• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
First time wearing my natty cxl plain toe boots on the trubalance last. I am going to beat them up a fair amount and will post some pics once they've got more character.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
I'll be receiving my J Crew x Alden Indy's next week and am starting to worry about the sole situation. I'll happily wear these through the summer, but was actually thinking about them having them be a regular, typical-rainy-day-in-London shoe.

What are my options in terms of sole replacement/improvement/whatever? And if already on the topic, does anyone know of worthy cobblers in London who can be trusted with a fix like this?

Originally Posted by tooshay
Never said I wouldn't send them back. I just read some people mention that leather soles deteriorate in wet conditions, so I started to get worried... But if you say they should hold up, I'm relieved.

You should have nothing to worry about. The J. Crew Indys do not have leather soles. The soles are Neocork which hold up fairly well to the elements.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
First time wearing my natty cxl plain toe boots on the trubalance last. I am going to beat them up a fair amount and will post some pics once they've got more character.

Beautiful boots.

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
What size are you? That's a stock boot for us (we constantly have it in stock or on order). Feel free to call or email us to check stock.

Tom, you have the tanker boot in #8 w a commando sole?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Tom, you have the tanker boot in #8 w a commando sole?

We do but they don't stay in stock long. Received a 24 pair order on Friday and we have 5 pair left this morning.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need some of your thoughts. I typically wear a 9, so for my first Indys I went a half size down with an 8.5. They fit well, but seem a slight bit roomy in the toe box. Then I purchased some shell cap toes in the grant last in size 8.5 and I really love the fit. I must admit, I do have a slightly narrow foot.

So, do you think going down to an 8 in the Indys might be the best option? I have about 3/4 of an inch to an inch of space in my Indys.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Hey guys, need some of your thoughts. I typically wear a 9, so for my first Indys I went a half size down with an 8.5. They fit well, but seem a slight bit roomy in the toe box. Then I purchased some shell cap toes in the grant last in size 8.5 and I really love the fit. I must admit, I do have a slightly narrow foot.

So, do you think going down to an 8 in the Indys might be the best option? I have about 3/4 of an inch to an inch of space in my Indys.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Why would you not get the Indy boots in a narrow width? Fit the length correctly, then figure out which width will work.

jolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
+1

I have made several expensive fit mistakes...and at this point, I am of the mindset it's been better to just cut my losses and chalk it up to experience. Suggest scrapping 'em and starting over.

Thanks guys--that's what I'll do...

Now I just need to start the waiting game for some Ravello boots to come out in an 11D from one of the great vendors on here.

LeatherSOUL--any chance you guys are releasing something like that soon?
smile.gif

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Why would you not get the Indy boots in a narrow width? Fit the length correctly, then figure out which width will work.

Have you ever tried to order a pair of the Indy boots in a narrow width? They are almost never to be found and pretty much only a pre-order option.

So, rather than having to wait around a year for every pair of Alden boots I might be interested in, I am wondering if an 8D may be a viable option.

triumphman

Reaction score
Tom...any chance you'll be getting the Plaza Cap Toe Dress Boot in anytime soon?

would like to put down a deposit if these are coming in the near future.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
Thanks guys--that's what I'll do...

Now I just need to start the waiting game for some Ravello boots to come out in an 11D from one of the great vendors on here.

LeatherSOUL--any chance you guys are releasing something like that soon?
smile.gif

Sorry, nothing in the works.

Originally Posted by triumphman
Tom...any chance you'll be getting the Plaza Cap Toe Dress Boot in anytime soon?

would like to put down a deposit if these are coming in the near future.

Bryan has some in stock now at LSBH. [email protected] (310)248-2399

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Have you ever tried to order a pair of the Indy boots in a narrow width? They are almost never to be found and pretty much only a pre-order option.

So, rather than having to wait around a year for every pair of Alden boots I might be interested in, I am wondering if an 8D may be a viable option.

I feel your pain. No pair (and I mean no pair) of readily available Aldens fits me. Every single pair of my shoes are narrow width. Even worse, I take a 7.5 in a lot of lasts. It's impossible to find a 7.5C at any Alden retailer.

Going down .5 results in essentially one letter width drop. You can use this knowledge to see if a narrower width would be helpful in your current size if you can't stand to lose the length. Even though the wait is long, pre-ordering your optimal size is the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads