1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I got mine through the Borders Rewards Program

EDIT - I have a $510 BB merchandise credit. Selling for $430. PM me if interested

Different sale. The extra corporate discount was last week.
    This week it's 25% off with bb MasterCard and 15% with other payment.

2. Beyachad

Beyachad Active Member

Is anyone doing an Alden dirty buck with a red brick sole this year? I missed the Winn Perry version last year and even missed a pair of the Winn Perry's that sold last month on here, dammit! I'm an 8D Barrie last in case anyone else is selling a pair!!

I'm considering the Sanders (McNairy's are too hard to find and they're the same thing), but would rather have Aldens. And I don't care for the J Crew leather soled version...They're nice, but I want trad red...

Thanks in advance...

Saw them this week in the DC Alden Shop in sand color.

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello full strap
    argyles otc

4. Beyachad

Beyachad Active Member

how do you get a corporate brooks card?

I got mine through my corporate discounts program set up by my benefits folks, and was able to use it last week to save 25% on a new pair of perforated cap toe shells.

Many mid to large-sized companies have these incentives, but I don't think the requirements are too stringent.http://http://www.brooksbrothers.com/cis/membership.tem

The card always gives you 15% off, but a few times a year it jumps to 25% off. Definitely comes in handy when you can combine this discount with others.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

My feet are slightly wider than the norm so I went TTS with the Grant last, which is .5 bigger than my Barrie and TruBalance last shoes.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I like them a lot. They're like the unlined chukka only a ptb.
    I'd be all over them if I didn't already have a pair of PS Cages in that same color suede.

I had the identical reaction - 'those look great, just like my PS Cages.'

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Winn Perry Chromexcel Workman Oxford making their maiden voyage.
    [​IMG]

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Does anyone here get Alden belts to match their Aldens? If so, can you weigh in on the quality and sizing? Thanks.

9. Derek92

Derek92 Senior member

My feet are slightly wider than the norm so I went TTS with the Grant last, which is .5 bigger than my Barrie and TruBalance last shoes.

And they fit fine? There is a pair of 9D I want on ebay and I have a wide foot too but my normal foot size is 9. Should I just chance it and flip if they don't fit?

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

And they fit fine? There is a pair of 9D I want on ebay and I have a wide foot too but my normal foot size is 9. Should I just chance it and flip if they don't fit?
    Yes. They're one of my favorites actually. Grant last #8 cap toe boots. It is the only last I have other than Barrie and TruBalance. I usually stick with the two latter lasts because of the shape of my feet. But I wanted those #8 cap toe boots so I went for it and it worked out.

I can't really answer your decision for you because I'm not sure if you will lose/make money off of it. (I never bought used Aldens, or shoes in general before).

11. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Does anyone here get Alden belts to match their Aldens? If so, can you weigh in on the quality and sizing? Thanks.

I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties.
    Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size.

If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties. Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size. If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.
    I have both the "Black" and "Burgundy" belts from BB and they go great with Black shell and Color #8 shoes, respectively.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties.
    Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size.

If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.

Thanks. I will stop by the local BB to see them for myself. I'm done with Aldens for a while. The natural chromexcel Indy Oxfords should be here next week. Black shell, ravello, and whiskey are on order. I just need belts to match them now. I'm not sure of the with in mm, but I'm looking for the typical 1'' belts to go with dress pants.

14. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Thanks. I will stop by the local BB to see them for myself. I'm done with Aldens for a while. The natural chromexcel Indy Oxfords should be here next week. Black shell, ravello, and whiskey are on order. I just need belts to match them now. I'm not sure of the with in mm, but I'm looking for the typical 1'' belts to go with dress pants.
    Anywhere to get a 35mm (or is it 34mm?) width belt in shell? Looking for something to match whiskey and or #8. Thanks and apologies for the continuation of thread derailment.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Anywhere to get a 35mm (or is it 34mm?) width belt in shell? Looking for something to match whiskey and or #8. Thanks and apologies for the continuation of thread derailment.
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

16. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Anywhere to get a 35mm (or is it 34mm?) width belt in shell? Looking for something to match whiskey and or #8.
    Thanks and apologies for the continuation of thread derailment.

http://www.bensilver.com/Genuine-She...elts,1954.html (at 1.25" wide, a little smaller than 35 mm)

18. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I don't disagree, but we all know how #8 will look black, brown or red depending on lighting, type of flash, etc... Whatever the case, bad web marketing in not making it more clear.

Definitely look like shell. Even Barneys would not sell calf Aldens for $610

19. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Not a very good picture, but I hope it helps. From top to bottom:

BB "tan" Cordovan, 30mm width, gold tone buckle.
    Alden Ravello, 35mm width, nickel plated brass buckle.
    Alden Cigar, 30mm width, nickel plated brass buckle.

One (1) inch belt would be pretty narrow. Normal dress belts are around 30mm, approx. 1-1/5 in (one and one fifth inch). From what I know, the BB ones are 30mm with gold tone buckles, unless they changed recently. Alden offers 30mm and 35mm, with either gold tone or nickel plated buckles.
    [​IMG]

20. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Sizing is... just like any other belt. Quality of the Shell belts is superb. Much higher than the Shell belts BB sells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.