• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i jumped on the groupon.

i need a pair of gray trousers.
and i'll probably pick up a tie bar.

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Actually, in the 70s, fashion-conscious men went from wearing well-cut suits to wearing skin-tight suits. Know your history
teacha.gif

I don't claim to have first-hand experience with that era, but I would have to disagree. While the 1960s were at the peak of fashion, the mod culture emerged during that decade, and was later brought back into fashion in brief periods during the 70s and 80s. What the 70s popularized were badly cut polyester suits, men's bellbottoms, platform shoes, Elvis etc. I was wrong to say they got lazy. I should have phrased it as "got carried away".

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when are they going to release the next set of suits?

i'm looking for some heavy wool pants from them.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
when are they going to release the next set of suits?

i'm looking for some heavy wool pants from them.

Probably in December, it would make sense to do it rather early if the suits are ordered as a present... But as they release a new collection pretty much every month, some time in December would be a good guess.

superlyduper

Reaction score
@raphael__n & arvidg: thanks for answering my list of questions, i'm alot closer to ordering

Few more concerns:

Whats the difference between the two plain white shirts offered: the Ultimate Utility Shirt and the Blueprint White Oxford Shirt?

What would be the "correct" lining color for a 3 piece charcoal suit in a conservative professional setting? Would it be black, or would a grey be better (is it me or does the grey on the indochino site look a shade too light)

Can the difference between the different shirt cuffs be elaborated on? A brief discussion on normal vs angled vs rounded and one button vs two button barrel cuffs. Which one is the normal choice? Is it true with two buttons the cuff is longer, and that may alter the fit of the sleeves?

dwightlathan77

Reaction score
I'd love it if someone simply scored several suit brands on a scale of 1-10, including Indochino.

What are customers perspectives based on OTR brands that are minimally tailored (chest, waist, hips, lenfth)

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superlyduper
@raphael__n & arvidg: thanks for answering my list of questions, i'm alot closer to ordering

Few more concerns:

Whats the difference between the two plain white shirts offered: the Ultimate Utility Shirt and the Blueprint White Oxford Shirt?

What would be the "correct" lining color for a 3 piece charcoal suit in a conservative professional setting? Would it be black, or would a grey be better (is it me or does the grey on the indochino site look a shade too light)

Can the difference between the different shirt cuffs be elaborated on? A brief discussion on normal vs angled vs rounded and one button vs two button barrel cuffs. Which one is the normal choice? Is it true with two buttons the cuff is longer, and that may alter the fit of the sleeves?

The grey lining is light, but I think it would be ok. I have the ultimate grey and people have complemented the lining. I think black would be a bit weird.

I looked into the white shirts. I have a utility, or previous version of it. It's more of a regular white poplin, very basic, smooth, but nothing super nice. Typically when I think of an oxford shirt, I think broadcloth, button-down but there site says it is soft and paperthin which makes no sense to me. Oxford is much more coarse than other weaves so I dunno what they are trying to say. When in doubt, get the most expensive.

As far as cuffs, that is a personal choice. The standard would be rounded one-button barrel cuff. That is probably 80% of all shirts and you can't go wrong. Double button barrel if you want it but only if you have long arms b/c it does make the cuff longer, but doesn't alter fit. French cuffs if you want to rock cufflinks in a more formal setting. Angled is a personal preference.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Groupon is offering $125 Indochino credit for $50 Canadian today. You can find it on Groupon's Vancouver site. I don't want to post a referral link, but PM me if you want one (and net me some credit
smile.gif
).

halfspec

Reaction score
tanyet: You're welcome. I'll see what I can do about getting pics with my arms really raised. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be as the shoulders still pop up pretty high when I raise my arms :\\

dwightlathan77: Were those comments intended for me? If so, thanks for the tips
smile.gif

I'm calling tailors in my area trying to find someone I trust to critique my suit and give me a sub $75 alteration plan or recommend having the suit remade. Not easy when you live in the sticks of Mississippi
frown.gif

I would love recommendations on areas to focus on if anybody else that see's something wrong in my pictures. I would like to at least be able to go to the tailor with an idea of what needs to be done
smile.gif

Lane

raphael__n

Reaction score
so, my second remake came in today. Everything looks great, except the shoulders are still too big. Otherwise, length, sleeves, arms etc. are all perfect. The arms look a little flabby, but when I pull the shoulder in about 1/4-1/2", the arms drapes perfectly. Has the right amount of "slim" without pulling and tugging at the cloth like the last one did. And that awful pick-stitching is gone!!
biggrin.gif
I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. The funny thing is that they took my shoulders in from 16" to 15.25", and that is definitely not what I'm seeing on the suit. The shoulders are bigger than the last one. I suppose that 3/4" came off the padding. At least I don't look like a football player anymore. Now, I've heard bad things about tinkering with shoulders. Should I have it taken in, or will that pose problems? Vest and pants are absolutely perfect. The best fit I've ever worn. I even had Indochino open up the pockets so I can rock the jetted look for those more formal occasions. While not significant, the higher armholes definitely made a worthwhile difference for me. Jacket doesn't snag anywhere near as much when I move my arms. And I'm definitely enjoying the natural shoulders more (all the more reason to reduce. Large natural shoulders look weird). I would recommend everyone to opt for this option when ordering Indochino's suits. Their house cut has an unnecessary amount of padding and the natural shoulders take care of it.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
so, my second remake came in today. Everything looks great, except the shoulders are still too big. Otherwise, length, sleeves, arms etc. are all perfect. The arms look a little flabby, but when I pull the shoulder in about 1/4-1/2", the arms drapes perfectly. Has the right amount of "slim" without pulling and tugging at the cloth like the last one did. And that awful pick-stitching is gone!!
biggrin.gif
I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. The funny thing is that they took my shoulders in from 16" to 15.25", and that is definitely not what I'm seeing on the suit. The shoulders are bigger than the last one. I suppose that 3/4" came off the padding. At least I don't look like a football player anymore. Now, I've heard bad things about tinkering with shoulders. Should I have it taken in, or will that pose problems? Vest and pants are absolutely perfect. The best fit I've ever worn. I even had Indochino open up the pockets so I can rock the jetted look for those more formal occasions.

While not significant, the higher armholes definitely made a worthwhile difference for me. Jacket doesn't snag anywhere near as much when I move my arms. And I'm definitely enjoying the natural shoulders more (all the more reason to reduce. Large natural shoulders look weird). I would recommend everyone to opt for this option when ordering Indochino's suits. Their house cut has an unnecessary amount of padding and the natural shoulders take care of it.

My pants were a bit too short and the vest too big, so I'm having those tailored (easy fixes and under the $75) but the jacket I have to send back for a remake. I asked for 16.75 shoulders and they gave me 17, but after spending time with the tailor and trying on some other jackets, it seems I really need 16 shoulders... wonder if I should mark it at 15.75 to be safe. Even if they cut it exactly at 15.75 it would still be ok.

Also wonder if I should be concerned about slightly different fabrics being used, which seems to have happened to a few people in this thread.

And the tailor I went to, who makes bespoke in SF, was pretty appalled by the general quality of the suit but had to admit the price point makes it attractive. His lowest price for a bespoke suit was $1200. So overall I just hope to make out with something I can feel good about putting on even if it's not completely perfect.

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcmeyer
My pants were a bit too short and the vest too big, so I'm having those tailored (easy fixes and under the $75) but the jacket I have to send back for a remake. I asked for 16.75 shoulders and they gave me 17, but after spending time with the tailor and trying on some other jackets, it seems I really need 16 shoulders... wonder if I should mark it at 15.75 to be safe. Even if they cut it exactly at 15.75 it would still be ok. Also wonder if I should be concerned about slightly different fabrics being used, which seems to have happened to a few people in this thread. And the tailor I went to, who makes bespoke in SF, was pretty appalled by the general quality of the suit but had to admit the price point makes it attractive. His lowest price for a bespoke suit was $1200. So overall I just hope to make out with something I can feel good about putting on even if it's not completely perfect.
I agree about the quality. There are many who say that the suits are a bargain for the price. I agree and disagree. Yes, the fact that you get a MTM suit that is guaranteed to fit you any way you like, and they will stand behind it (remade for me twice), is worth quite a lot more than they're charging. Despite that it isn't true bespoke, the process is treated very much like a long-distance bespoke service. The difference is that it takes longer than bespoke if the process has to be repeated until you achieve your desired result. In terms of the fabric, I definitely would not say it's a bargain. The fabric quality is average at best, and may be found on sale RTW for less than the asking price. However, there are two main factors to consider: 1) The suits can almost always be matched with a good discount code + free shirt & accessory 2) The fabric quality may only be poor because it is in their lower end of pricing. For example, I hear owners of the Walker Navy Tweed are quite happy with the quality of their suit, much like I am more than pleased with the quality of the Navy Peacoat. It is nearly identical in appearance to the Belgian Pilot Jacket. So, I ordered a fabric swatch of both. While the Belgian Pilot Jacket has a good fabric, the Navy Peacoat is a clear step above. Although I ended up with the latter by mistake, it was a very good one indeed! I have a decent fitting blazer in my collection and have worn rental and hand-me-down altered suits (which I ended up throwing out). For my first suit purchase, I needed a charcoal colour, and they only offered it in one fabric selection, so my choice was limited. For what I paid, I am more than happy with Indochino for going to great lengths to fit me the way I was hoping. All that initial frustration was worth it. I have a "very" difficult frame to fit off the rack (short and skinny), and I will definitely be reordering from them. First, I need to get those shoulders fixed! There is one custmer requirement for ordering from Indochino, and that is patience. Given the quick turnaround time, it's well worth it.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
I agree about the quality. There are many who say that the suits are a bargain for the price. I agree and disagree. Yes, the fact that you get a MTM suit that is guaranteed to fit you any way you like, and they will stand behind it (remade for me twice), is worth quite a lot more than they're charging. Despite that it isn't true bespoke, the process is treated very much like a long-distance bespoke service. The difference is that it takes longer than bespoke if the process has to be repeated until you achieve your desired result. In terms of the fabric, I definitely would not say it's a bargain. The fabric quality is average at best, and may be found on sale RTW for less than the asking price.

However, there are two main factors to consider:

1) The suits can almost always be matched with a good discount code + free shirt & accessory

2) The fabric quality may only be poor because it is in their lower end of pricing. For example, I hear owners of the Walker Navy Tweed are quite happy with the quality of their suit, much like I am more than pleased with the quality of the Navy Peacoat. It is nearly identical in appearance to the Belgian Pilot Jacket. So, I ordered a fabric swatch of both. While the Belgian Pilot Jacket has a good fabric, the Navy Peacoat is a clear step above. Although I ended up with the latter by mistake, it was a very good one indeed!

I have a decent fitting blazer in my collection and have worn rental and hand-me-down altered suits (which I ended up throwing out). For my first suit purchase, I needed a charcoal colour, and they only offered it in one fabric selection, so my choice was limited. For what I paid, I am more than happy with Indochino for going to great lengths to fit me the way I was hoping. All that initial frustration was worth it. I have a "very" difficult frame to fit off the rack (short and skinny), and I will definitely be reordering from them. First, I need to get those shoulders fixed!

There is one custmer requirement for ordering from Indochino, and that is patience. Given the quick turnaround time, it's well worth it.

Absolutely. And they've been great so far in terms of customer service; even rushed my suit to me so I could wear it to a wedding this past weekend, which of course didn't happen because it wasn't wearable yet, especially due to the short pants.

So when you apply for a remake, they ask you to change your measurements, but since they didn't make the suit exactly to measurements the first time it's hard to know exactly what to do there--and for some of the measurements it's tough to tell what they did. I gave them the revisions as they relate to the jacket that they actually made, because I had a tailor make some chalk lines for me.

But rather than just hope for the best, I put that information into the comments sections and also e-mailed Angie at the regular info e-mail address letting her know what I had done. I also attached some pics to the e-mail; a couple of me in the suit and then a few model shots of suits that fit like I would want mine to fit. Like these:

slim1.jpg
slim4.jpg

I have the same problem as you in terms of odd sizing. 5'5"/140/fairly broad shoulders/short legs/longer torso. I'm hopeful on the remake.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble logging into the Indochino website? It tells me my password is wrong and trying to recover password or create new account just gives me errors...

raphael__n

Reaction score
Upon further reflection, it appears that they have increased the width in the biceps and sleeves. And noticeably so. I did not ask for this on the remake. I think the waist may have been taken out a tad too much as well. I'll find out in a few days. I hope the alteration credits will cover it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads