1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

i bought a color 8 belt. the belt won't always match the exact shade of the shoe, but it doesn't have to be perfect. if you want to stick with calf, go very dark brown. most burgundy belts don't look right. that said, i found a j&m burgundy and a cole haan burgundy that look close, but the dark brown will do the job and be more versatile. plus, when you buy cigar, they will still match.
    yeah, dark brown is fine, though I found a Brooks Brothers burgundy shell belt on sale on ebay recently for $75 so I swooped it up. same seller still has a couple, now $95!

2. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Bigger question, what do you wear with your whiskey?

3. makewayhomer

Bigger question, what do you wear with your whiskey?

brooks brothers whiskey belt!

(I own neither whiskey or the belt currently)

4. makewayhomer

They are tan like tan. [​IMG] They are wool trousers, literally in color "Tan". I mentioned the color simply because the photo makes them look a bit gray-ish, or possibly even puke-ish. Of course puke arguably pairs well with piss-colored shoes; unfortunately my shirt does not resemble a bodily fluid, thus failing to coordinate properly with the rest of the outfit.

thanks, would love to see a pic of these w/ khakis

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

brooks brothers whiskey belt!

(I own neither whiskey or the belt currently)

I own both and they're a perfect match.

6. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior member

Alden needs to branch out and use some of that Navy Shell Cordovan that Florsheim put on their Duckie Brown brogues. The leather is really stunning! Gotta pick up a pair to match my Leffot navy shell wallet.

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Alden needs to branch out and use some of that Navy Shell Cordovan that Florsheim put on their Duckie Brown brogues. The leather is really stunning! Gotta pick up a pair to match my Leffot navy shell wallet.
    AE has their Navy MacNeil's (not shell cordovan) on sale right now for a good price. I can't bring myself to go with navy leather though. Reminds me of my Grandmas shoes or something.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

AE has their Navy MacNeil's (not shell cordovan) on sale right now for a good price. I can't bring myself to go with navy leather though. Reminds me of my Grandmas shoes or something.

Are you related to Reevolving?

9. phototristan

No, what's that?

10. REguy

REguy Senior member

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

wide ass moc toe chukkas [​IMG]
    +1.

12. phototristan

^Reevolving

[​IMG]

I don't get it, but whatever.

13. kenjiro0621

kenjiro0621 Member

Ok, here are my J. Gilbert Plaza last cap toe boots in Color 8 with commando sole. Sorry the pics aren't great, but you can get an idea of the shape and the deep color. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And with the other Aldens I own. [​IMG] These boots are by far my favorite purchase since I got this ridiculous footwear bug. As far as sizing goes, my right foot is a 10D, where as my left foot is a bit shorter and narrower. I wear a 9.5D comfortably in the Barrie last and a 10D in the Hampton last. At first, I was worried that the 10D in the Plaza would be too long. Turns out, they fit fine. I have between 3/4-1 inch of room in the toe box, but that isn't a problem, given that the Plaza last seems to fit narrower overall from the heel to the toe. They fit a bit more snugly than my Barries. As far as the look goes, I was also a bit concerned that the toe would be too square. Not the case. The boot works fine as a casual boot with raw or dark denim, or with wool trousers. As Alden of Carmel describes "a soft, square toe". I am not bothered by the commando sole.
    I am considering to buy a pair of boot in Plaza, but am concerned a bit about the sizing AND the looks as well. I have a pair of Indy (Trubalance) in 6D and I guess I should go 1 half size up for Plaza (=6.5D). I would like to have them snug, and definitely don't want have them big. Because all Alden Boots have their welts sticking out from the body for about 3/16~1/4" or so and they end up being bigger than other shoes in same size. I am short and don't want have my shoes to look too big. Since my shoe size is so small thus this welt/sizing issue is MAJOR considering the ratio between welt width and overall boot size/shape. My Indy in 6D is fine in terms of the fit and the look. What's the reason they suggest to go 1 half size up compared to their Barrie, Trubalance or Modified? Just the width issue? Or the fit overall? Does anyone have any idea? Is Plaza supposed to fit right with some room in the toe? I wonder if I can go with same size as my Indy.

14. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

I am considering to buy a pair of boot in Plaza, but am concerned a bit about the sizing AND the looks as well. I have a pair of Indy (Trubalance) in 6D and I guess I should go 1 half size up for Plaza (=6.5D).

I would like to have them snug, and definitely don't want have them big. Because all Alden Boots have their welts sticking out from the body for about 3/16~1/4" or so and they end up being bigger than other shoes in same size. I am short and don't want have my shoes to look too big. Since my shoe size is so small thus this welt/sizing issue is MAJOR considering the ratio between welt width and overall boot size/shape. My Indy in 6D is fine in terms of the fit and the look.

What's the reason they suggest to go 1 half size up compared to their Barrie, Trubalance or Modified? Just the width issue? Or the fit overall? Does anyone have any idea? Is Plaza supposed to fit right with some room in the toe? I wonder if I can go with same size as my Indy.

The 9D Plaza fits me perfect. Out of all of the Aldens I have, the 9D Plaza is best for my foot. The 9D Trubalance is a bit large for my foot. The 9D Barrie is just a tiny bit too big. I haven't been able to try any size 9 shoes in anything other than D width. I actually think that a 8.5D Trubalance would fit me better than the 9D. Does this help or confuse? If it confuses then move along...nothing to see here...

15. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

oh, and BTW kenjiro0621, that plaza last boot in #8 is awesome! I have the same boot from Leathersoul with leather on the bottom. Living in Madison WI they would get more wear with the commando. I did recently have vibram's added so that I can wear them more often.

16. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

oh, and BTW kenjiro0621, that plaza last boot in #8 is awesome! I have the same boot from Leathersoul with leather on the bottom. Living in Madison WI they would get more wear with the commando. I did recently have vibram's added so that I can wear them more often.

Plaza last is easily one of the best alden lasts - I managed to pre-order a NST blucher, boot and a captoe boot all on plaza and #8 from J-gilbert - can't wait for september ish!

17. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Got a new camera, so working on better pictures.

Alden x Leathersoul Pitt Boot in Shell:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alden x Leathersoul Snuff Suede PT Flex Boot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. sazon

sazon Senior member

^ these are both drool-worthy boots, IMO. Love em. Thanks for posting them.

19. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I am considering to buy a pair of boot in Plaza, but am concerned a bit about the sizing AND the looks as well. I have a pair of Indy (Trubalance) in 6D and I guess I should go 1 half size up for Plaza (=6.5D).

I would like to have them snug, and definitely don't want have them big. Because all Alden Boots have their welts sticking out from the body for about 3/16~1/4" or so and they end up being bigger than other shoes in same size. I am short and don't want have my shoes to look too big. Since my shoe size is so small thus this welt/sizing issue is MAJOR considering the ratio between welt width and overall boot size/shape. My Indy in 6D is fine in terms of the fit and the look.

What's the reason they suggest to go 1 half size up compared to their Barrie, Trubalance or Modified? Just the width issue? Or the fit overall? Does anyone have any idea? Is Plaza supposed to fit right with some room in the toe? I wonder if I can go with same size as my Indy.

The Plaza last is far sleeker than the Barrie and Trubalance. The Plaza works very well on my flat feet (low instep too). Typically, you would buy your Brannock size; in my case I am 9D on the Plaza.

The Trubalance has a somewhat wide toebox - I wear an 8.5D and still find it relatively roomy. The last was originally designed for pronation and other pedorthic reasons.

The Barrie has a relatively high instep, I wear an 8.5D as well - low instep folk like myself might find it useful to insert a tongue pad.

20. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.