1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I could use some opinions on this suit. I can get it for $250, which is half off the original. Is it too short/"fashion forward"?

[​IMG]

I don't think it looks short at all, in-fact any longer and it would probably make your legs look short, though the angle of the photo doesn't help (having the camera at waist-heigh is best for judging length issues, so there's minimal perspective distortion).

How tall are you?

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

3. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Navy knit tie with a white shirt and charcoal suit. Will this look good? I know it looks good with a navy suit, but my navy suit fits like shit. Would it be better with a different color shirt?

4. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I could use some opinions on this suit. I can get it for $250, which is half off the original. Is it too short/"fashion forward"?

Here are pics, its a 36S. I really like it but second opinions are always good.

Also sorry the pics suck, was in a rush to get to work and my phone camera sucks ass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side shot looks funky, it didnt look like that normally. Probably because my arm was up. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks [​IMG]

It's not fashion forward at all. It is a traditional 2 button suit with standard pockets. The only thing fashion forward would be the double vents.

5. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

Navy knit tie with a white shirt and charcoal suit. Will this look good? I know it looks good with a navy suit, but my navy suit fits like shit. Would it be better with a different color shirt?
    About as classic a look as I could think of. The white shirt could be switched out with pale blue. Only problem could be how dark the suit is and it may look a bit bland (Also if the suit was really dark that maybe a problem)
    [​IMG]
    See this also http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...r-clothes.html

6. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

7. Navi

Navi Senior member

I don't think it looks short at all, in-fact any longer and it would probably make your legs look short, though the angle of the photo doesn't help (having the camera at waist-heigh is best for judging length issues, so there's minimal perspective distortion).

How tall are you?

I'm 5'11. Most of my R jackets are pretty long on me it seems, so I'm starting to wear S more and more. Maybe its just my personal style and taste changing though.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It's not fashion forward at all. It is a traditional 2 button suit with standard pockets. The only thing fashion forward would be the double vents.
    There's nothing 'fashion forward' about side vents...
    I'm 5'11. Most of my R jackets are pretty long on me it seems, so I'm starting to wear S more and more. Maybe its just my personal style and taste changing though.
    At 5'11" I would expect you to be wearing R, but these things can vary depending on how long your legs are relative to your torso etc.

9. doublemazaa

doublemazaa Well-Known Member

Have I got a challenge for you. I want these shoes. Cole-Haan used to sell them under their "Bragano" lines as the "Rivaldi" model. They don't anymore. Does anyone know who made these for Cole-Haan or where I can get something just like this?

Allen Edmond's Bimini shoe is similar. I think it's out of production, but there's a lead for ya.

10. libertinebrian

libertinebrian Member

Does anyone know what the name of this style of Coat worn by Pete Doherty on the left or where I could possibly get one? I don't even know how I would go about looking for one on the internet. Thanks
    [​IMG]

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Pete Doherty? On the left? You sure?

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Considering this item at Yoox. http://www1.yoox.com/item/YOOX/PINO+...X/sts/sr_men80 http://cdn.yoox.biz/41/41167546nx_14_f.jpg[/IMG I don't have anything similar in my wardrobe. Is it a good pickup at this price point? $155[/I]
    Depends on what you already have. That's not an item you would want to have if you're still building the foundations of a wardrobe, but if you have a fair bit of stuff already, that could be a fun piece to work into the rotation. As for the price point, I don't know the quality and what it normally runs to judge. But if you like it and are comfortable paying that price, why not?

13. beansach

beansach Member

Bought this three piece suit, 3r2, at a rummage sale. Its a deansgate made for the toggerty shop, a high end local retailer. Was wondering if anyone knows about deansgate, and if there is any reason I couldnt wear this as an odd coat.
    [​IMG]

14. dieselman89

There's nothing 'fashion forward' about side vents...

At 5'11" I would expect you to be wearing R, but these things can vary depending on how long your legs are relative to your torso etc.

Fashion Forward = Modern. Side vents are a more modern look. Traditional look is a vent down the middle.

15. beansach

beansach Member

worth wearing? Hand me downs from shorter uncle. They are a pleated, french fly zanella trouser that sits on the hips (Im a 20 year old athletic build, but Im fine with pleats) Do you think these are worth getting tailored? All they need is some length. If I did get them tailored and keep them, what would I wear with this? The picture is poor quality. BTW, thats muted blue and grey with white, not black like waiter pants.
    [​IMG]

16. dieselman89

Anyone know of any sales coming up on suits?

17. beansach

beansach Member

Ianiceman is right about the check being too large to wear with a tie. From a purely aesthetic perspective, I think the check size looks fine. So unless you are going to be around people who think and know about clothes you will be golden. One small detail- With a lapel that wide I would wear a wider tie.

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Fashion Forward = Modern. Side vents are a more modern look. Traditional look is a vent down the middle.

I believe you are incorrect. Flusser describes side vents as an English traditional look. Side vents were originally designed for wear when riding horses, so there is nothing modern about it.

http://www.throughtherye.com/flusser/ch2part2.htm

19. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

Very seriously, you have 100% no idea what you are talking about.

20. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

anyone know where to pick up loro piana outerwear online, anywhere that's not bergdorf/neiman/yoox/bluefly?