• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOA

Reaction score
BB has one of the best return policy's in the business. They should correct it for you with no issues.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
I was already going to return them but my real question was as too why it happened. Was it a fit issue or a alden issue.

You said they never fit tight, even when new. Assuming you're not some masochist, I'd chalk it up to "**** happens." If you look through this thread you'll see that you're not alone in experiencing defective stitching.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered the last "Natty Longwing" from LS in a 10.5...

monologuist

Reaction score
^^
+1
I have the Nat.CXL LW from LSBH as well. Love it. Crepe sole + CXL leather is a perfect combo. They make a nice wet weather shoe as well, as long as you are careful about the leather toe flap getting too soaked. Come to think of it, does anyone have any remedies for waterproofing the leather flap at the end of Alden crepe soles? It would be nice if they used double oiled instead of regular leather for that piece.

Kraken

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but do I need a boot tree for my Kudu Ultimate Indy boots? In addition, per this thread I understand that the only care I need to give them is wipe mud/dirt off with no polish/cream/conditioners. Is this correct?

Thanks again everyone.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
Are those on the Aberdeen last? How does the Aberdeen compare to the Hampton Last? Same sizing?

Or Barrie Last - size up 1/2 on the Aberdeen?

they are on the aberdeen last

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
293zsdu.jpg

whiskey lwb

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kraken
This may be a silly question, but do I need a boot tree for my Kudu Ultimate Indy boots? In addition, per this thread I understand that the only care I need to give them is wipe mud/dirt off with no polish/cream/conditioners. Is this correct?

Thanks again everyone.

you can use shoe trees if you want, they can be dressed up or dressed down, you don't need to treat the leather with anything and experimenting with different products will probably prove the same

the only thing you should do is give them a day off after each wearing, that'll prolong the life of the shoes more than anything

borderline

Reaction score
I bout a pair of Alden for BB penny loafers and the stitching is coming out of the vamp. I only bought them about a month ago and have worn them maybe 10 times. 3 out of 4 corners of the vamp are coming undone. Im just worried that eh whole strap might now be compromised.the shoes fit fine out of the box and were never tight or too snug.

I'm totally sympathetic to these stitching problems, especially for expensive shoes, but it is worth noting how easy it is to fix by a cobbler. It's not like the leather is tearing. When it happened with my JCrew Aldens, I had my local cobbler do it and JCrew covered the cost ($12), and they've been fine ever since. Sometimes you have to decide whether you really want to send them back.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
http://i56.tinypic.com/293zsdu.jpg[IMG] whiskey lwb[/I]
Do you use wax on your whiskeys or ravellos? They seem to be just a tad darker brown than stock colors. I'd be interested to know the colors/brands of the waxes you use, if any. I know you've said you use kiwi brown on your cigars.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kraken

Thanks again everyone.

The key consideration here is that the evolution of the shoes will reflect how you wear and maintain them. Therefore, if you want your Indy's to look heavily worn and rugged (i.e. like a workboot) wear them as often as you'd like; shoe trees are not a necessity, nor is regular conditioning of the leather. The shoe will take to the contours of your foot, and the leather will develop character from exposure to the elements.

If you want your Indy's to look more of casual boot, you should consider resting the shoes between wears. Shoe trees will help to maintain the shape of the boot, and regular conditioning of the leather will help to maintain its lustre and enrich the colour.

The beauty of the Indy boot is that it will look great worn either way. Regardless of how you choose to wear them, proper maintenance and care will prolong their life.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was already going to return them but my real question was as too why it happened. Was it a fit issue or a alden issue.
I bought a pair Alden Indys from Shoemart that had the same problem. The shoe was slightly too big so I know it wasnt a fit issue. I returned the boots within 2 weeks having worn them just 6 times

false

Reaction score
Does Cordovan strech as much / more than calf?
-Also, do I have to call the shoe mart to get on the seconds list?

I'm an 8.5D according to the Branock device and originally went with an 8D on Trubalance. Ultimately, I found even an eight to give tons of heel slip and play on my right and a little on the left and crippling pain on long days because of the lack of arch support or support/cushion in the forefoot. Thicker socks magnified the problem unfortunately.

When I visited the shop where I got them later, the salesman said I could drop down to 7.5 with cordovan longwings because the cordovan would stretch and the shorter shoe would give give me better support/ a smoother stride. My 405's definately did stretch a massive amount, particularly on the top of the foot but can I expect the same of cordovan?

ltb

Reaction score
cordovan shoes will not stretch as much as calf. they don't stretch much at all, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads