• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLAB
My Alden boots (top right and bottom row)

wuhi_3dd_u31k.jpg

Slab-
nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
zinman74;3928914 said:
Ok, here are my J. Gilbert Plaza last cap toe boots in Color 8 with commando sole. Sorry the pics aren't great, but you can get an idea of the shape and the deep color.

P1070791.jpg

QUOTE]

Great looking boots!

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bugsy
Slab-
nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.

Originally Posted by SLAB
from top left to bottom right
Red Wing 875
Whites Semi Dress (for trade)
Alden cordovan #8 jumper
Alden calf kidskin cap toe boots
Alden Roy chrome excel PTB
Alden Indy (canvas lined)

All of the Aldens are on the Trubalance last, except the kidskin boots which are on the modified last.

triumphman

Reaction score
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable... I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...
Asked and answered. Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...

I have a wider, flatter foot. I enjoy the Trubalance and the Hampton. I wish they made boots on the Hampton last. Barrie is okay too.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Asked and answered.

Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.

Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.

jolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.

Completely agree, but one problem that I've run into (and very recently/expensively) is that what a boot feels like when you're trying it on is nothing like what it feels like in a week, month, or year. I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

this really is a decent plan

especially when starting off, buying used shoes is a whole lot safer and cheaper than experimenting with new

once you are 100% sure what your size is and what styles you want, I think you are safer doing things like pre-ordering and such

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What colors pair up nicely with #8?
What color belts do you guys wear with #8?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01

1. almost anything
2. you can buy a color 8 belt, but I just roll with brown. its probably a crime but I like having fewer things

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01

I think an exact match can be a bit much.

I agree with brown. Maybe a dark shade.....

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stokely

I agree that #8 is extremely versatile. But I tend to think of it as more in the black family than in the brown. I would be more likely to wear a black belt with #8 shoes. But that is just me.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stokely

I have a "merlot" belt from Allen Edmonds, which has just enough of a reddish tint to work with #8, but not enough to make it not work with other dark brown shoes. (IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads