• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
This is Luca before he lost his mind. He looks damn good in that pic - that jacket is pretty much perfect.

The jacket does look great on him, but why do you say he's lost his mind now?

-LR

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't know, maybe I am the only one that feels this way, but I can't take anybody's style "seriously" when I know they work in the industry. They have too much access and time to menswear. It almost puts them in a different category all together, like seeing models in a fashion magazine. They are not real people developing their style, they are just marketing. I can't see how any of these people like Wooster, or Lino, or Cortina, or that billy goat looking guy could be serious style guru's. I look up to a lot of people in this forum much more than I would any of those guys regardless of what they were wearing, purely because they are real people developing and changing in their own way, not being outfitted for attention.

+1

I have always thought the same.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dean Keaton
+1

I have always thought the same.

As have I.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
5371780374_5003a486fd_b.jpg

Wow, just WTF.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
While we are Wooster bashing...his tat looks a little wimpy. It's probably a dolphin or flower. If you ask me the most badass-cool tat with no socks goes, hands down, to Luca. That sucka had to hurt the way it wraps along the side of his foot.

ouch, ouch, ouch , ouch , ouch.................
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Have you seen the rest of him?
http://carlapatriciaa.files.wordpres...pg?w=480&h=295

I don't know, maybe I am the only one that feels this way, but I can't take anybody's style "seriously" when I know they work in the industry. They have too much access and time to menswear. It almost puts them in a different category all together, like seeing models in a fashion magazine. They are not real people developing their style, they are just marketing. I can't see how any of these people like Wooster, or Lino, or Cortina, or that billy goat looking guy could be serious style guru's. I look up to a lot of people in this forum much more than I would any of those guys regardless of what they were wearing, purely because they are real people developing and changing in their own way, not being outfitted for attention.

I see this sentiment a lot here. You have to realize that this forum, and the people who use it (including yourself) exist and approach clothing from a very specific direction and context.

People in the fashion industry also approach clothing from a specific context. It can overlap, but not everyone has the same end in mind. I see a pretty constant barrage of criticism for anyone on the fashion side of things, but what the critics aren't taking into account is that the premise and end goal is different.

You can respect or criticize the clothing of other people all you want based on your set of criteria, but realize that those criteria are not necessarily what they are using to get dressed in the morning. Judging the success of someone's outfit is highly subjective and entirely dependent on what you consider the end goal to be.

People like Wooster get a pretty solid level of criticism here for seeking attention with their dress, being too affected. If clothing should be used as an extension of ourselves, and should be put together to project the image and purpose we have in mind, then they are just as successful as any conservative fit on the forum. Clothing should augment your purpose.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I see this sentiment a lot here. You have to realize that this forum, and the people who use it (including yourself) exist and approach clothing from a very specific direction and context.

People in the fashion industry also approach clothing from a specific context. It can overlap, but not everyone has the same end in mind. I see a pretty constant barrage of criticism for anyone on the fashion side of things, but what the critics aren't taking into account is that the premise and end goal is different.

You can respect or criticize the clothing of other people all you want based on your set of criteria, but realize that those criteria are not necessarily what they are using to get dressed in the morning. Judging the success of someone's outfit is highly subjective and entirely dependent on what you consider the end goal to be.

People like Wooster get a pretty solid level of criticism here for seeking attention with their dress, being too affected. If clothing should be used as an extension of ourselves, and should be put together to project the image and purpose we have in mind, then they are just as successful as any conservative fit on the forum. Clothing should augment your purpose.

well said. fashion is subjective. there will always be those who like something vs those who hate something. each person just has to find what works for them and apply accordingly. for example, i damn near puked when i saw his tuxedo number with hiking/rain boots (or whatever) from a few days ago ... however i find his look today very pleasing.

very subjective and that will never change.

there are however some things that just looks plain stupid to the average man, irrespective of their end goals, and i believe those things usually get railed by almost everyone in the thread and in general.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you seen the rest of him?
http://carlapatriciaa.files.wordpres...pg?w=480&h=295

I can see what you are saying. I understand it, but I am not talking only about the fashion side, which has its own spin, obviously. Even folks who I like how they look like Cravate Noir, or that guy who has the Armoury. I think they both look great all of the time, but there is a certain unrealistic, doctored method of obtaining a "look" than lets say somebody like, whany has, whose style I have always admired.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dont you think people like Wooster dress themselves? they have access to the clothes (probably costs them a lot cheaper than it costs you and I), but i think they are normal human beings who wake up and dress themselves everyday.

i doubt a lot of the men who have e-fame via mens' fashion have stylists.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree. it does sometimes seem that some folks on this forum have lost the idea that fashion can actually be fun. it's not all about looking like a master of the universe. i'd never wear that stuff, but i'm glad somebody is having a good time doing it. and since it's somebody who certainly knows more about style than I ever will, and has access to clothes I never will, i think it's kind of cool to shake things up.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
it's not all about looking like a master of the universe.
Wha...??? You're kidding, right? Well, there is that one other acceptable look, "guy who gets up in the morning and goes to a job somewhere where he gets his hands dirty, according to the art director dude."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
This is Luca before he lost his mind. He looks damn good in that pic - that jacket is pretty much perfect.

Is it a lobster on his ankle?

Hope it's a scorpion...

He used to look good before I started believing in his own sartorial grandeur.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Is it a lobster on his ankle?

Hope it's a scorpion...

He used to look good before I started believing in his own sartorial grandeur.

Studio 54

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i agree. it does sometimes seem that some folks on this forum have lost the idea that fashion can actually be fun. it's not all about looking like a master of the universe. i'd never wear that stuff, but i'm glad somebody is having a good time doing it. and since it's somebody who certainly knows more about style than I ever will, and has access to clothes I never will, i think it's kind of cool to shake things up.

I'm so tempted to agree with you, but there is a difference between dressing in a peculiar idiosyncratic way and dressing to shock others. I very much doubt he looks in the mirror after dressing and says, ah, yes, I got the symmetry and silhouette and colors looking just right! My guess is he's saying, now THIS is gonna turn heads and make them think what an interesting chap I must be!

It's a very, very fine line indeed between saying rules be damned because I like it and saying it because others will notice me. In the latter sense, the only difference between such a person and, say, a goth with a tee shirt saying "**** Jesus" is the cost of the clothing involved.

The best kind of elegance and sprezz is the kind that goes undetected except by the few who might acknowledge it with a slight smile or not at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads