• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mfais

Reaction score
just asking again...

i got a shirt mtm locally and its a slim fitting shirt. the elbow area is a bit tight when i try to touch my chin, how do i resolve this? do i tell the tailor to widen the elbow or is it the back?

someyoungman

Reaction score
next pair of shoes question -
workplace is business casual (slacks + button down)
Current shoes:
black park avenues
walnut strands
that's it...
what would you get next? would prefer to keep around $300

Solo118

Reaction score
Quick ?... If I were interested in buying Asian made custom shirts for CHEAP ($20-$30 a pop) where can I look? I know the quality will not be superb, but I am getting sick of having sloppy looking shirts from my usual stores. I have only had success with shirts from h&m and sometimes Zara, but nothing else fits at my usual price point. Wish I could spend more for a proper fitting brand
frown.gif
Thanks in advance. PS What about custom cheap slacks? Slim fit of course is a must!

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Solo118
Quick ?... If I were interested in buying Asian made custom shirts for CHEAP ($20-$30 a pop) where can I look? I know the quality will not be superb, but I am getting sick of having sloppy looking shirts from my usual stores. I have only had success with shirts from h&m and sometimes Zara, but nothing else fits at my usual price point. Wish I could spend more for a proper fitting brand
frown.gif
Thanks in advance. PS What about custom cheap slacks? Slim fit of course is a must!

if you're in NY - Uniqlo. There is also a ton of slim fit stuff on ebay that are sold from Hong Kong, Korea, etc.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Does anyone have success stories about dry cleaners getting cooking oil stains out of wool pants? Or am I screwed?

if it's food oil - you can also use a little bit of dish detergent and cold water and do a spot cleaning. You can use this with most materials. If it's say a cotton shirt and the stain does not come out, do not throw it in the dryer. The dryer will permanently set the stain in.

Solo118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
if you're in NY - Uniqlo. There is also a ton of slim fit stuff on ebay that are sold from Hong Kong, Korea, etc.

Ebay... never thought of that
laugh.gif

I will check it out. As for Uniqlo, they do have some nice stuff but their store is a bit far from me so I rather order online.

A friend of mine wont reveal his source of $20 custom shirts
frown.gif
he says he just sends one shirt to copy and he can choose from 100's of patterns. I need to interrogate him!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of pairs of used Allen Edmonds from a reputable B&S seller. These are my first "nice" shoes; until now, I only wore Eccos and the like. Today, I took my pair of black Park Avenue cap toes out for their first wearing. After stepping outside, I was a bit worried. It had snowed heavily yesterday, and although most of the sidewalks were shoveled, things were still quite wet, not to mention the ever-present salt. I had planned on picking up some Tingley overshoes, but I didn't have time to get around to it this morning. Nonetheless, I decided to trudge on, and the shoes seemed to be fine throughout the day.

This evening, I went over to a friend's apartment, where I took off my shoes for a few hours. When it came time to head out, I noticed that the stitching on the cap had torn open on one side.

img0482f.jpg

A closer inspection revealed another part of the cap stitching was beginning to come apart as well.

img0483x.jpg

I hadn't noticed any problems with the stitching prior to this. Is this sort of damage easily repairable? Could it have been the result of one day's wearing, or is it an indication that the shoe was already in poor condition? Is it possible that it could have been prevented had I worn overshoes and/or put in a shoe tree for the few hours I had them off? I'd like to know if I did anything wrong so I don't make the same mistakes twice. (I will not accept "buying used shoes" or "wearing AEs" as correct answers.)

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Does an "oz" measurement reference how much a square yard of a particular fabric weighs?

I know that it is a measurement of the weight of the fabric, but what exactly is being weighed?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoManualOfStyle
I recently purchased a couple of pairs of used Allen Edmonds from a reputable B&S seller. These are my first "nice" shoes; until now, I only wore Eccos and the like. Today, I took my pair of black Park Avenue cap toes out for their first wearing. After stepping outside, I was a bit worried. It had snowed heavily yesterday, and although most of the sidewalks were shoveled, things were still quite wet, not to mention the ever-present salt. I had planned on picking up some Tingley overshoes, but I didn't have time to get around to it this morning. Nonetheless, I decided to trudge on, and the shoes seemed to be fine throughout the day.

This evening, I went over to a friend's apartment, where I took off my shoes for a few hours. When it came time to head out, I noticed that the stitching on the cap had torn open on one side.

img0482f.jpg

A closer inspection revealed another part of the cap stitching was beginning to come apart as well.

img0483x.jpg

I hadn't noticed any problems with the stitching prior to this. Is this sort of damage easily repairable? Could it have been the result of one day's wearing, or is it an indication that the shoe was already in poor condition? Is it possible that it could have been prevented had I worn overshoes and/or put in a shoe tree for the few hours I had them off? I'd like to know if I did anything wrong so I don't make the same mistakes twice. (I will not accept "buying used shoes" or "wearing AEs" as correct answers.)

That is strange, I've never had that problem with my AE shoes, so I'm not sure what would have caused it. I don't think weather could be to blame.

Were these shoes seconds? For the leather to rip from the stitching like that I would think it was a manufacturing problem, not a usage problem.

Perhaps they are too small for you or you are using a shoe tree that is too large. A shoe tree putting too much pressure on the toe box of the shoe might cause that, but honestly I have no idea.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Perhaps they are too small for you or you are using a shoe tree that is too large. A shoe tree putting too much pressure on the toe box of the shoe might cause that, but honestly I have no idea.

I hadn't even considered the fit explanation, but I think you may be exactly right. I have a rather unfortunate combination of foot features: narrow heel, wide forefoot, long arch, high instep. I put in tongue pads to help with the narrow heel and long arch, but this only exacerbates the instep problem. I was a little worried about the fit, but I figured that trying it out couldn't hurt. I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, thank you for at least assuaging my weather-related fears, and I suppose also for heightening my fit-related fears. Next time, I'll listen to my gut when it comes to sizing issues.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
if it's food oil - you can also use a little bit of dish detergent and cold water and do a spot cleaning. You can use this with most materials. If it's say a cotton shirt and the stain does not come out, do not throw it in the dryer. The dryer will permanently set the stain in.

Thanks. It's already at the dry cleaners, so maybe if it doesn't work there, I'll try this as a last resort.

kipster

Reaction score
hello ... I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm in the correct category.

I have around 7 pairs of vintage shoes and am wondering how much I should sell them for. The shoes were well kept, but I think most would have to be resoled (or re-lined) because I can feel nails in them). I don't know how expensive that is.

Also, how the heck can you tell what size they are? There's writing in the shoes, but it's a mystery to me.

It looks like I can only post 4 pictures here, so I'll have to make another thread.

The first pair are black suede (bottoms say handbenched, Alan McAfee) ... The 2nd pair are black leather in extremely great condition (polo player, London, W.I.) ... The 3rd pair are dark brown cape buck (polo player, 38 Dover St) ... 4th pair are black leather (polo player, 38 Dover St).

Thank you in advance for your help.

kipster

Reaction score
hi again ... here's part two of my question. These are the rest of the shoes I have pictures for. I actually have one more pair of McAfee black leather buckle shoes, but I don't have pictures for those.

I'm hoping someone can help me put a price on these shoes. Someone offered me $10.00 a pair, but I've seen some poor quality McAfee shoes listed for more than that, so I'm wondering what should I sell them for.

The first pair are Dacks loafers (imported calf) ... The 2nd pair are black patent leather (Church's Babers 289 Oxford St) .. The 3rd pair are McAfee black leather (polo player, 38 Dover St).

The Dacks look fine, but the other two pair would need resoling as I can see nails trying to poke through. And again, sizes are a mystery to me.

Thank you very much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads