• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canderson

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has advice for my situation.

First, I LOVE these boots (I have the waterproof version). I'm a perfect size 9. There is plenty of room in the toe box BUT I my two pinky toes are rubbing badly against the side of the boots, and it's getting to the point I can't wear them.

Should I order a 9.5 or get the 9EE of the non-waterproof version? I can return mine - haven't worn them around yet but after an hour my pinky toes start getting blistered because they are hitting the outsides where it begins to curve.

I've never had this problem with shoes, and again the rest of my toes can move freely around.

So, what size should I switch to, anyone know?

hardline_42

Reaction score
Originally Posted by muffintop
Unfortunately LL Bean will not have any 9.5 or 10s until April 1st. I called customer service and they said they dont have either size in any store in the US either.

Opted to go for the Chippewa's instead of waiting until April for boots I need immediately. I ordered these:
http://www.zappos.com/chippewa-6-ame...-gq-boot-brown last night through Zappos VIP and they were delivered at noon today, not too bad.

photojan27125211pm.jpg

photojan27125226pm.jpg

photojan27125244pm.jpg

The color isn't the same as the ones in the Zappos pictures, which I actually prefer since I think the color in the Zappos pictures wasn't great. Re: sizing, I usually wear a 9.5 D, occasionally a 10. I ordered the 9.5D Chippewa's and they fit perfectly with thick wool socks, a little bit of spare room with thinner athletic socks but nothing I can't live with.

Those are the same boots I got. I really hope you didn't pay $143 for them. Especially since I posted about finding them for $89 here.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Will brown shoe cream/polish help tone down the orange hue of the Katahdins? Anyone try this before? I've only been using Lexol conditioner on them so far, would like them to look similar to these pairs but right now they're way more orange:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=129
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=120

If you used Obenauf's or Snoseal that "orange" will darken. I've snosealed my pair before trotting through the Eastern storms this season and it definitely darkened as with the rest of the shoe.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darker but still orange in hue right? Or does your pair look like the two I linked?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know this thread is just about the boots, but i went and checked out their katahdin iron works stuff at a retail outlet. the quality looks amazing especially for the price, but goddamn does it look awful to me. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51980?from=SR&feat=sr i tried on this jacket in particular and while the canvas is extremely rugged and it was only 20 dollars, it was ugly as **** i would never wear it so i didn't buy it.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sno sealed my pair when I first got them and after about a month and a half of every day wear they look pretty beat up. Not sure if this is due to the sno seal or the general nature of the leather used. I just got some obenauf's LP so I'm going to see if I can use that to get them looking fresh again.
img0757q.jpg
img0758p.jpg
img0759lp.jpg
img0760u.jpg
They are super comfortable now though. very happy with the purchase.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
I sno sealed my pair when I first got them and after about a month and a half of every day wear they look pretty beat up. Not sure if this is due to the sno seal or the general nature of the leather used. I just got some obenauf's LP so I'm going to see if I can use that to get them looking fresh again.

Ah...dude...that is the general nature of you walking around in the ******* dirt! your boots are clearly just filthy (look at the edges of the soles...not even where you put sno-seal on them).

If you wipe them down with a wet towel and then buff them with a brush, they will look good and shiny as the remaining sno-seal will buff up quick.

Burra

Reaction score
I have a pair of Katahdins, and I love them, but I wish the toe wasn't so boxy. If it was a bit flatter, I think they would look a little less bulky.

I have tried squashing it a little, just by hand, and it works somewhat, but I think it is obviously their design, adn that is how they are meant to look. There is a picture floating around of an older pair with a flatter toe, and they look fantastic.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean has a 30% off today with free shipping... the discount was already posted to the Official sales thread but thought it was worth mentioning in this thread. It applies to all items including both Katahdin boots... I ordered a pair but they are not in stock till April 1st for alot of sizes.

OneLouder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
LL Bean has a 30% off today with free shipping... the discount was already posted to the Official sales thread but thought it was worth mentioning in this thread. It applies to all items including both Katahdin boots... I ordered a pair but they are not in stock till April 1st for alot of sizes.

Thanks! - just got the sale price applied to my back ordered boots!
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads