Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Good will, thrift store.

2. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

How much material would I need to have a pair of trousers made with a 39" waist, 31" inseam?

3. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

Where can I find wool dress socks in dark purple?
    Ben Silver has a purple wool otc sock, but I don't know how dark it is because it's one of the few colors not pictured:

http://www.bensilver.com/Wool-Dress-Socks,19823.html

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Ben Silver has a purple wool otc sock, but I don't know how dark it is because it's one of the few colors not pictured: http://www.bensilver.com/Wool-Dress-Socks,19823.html
    Many of the wool socks seem to match their cotton socks by color number. If there's any truth to that, seems the "purple" (color 590) would be on the lighter side.

5. onix

onix Senior member

Ben Silver has a purple wool otc sock, but I don't know how dark it is because it's one of the few colors not pictured:

http://www.bensilver.com/Wool-Dress-Socks,19823.html

Many of the wool socks seem to match their cotton socks by color number. If there's any truth to that, seems the "purple" (color 590) would be on the lighter side.

Yeah, I looked at those, but was unsure about the color, thanks anyway.

6. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Yeah, I looked at those, but was unsure about the color, thanks anyway.
    Can you provide a swatch of the kind of purple you're thinking of? (Doesn't have to be a sock picture"”any ol' swatch'll do.)

7. onix

onix Senior member

Can you provide a swatch of the kind of purple you're thinking of? (Doesn't have to be a sock picture—any ol' swatch'll do.)
    The purple of RLPL if that makes any sense. Or anything darker than this. [​IMG]

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That's what I was thinking, but it just seemed really long for my body and felt like it made my legs stumpier than they already are. Maybe it had to do with the general bagginess making the "dad suit" effect seem worse than it was?

Your particular build may require a 34 (good luck) or an Extra short (good luck again). But a slim cut would be necessary anyway- short guys like us are especially vulnerable to the kid in dad's suit effect.

The best advice is to try stuff on.

9. rtb178

rtb178 Active Member

Where would one look for good value off-the-rack summer weight pants and jackets (linen, mohair, but I guess also lightweight wools)? I'm thinking Howard Yount for pants, but I'm a 43-44L in jacket, and doubt the jackets will be big enough for me. I've read a lot about summer fabrics here, but almost all in the context of bespoke tailoring. Do things like this come up on B&S later in the year?

10. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

11. polloloco

polloloco Member

All good choices. I would pick based on outfits you wear more often. If you wear more brown-based outfits, pairing w/ brown shoes, go with a brown bag. If not go with a black. I just have this thing about matching...

12. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

what colors and patterns of shirts should i get first?

i'm trying to build a decent collection shirts while i'm still in college...i have all MTM stuff that fits well so far.

so far i have:

1 white OCBD
    2 blue OCBD, one herringbone another oxford

should i get a couple more white and blues in different collars? like get a couple straight point collars? should i stick with white and blue exclusively until i have a variety of collar/cuff combinations in those colors? if i should move on to other colors, which?

13. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

what colors and patterns of shirts should i get first?

i'm trying to build a decent collection shirts while i'm still in college...i have all MTM stuff that fits well so far.

so far i have:

1 white OCBD
    2 blue OCBD, one herringbone another oxford

should i get a couple more white and blues in different collars? like get a couple straight point collars? should i stick with white and blue exclusively until i have a variety of collar/cuff combinations in those colors? if i should move on to other colors, which?

Pencil stripes, wide stripes, pin dots, gingham etc.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Approximate vintage of a Rolex with acrylic crystal (Pre-??? year)? And how much would it cost for replacement?

15. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

My actual chest size is 34-34.5 As far as selecting sports coat I should go with a size 36 or a 34? I notice there are size 34 on some sites. Thanks.