Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gort

gort Senior member

It's not your height that matters but the length of your torso. I don't think that jacket looks overly long. Could you go shorter? Try it on and see.
    +1 The front pic is dark but it looks like the bottom of the jacket is past (or right at) your fingertips.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

My experience has been that I have been happier with the fit of jackets that I have to have my tailor take in a little than with jackets I have to have him let out. I've seen similar comments here at SF. I try to adjust my purchasing accordingly.

Here's my question, does the same hold true for trousers, is it the opposite, or does it make no difference at all?

-Mike

4. cbaker8

cbaker8 New Member

Hey I'm a relatively new member, been looking at picking up a suit on Ebay. I've seen quite a few Oscar De La Renta Suits that I quite like, however I'm wondering how they fit... I'm a 38S with a 33 - 34" waist. Also I can't seem to find any information online on how to tell if it is Authentic or not (i.e. what to look for in the tags).

Any help is much appreciated.

5. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

Should I buy this SPURR suit for $448 (retail $1300)?

[​IMG]

More pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. iamrobertjulius

iamrobertjulius Member

7. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Can you tell if these are shell cordovan? They're Church's but i have no idea...

[​IMG]

8. onix

onix Senior member

Can you tell if these are shell cordovan? They're Church's but i have no idea...

[​IMG]

Nope, that's not shell.

9. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Can someone either (a) point me to a website that goes over the ways of obtaining the measurements of a shirt (dress or casual) using a cloth measuring tape or (b) go into detail on how to go about obtaining those measurements? Anything with pictures or video as a guide would be a big plus.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm having difficulty with measurements where seam stitches are wide. In some cases, a seam stitch can be 1/4" or wider, so I don't know if I should be measuring from the outside of one seam stitch to the other, from the inside of one to the other, or from the center. I hope that made sense.

10. doublemazaa

doublemazaa Well-Known Member

Can you guys suggest some nice brow suede shoes with a rubber sole that I can wear casually with jean and a button down.

Bonus points if is or comes narrow.

Thanks.

11. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

What is a "sack suit"

12. digilypse

digilypse Member

I've never had a proper suit before and needed one for interviews, so I ordered a BB Fitzgerald which arrived today. The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders. So my question is, can this suit be saved with tailoring, or is it a lost cause like I think it is? If it's hopeless, what's my next step? I'm not keen on ordering MTM over the internet if I can avoid it, nor do I want to drop 4k on bespoke just to get an interview suit. Something around 1k would be ideal.
    [​IMG]

13. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I've never had a proper suit before and needed one for interviews, so I ordered a BB Fitzgerald which arrived today.

The problem is that I'm 5'6, skinny (35 chest) and the 36S doesn't seem to be fitting very well. The sleeves are obviously too long and fits huge around the body, but I assume that those can be helped with tailoring. The most concerning problems are the length and shoulders.

So my question is, can this suit be saved with tailoring, or is it a lost cause like I think it is? If it's hopeless, what's my next step? I'm not keen on ordering MTM over the internet if I can avoid it, nor do I want to drop 4k on bespoke just to get an interview suit. Something around 1k would be ideal.

How far away are you from a brooks brothers store?

14. digilypse

digilypse Member

How far away are you from a brooks brothers store?
    About a 3 hour drive away, which is reasonable. Much closer than most other brand stores, anyway. Why?

15. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I'd take the drive and try on a size smaller. Call ahead, of course.