• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine & Knit Tie Recommendations

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Is the end of a knit tie supposed to touch your belt like a "regular" tie? I forgot knit ties are square at the end . . . I think that has to grow on me a little more before I buy. Grenadine, on the other hand, I love.

No one answered about the type of knots. What type of knots do you tie with a grenadine or a knit?

Thank you,

Cheers

You must have missed my post, I said four in hand a few times, suggest a place to look to learn the knot and explained it a bit. Also Kent Wang has point end knits.

Originally Posted by bleachboy
Knot: Four-in-hand
Length: Most of my knit ties are too long (silk knits very much so), maybe because of the stretch. I usually end up tucking them into my pants.

Never had this experience, I am not overly tall either, I am about 6'1ish.

Matt S

Reaction score
4 in hand? Ah. That's the only knot I can't tie.

That's the only knot I tie. Grenadines are best with 4-in-hand. A half windsor can look nice in a knit tie too. It takes getting used to tying a knit tie so the knot doesn't end up lumpy.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny24
I don't see how a grenadine can be too "dressy" but a silk knit is too "casual". If that is the case what falls into the middle of 'office approved"?

Repp, pin-dot, neat patterns and prints. I consider grenadine, Macclesfield and wedding ties to be a step above in formality, though not much more formal. I just don't think of grenadines as everyday ties. Knit ties are much more casual than any other ties, square or triangular bottom. I think a knit tie is too casual for a suit.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Repp, pin-dot, neat patterns and prints. I consider grenadine, Macclesfield and wedding ties to be a step above in formality, though not much more formal. I just don't think of grenadines as everyday ties. Knit ties are much more casual than any other ties, square or triangular bottom. I think a knit tie is too casual for a suit.

I tend to get the most positive feedback when I wear a knit with a suit...granted most people are clueless but I think they look quite sharp, especially the wider ones.

Being such a Bond guy I thought you would have had a soft spot for the knit with a suit, it was the choice of Felmming's Bond, and I think Connery wore them a bit as well, I would have to look at your blog more to be sure though. I know he wore a lot of grenadine ties for the first four movies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to get the most positive feedback when I wear a knit with a suit...granted most people are clueless but I think they look quite sharp, especially the wider ones.

Being such a Bond guy I thought you would have had a soft spot for the knit with a suit, it was the choice of Felmming's Bond, and I think Connery wore them a bit as well, I would have to look at your blog more to be sure though. I know he wore a lot of grenadine ties for the first four movies.

Johnny,

I too like wider ties thats why I'm in search of a wider knit. The "skinny" look is a no go for me. It's not that I'm big b/c I'm not. I'm actually very athletic but I dont like the look of these skinnier ties.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Johnny,

I too like wider ties thats why I'm in search of a wider knit. The "skinny" look is a no go for me. It's not that I'm big b/c I'm not. I'm actually very athletic but I dont like the look of these skinnier ties.

I am in the same boat with the build, and I am not a skinny tie guy at all barring that one knit. I would suggest the JPress knits for you as they are a bit wider than my Brooks knits. It looks great with my gray and charcoal suits.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenadines are best with 4-in-hand.
Respectfully disagree.

Closeup-52.jpg

Closeup-41.jpg

Matt S

Reaction score

Connery wore knit ties with his suits in Goldfinger and wore one in You Only Live Twice. Apart from a few ribbed ties in Diamonds Are Forever, the rest were all grenadine. I don't agree with everything Bond wore. Bond wasn't one for always following the rules.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think most people will notice that your square end knit is square end, and that would make it a bit odd to wear at the office, but if you wear a point end knit no one will really tell the difference between that a "normal" tie, other than it has a bit more texture.

I'm also in favor of grenadine as everyday wear.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Connery wore knit ties with his suits in Goldfinger and wore one in You Only Live Twice. Apart from a few ribbed ties in Diamonds Are Forever, the rest were all grenadine. I don't agree with everything Bond wore. Bond wasn't one for always following the rules.
As much as SF doesn't want to admit it, the rules just aren't the same anymore. Obviously the costume designers were responsible for Bond's attire but he almost always looked sharp in those days. Given what people wear today, even in more "professional" fields I think knits with a square end are perfectly fine.
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think most people will notice that your square end knit is square end, and that would make it a bit odd to wear at the office, but if you wear a point end knit no one will really tell the difference between that a "normal" tie, other than it has a bit more texture. I'm also in favor of grenadine as everyday wear.
Being that when I wear a tie, I also wear a jacket or sweater so no one really sees the end of my tie. If someone wearing some awful looking late 90's tie, with a button down, and dockers tried to tell me my tie wasn't right because it was square ended, we would be having a serious chat. Actually, my current boss has taken to wearing square end knits because of the ones that I have worn to work, according to what he told me. He said, "I never really saw myself wearing them, but that one you wore looked good so I am giving them a shot".

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can't tell much difference in most knit ties. My cheapies from the Lands' End sales bin are as nice/durable as my Charvets.

Lands' End knit ties are an absolute steal. Typically available on sale for ~$15, they are easily as good as any others I own. And I own quite a few as I wear a knit tie almost every day...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Lands' End knit ties are an absolute steal. Typically available on sale for ~$15, they are easily as good as any others I own. And I own quite a few as I wear a knit tie almost every day...

+1,they are also made in Italy and I think are just as good as any other knit tie from usual suspects.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do Lands End ties go on sale? Just checked and retail is $50 plus shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads