• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

iDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
sixish minutes to six

standard.jpg

Looks great. Rare to see an IWC Mark XVI around these parts.

What's the consensus on the XVI versus XV? I'm considering a NWT XVI and a pre-owned XV, both on a strap.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
G10NatoRSBRYL.jpg

Will come one direct me to find some watch band of this sort? I'm not quite sure where is a good site, I've only look through Ebay.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iDoc
Looks great. Rare to see an IWC Mark XVI around these parts.

What's the consensus on the XVI versus XV? I'm considering a NWT XVI and a pre-owned XV, both on a strap.

The Mark XV is far, far, far more elegant imo (and I do think that is also the consensus).

The XV stayed true to the elegance of the classic Mark XI and XII.
The hands, the font, the dial design are all beautifully balanced and coordinated.
It has the historically correct British military designation (Mark) and therefore the correct British hands.
I think the white date dial effectively balances the missing 3. I like the serif font, a lot.

The XVI is a complete hodge-podge, even mixing the British designation with a German dial and hands.
The missing 6, 8, 12 look like gaps in teeth (just fine on Lauren Hutton but just ugly here).
The white-lettered date dial at the 3 position further unbalances the dial. The font is ugly, especially the open 4, and too large and skinny.

The only elements I prefer on the XVI are the slightly larger case and the graduated lengths between the minute, hour, and major hour (3, 6, 9) markers.

The XV is 38mm diameter; the XVI 39mm. Both models use the same movement.

The XV is a classic that will always maintain value.
The XVI will be relegated to the dustbin of bad design decisions.
I don't like the Spitfire versions, either.

iwc-mark-xv-watch-gallery.jpg
IWC-PILOTS-WATCH-MARK-XVI.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Who the **** is Gerald Genta?
confused.gif

I hope you are joking or being sarcastic. In the event that you are not, I offer the following:

Gerald Genta, the man and not the brand, designed of the following crappy watches that defined the luxury sports watch segment during the 70s:

1) Audemar Piguet Royal Oak
2) Patek Philippe Nautilus
3) Vacheron Constantin 222 aka Overseas
4) IWC Ingenieur

He started his own brand in 1969 but unfortunately, it went through ups and downs, with more downs than ups. The company is now part of the Bulgair group after various owners.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Wow, you change outfits really fast! Nice watches.
Originally Posted by sephlod
You pretty much own every watch on my wish list. The only thing that's missing is a planet ocean!
- from top to bottom:
EthanDesu
yfyf
ToiletDuck
GazMan..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I agree with most of this post.

Click to see how some Genta classics have evolved.

Gerald Genta, the brand, is a more fashion brand but I like the "success" and "gefica" watches a lot.

Can someone answer my question now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads