• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Don't want to create a new thread... I understand it is very difficult to talk about fragrances on the net since everyone has difference olfactory systems and our own body chemistries are different. But, here goes. I've been using John Varvatos for a while now but have recently gotten very bored with it, perhaps because it's the only scent I own. The silage and the staying power are also rather poor. I am looking to buy a new fragrance. Something that is subtle but distinct. I have been attracted to Grey Vetiver for these very reasons, and especially since I've never smelled anything like it on anyone. Would Grey Vetiver be suitable for winter? The last time I tried it was when the weather was much warmer and I loved it. I've also heard great things about Tobacco Vanille, never tried it, but $260 for 50ml is more than I can afford. And finally, I know I'm being difficult, but based on the few things I've mentioned, would anyone be able to recommend a fragrance for me if you don't think GV is for me?
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with GV for winter. I recently recommended this to another member, but it also seems to fit what you're looking for: Tom Ford Moss Breches. It's quite subtle and it doesn't smell like anything else on the market. Like all the Private Blends, the price is very high, but you can get a 15 ml decant from The Perfumed Court for a good price. A little goes a long way, so you shouldn't need a whole 50 ml. EDIT: This is a very different fragrance from the ones you seem to be interested in, but I think it also fits your specifications almost perfectly: Dans Tes Bras. This is extremely soft and subtle, and it's completely unlike anything else I've smelled. (It's more subtle than Grey Vetiver, which I actually don't find to be that subtle.) It's a bit more feminine than the other fragrances you mention, but it really is gorgeous. I'm wearing Orange Spice today, which is not subtle at all!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aramis Tuscany, but when I arrived at my office this morning there was a package of Ms. Blass waiting for me. Tomorrow, then.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Rive Gauche. Not exactly subtle either, but quite nice.

Also wearing this, but the ladies version.

p_b

Reaction score
L'Instant de Guerlain. Quite good for colder weather.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1, especially on the sprayer for GIT. It sprays a lot for one individual spray.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carnal Flower

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abliss
Masculine? Subtly? I have experienced it as quite the opposite. To me and what i have heard elsewhere it smells like a makeup bag. I would not recommend Dior Homme, unless you really feel like trying something new.

If you prefer something safe and perhaps a bit subtle - i would recommend Creed Original Vetiver or perhaps Green Irish Tweed but be gentle with sprayer with GIT.

Maybe that's why he said they were subtly masculine?

If he's going to go the straight-arrow root, I'd at least save $$ and instead of getting Original Vetiver, get Mugler Cologne...ditto for Cool Water instead of GIT.

Just my 2 cents.
wink.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, new bottle of Ungaro III. so far it's not overly strong on projection (dissapointly so) but it's relatively rich and fairly complex. Not that I can pick out any particular notes from this.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Aramis Tuscany, but when I arrived at my office this morning there was a package of Ms. Blass waiting for me. Tomorrow, then.

Do you mean Mr. Blass? Did you see my post on that or did you order it by coincidence? I'm curious to see what you think.

While we're on the subject of you, I'm wearing Chanel PM today, which I've taken to wearing all the time. I bought a bottle of the newer stuff and it's passably close, but not really a match for the vintage stuff you gave me. The color is also very different - pale green today vs. the deep gold of the vintage.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Do you mean Mr. Blass? Did you see my post on that or did you order it by coincidence? I'm curious to see what you think.

While we're on the subject of you, I'm wearing Chanel PM today, which I've taken to wearing all the time. I bought a bottle of the newer stuff and it's passably close, but not really a match for the vintage stuff you gave me. The color is also very different - pale green today vs. the deep gold of the vintage.

Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it.

I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below...

Originally Posted by Rambo
^I've noticed the same thing. Its just not as good. Anybody know where you can source the vintage CM?

I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it. I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below... I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.
T - post up your review of the Mr. Blass once you wear it. If its like Curion then I'll pass since I still have half a bottle of that left. Does sound interesting though. Thanks for the info on the Chanel PM. I'll take a look into that one of these days.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it.

I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below...

I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.

Thanks for the tip.

I can see how you'd see the similarity to Cuiron - I don't particularly like Cuiron and I sold my bottle ages ago but that was because a single note bothered me. I'm sensitive to some notes and that sometimes makes an otherwise fine scent unwearable - I have the same problem with L'Instant PH. I'm also a bit blind buyer - especially with cheap bottles like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads