1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior Member

Does Cordovan strech as much / more than calf?

I'm an 8.5D according to the Branock device and originally went with an 8D on Trubalance. Ultimately, I found even an eight to give tons of heel slip and play on my right and a little on the left and crippling pain on long days because of the lack of arch support or support/cushion in the forefoot. Thicker socks magnified the problem unfortunately.

When I visited the shop where I got them later, the salesman said I could drop down to 7.5 with cordovan longwings because the cordovan would stretch and the shorter shoe would give give me better support/ a smoother stride. My 405's definately did stretch a massive amount, particularly on the top of the foot but can I expect the same of cordovan?

Cordovan does not stretch as much as calf, but with proper sizing there should be little need for the leather to stretch. If you feel pressure at any point in your foot initially when sizing, you should consider sizing up in length or width.

As for sizing on Aldens, it is not unreasonable that a 7.5 on the Barrie/Trubalance last would fit you given your Brannock size. I measure a 10E on the Brannock and thus far 9E on the Trubalance has been the best fit, although a 9.5D also fits. Try the 7.5D and go from there.

2. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Distinguished Member

as long as you are careful about the leather toe flap getting too soaked.

I've been beating the hell out of that toe flap on the Roys. It's been a really wet winter here. when these need resoling, I'm getting a commando sole.

3. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior Member

4. blue collar

blue collar Distinguished Member

I've been beating the hell out of that toe flap on the Roys. It's been a really wet winter here. when these need resoling, I'm getting a commando sole.

Ya, I have passed up many beautiful shoe styles because of that sole design. Every one I see that has been in a wet environment has looked like a dogs breakfast after a few wearings. I don't really understand the point of it. If it's to keep the toe of the crepe sole from wearing down, it does a poor job. my $0.02

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior Member

Ya, I have passed up many beautiful shoe styles because of that sole design. Every one I see that has been in a wet environment has looked like a dogs breakfast after a few wearings. I don't really understand the point of it. If it's to keep the toe of the crepe sole from wearing down, it does a poor job. my $0.02 :rant:

I spoke with Alden about this leather toe on crepe shoes and it's actually done to prevent the crepe from catching while you walk, which could cause tripping.

But I am with you guys. Would certainly like to see an oil tip or an all crepe sole.

6. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

I spoke with Alden about this leather toe on crepe shoes and it's actually done to prevent the crepe from catching while you walk, which could cause tripping.

But I am with you guys. Would certainly like to see an oil tip or an all crepe sole.

Thanks for that follow-up. Did you convey that suggestion to Alden? I would be curious to hear what their response was to that.

That is the main flaw of the crepe sole. That being said, the comfort level is second to none.

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

fwiw, I had a pair of Grenson chukkas with 100% crepe sole, and I did catch my toe/stumble all the time.

I thought they were just too long, but now that I heard that from Alden, it completely makes sense

8. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

fwiw, I had a pair of Grenson chukkas with 100% crepe sole, and I did catch my toe/stumble all the time.

I thought they were just too long, but now that I heard that from Alden, it completely makes sense

+1 Mine were Rider Boots (chromexcel Hobo boots from Leffot). Had to get rid of them (and Rider boots don't retain their value in the resale market like Alden products do [​IMG] ).

I am also a little too O/C to deal with the nastiness that accumulates on the bottom of the sole. Commando soles are the way to go for me!

9. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Finally got around to wearing my number 8 cap toe boots today. [​IMG] I got an instruction care card from Alden with a purchase of Cigar Shells. It states that they recommend #8 wax on all their cordovans. Has anyone try it on a lighter shade like Cigar or Ravello?

10. brothersharp

brothersharp Member

These are my first pair of Aldens so I didn't know much of what to expect from them. I bought them back in October, and all that I knew was that they looked nice and were handcrafted--therefore being durable to the point of achieving 'lifetime-lasting' status. Luckily, the post holiday blizzard in NY gave me a great chance to see exactly how durable they were.

Detail pic:
    [​IMG]
    Actual colour:
    [​IMG]

Tried and tested. I can officially say that I'm impressed. I don't know too many boots that could have withstood that storm.

11. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

12. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

These are my first pair of Aldens so I didn't know much of what to expect from them. I bought them back in October, and all that I knew was that they looked nice and were handcrafted--therefore being durable to the point of achieving 'lifetime-lasting' status. Luckily, the post holiday blizzard in NY gave me a great chance to see exactly how durable they were. Detail pic: [​IMG] Actual colour: [​IMG] Tried and tested. I can officially say that I'm impressed. I don't know too many boots that could have withstood that storm.
    get ready for another 10-15 so they say! rocked my redwings during the last storm. after seeing your pics gonna rock my kudu ultimates this time around

13. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

Look nice and are handcrafted? How can you tell anymore? Next time buy a pair of Sorels for the deep snow/slush.

14. triumphman

triumphman Senior Member

^^ which alden boots are those??

15. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

^^ which alden boots are those??

cigar indys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.