• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Rankiz

Reaction score
Do you think this fit nice togheter?
Ralph Lauren academy coat, in navy tho.
pPOLO2-8602402_standard_v330.jpg

Knomo bungo
Style%20bag%20knomo%20bungo-Hero1309263750000.jpg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How far below waist should a suit jacket hang? Or what is the definitive measurement to determine proper BOC length?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
What do you guys think of the Saks Fifth Avenue house brand. I saw a Saks topcoat (in black) that had an MSRP of 1000, but was on sale for 200. It seemed like a solid topcoat but I was curious what you fellows thought of the brand. I don't plan on spending more than 350 for a top coat, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Do you like the coat? Does it fit your budget? Does it fit well?

If yes, yes, and yes; then yes.

Originally Posted by Rugger
How far below waist should a suit jacket hang? Or what is the definitive measurement to determine proper BOC length?

There is no definitive measurement. Covering your butt is a pretty good rule. Some prefer jackets longer or shorter than others. Like hemlines, the fashionable length changes over time.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Unless your other ties feature gigantic clowns, I can't see why you would be...

they're wool ties... wasn't sure if wool ties are winter-only thing or what

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They may be harder to wear in the summer because of the heat, especially since you are in LA. Pattern and color wise you are OK.

Rankiz

Reaction score
In Norway we have Ralph Lauren with classic fit, custom fit and slim fit. I want the slimmest one, what is this compared to when ordering from Ralph Lauren online?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Not that substantial. You're only talking about cutting open the lapel, cutting it down, and resewing it. Possibly redoing some padstitching.

If the coat is fully canvassed, then it is not quite that simple. You would probably want to put some basting in to hold everything in place before taking it apart. You'll also have to redo the edge-tape along the edge of the lapel, which is slip-stitched to both the canvas and the front-part seam-allowance, and after slip-stitching the edge closed again you'll need to redo the prick-stitching along the edge.

If you're slimming it enough that you're cutting through the pad-stitching then I expect you would also need to re-pad-stitch the entire lapel, as cutting it will leave the rest loose and no longer able to help the lapel to hold its shape.

phailing101

Reaction score
Hi guys- just wearing a new suit (Coppley- medium grey) and I'm trying to determine if my AE Strands in Walnut are too light of a colour......I should clarify that I'm cursed with colour blindness as well which can cause delusional colour matching choices at times!

I think they look OK but I'm thinking I'll wear a darker shade of brown shoes next time.

What do you think? Do the colours work?

Thanks!

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
Was just at Macy's and saw a gray Lauren by Ralph Lauren silver label sport coat. I don't have one in gray and was thinking it could work to fill out my wardrobe at a good price (with multiple discounts, it'll be around $175).

I've seen minimal references to the brand on the site, but apparently it's not owned by RL anymore and people think the clothes are crap.

can someone give me a reason why the clothes are crap quality and explain why I shouldn't go for it at such a low price?

Bump for some advice please?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads