.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I know you said wool, but if you go to the women's department at Target, a woman's "knee high" sock is a men's OTC dress sock. Look for color "grape", which is a very dark purple. They are about $3 a pair.

Yes, I wear women's socks.

I've never seen women's socks as an option, but I guess why not. Though, like you implied, it may seems hard to find wool ones

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I've never seen women's socks as an option, but I guess why not. Though, like you implied, it may seems hard to find wool ones
Target does occasionally have wool/angora ones called "Soft Touch" or something. They are more like $6 a pair. Beats paying $25 a pair for men's OTC socks. Just avoid the bright pink argyle models.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Target does occasionally have wool/angora ones called "Soft Touch" or something. They are more like $6 a pair.

Beats paying $25 a pair for men's OTC socks. Just avoid the bright pink argyle models.

Interesting, I will look out for those.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
If the shoulder fits well, the rest can be helped with tailoring. However, A 36S seem to be a bit big for 5'6.

I cannot tell if the suit is too long from the picture.

Huh? 36S is a pretty normal size for us 5'6" folk. We're not midgets.

digilypse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Huh? 36S is a pretty normal size for us 5'6" folk. We're not midgets.

That's what I was thinking, but it just seemed really long for my body and felt like it made my legs stumpier than they already are. Maybe it had to do with the general bagginess making the "dad suit" effect seem worse than it was?

Ag229487

Reaction score
Is it possible to transform pleated or double pleated pants into flat front pants?

Have an old suit I may want to update, is it worth it?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Is it possible to transform pleated or double pleated pants into flat front pants?

Have an old suit I may want to update, is it worth it?

Yes it's possible, but only buy a skilled tailor. It's also expensive.

Question: What constitutes "longwings"?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Question: What constitutes "longwings"?
On longwings, the broguing runs all the way along the sides of the shoe to the back. Wingtips:
Skull%20wing%20tip%20shoes.jpg
Longwings:
imperial.jpg

TDP

Reaction score
No, I don't think it's worth it. Depending on the construction of the trousers, a tailor may be able to transform them from pleated to flat-front, but only at a cost of many, many man-hours. My tailor explained that “it's not worth to do it even for my own old, pleated pants”.

TDP

Reaction score
A naïf's question: I have a flannel double-breasted jacket, with two rear vents, which is too wide at the skirt. Can a tailor take it in?

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
I'm looking to pick up some sport coats and I can't find much in my size/price range. I'm skinny and wear a size 36. Other than Brooks Bros. where can I find decent SCs in the sub $500 range?

Anyone have any info on this topic?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. Is there a way to take in the sleeves of a jacket that has working cuff buttons? Or is it pretty much impossible? And by take-in, I mean make the sleeves narrower. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads