1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior Member

Do you think this fit nice togheter?
    Ralph Lauren academy coat, in navy tho.
    [​IMG]
    Knomo bungo
    [​IMG]

2. Rugger

Rugger Senior Member

How far below waist should a suit jacket hang? Or what is the definitive measurement to determine proper BOC length?

3. binge

binge Distinguished Member

What do you guys think of the Saks Fifth Avenue house brand. I saw a Saks topcoat (in black) that had an MSRP of 1000, but was on sale for 200. It seemed like a solid topcoat but I was curious what you fellows thought of the brand. I don't plan on spending more than 350 for a top coat, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Do you like the coat? Does it fit your budget? Does it fit well?

If yes, yes, and yes; then yes.

How far below waist should a suit jacket hang? Or what is the definitive measurement to determine proper BOC length?

There is no definitive measurement. Covering your butt is a pretty good rule. Some prefer jackets longer or shorter than others. Like hemlines, the fashionable length changes over time.

4. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Distinguished Member

5. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_101627

$9 for solid color silk pocket square
    how are these ps's at jos a banks?
    i am thinking about getting some basic color pocket squares to start my collection
    yay or nay?

Unless you have a big hang up about the silk used for your PS', $9 is a good deal.

6. XKxRome0ox

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    am i limited to wearing these ties in the winter?

7. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    am i limited to wearing these ties in the winter?

Unless your other ties feature gigantic clowns, I can't see why you would be...

8. XKxRome0ox

Unless your other ties feature gigantic clowns, I can't see why you would be...

they're wool ties... wasn't sure if wool ties are winter-only thing or what

9. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

10. landshark

landshark Distinguished Member

They may be harder to wear in the summer because of the heat, especially since you are in LA. Pattern and color wise you are OK.

11. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior Member

Seen similar jackets from D&G and Kalvin Klein.

12. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior Member

In Norway we have Ralph Lauren with classic fit, custom fit and slim fit. I want the slimmest one, what is this compared to when ordering from Ralph Lauren online?

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Distinguished Member

Not that substantial. You're only talking about cutting open the lapel, cutting it down, and resewing it. Possibly redoing some padstitching.

If the coat is fully canvassed, then it is not quite that simple. You would probably want to put some basting in to hold everything in place before taking it apart. You'll also have to redo the edge-tape along the edge of the lapel, which is slip-stitched to both the canvas and the front-part seam-allowance, and after slip-stitching the edge closed again you'll need to redo the prick-stitching along the edge.

If you're slimming it enough that you're cutting through the pad-stitching then I expect you would also need to re-pad-stitch the entire lapel, as cutting it will leave the rest loose and no longer able to help the lapel to hold its shape.

14. phailing101

phailing101 Senior Member

Hi guys- just wearing a new suit (Coppley- medium grey) and I'm trying to determine if my AE Strands in Walnut are too light of a colour......I should clarify that I'm cursed with colour blindness as well which can cause delusional colour matching choices at times!

I think they look OK but I'm thinking I'll wear a darker shade of brown shoes next time.

What do you think? Do the colours work?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior Member

Was just at Macy's and saw a gray Lauren by Ralph Lauren silver label sport coat. I don't have one in gray and was thinking it could work to fill out my wardrobe at a good price (with multiple discounts, it'll be around $175).

I've seen minimal references to the brand on the site, but apparently it's not owned by RL anymore and people think the clothes are crap.

can someone give me a reason why the clothes are crap quality and explain why I shouldn't go for it at such a low price?

Bump for some advice please?