Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. p_b

p_b Member

L'Instant de Guerlain. Quite good for colder weather.

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

^ +1, especially on the sprayer for GIT. It sprays a lot for one individual spray.

3. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Carnal Flower

5. Dane

Dane Senior member

Masculine? Subtly? I have experienced it as quite the opposite. To me and what i have heard elsewhere it smells like a makeup bag. I would not recommend Dior Homme, unless you really feel like trying something new.

If you prefer something safe and perhaps a bit subtle - i would recommend Creed Original Vetiver or perhaps Green Irish Tweed but be gentle with sprayer with GIT.

Maybe that's why he said they were subtly masculine?

If he's going to go the straight-arrow root, I'd at least save $$ and instead of getting Original Vetiver, get Mugler Cologne...ditto for Cool Water instead of GIT.

Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Today, new bottle of Ungaro III. so far it's not overly strong on projection (dissapointly so) but it's relatively rich and fairly complex. Not that I can pick out any particular notes from this.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Aramis Tuscany, but when I arrived at my office this morning there was a package of Ms. Blass waiting for me. Tomorrow, then.

Do you mean Mr. Blass? Did you see my post on that or did you order it by coincidence? I'm curious to see what you think.

While we're on the subject of you, I'm wearing Chanel PM today, which I've taken to wearing all the time. I bought a bottle of the newer stuff and it's passably close, but not really a match for the vintage stuff you gave me. The color is also very different - pale green today vs. the deep gold of the vintage.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

^I've noticed the same thing. Its just not as good. Anybody know where you can source the vintage CM?

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Do you mean Mr. Blass? Did you see my post on that or did you order it by coincidence? I'm curious to see what you think.

While we're on the subject of you, I'm wearing Chanel PM today, which I've taken to wearing all the time. I bought a bottle of the newer stuff and it's passably close, but not really a match for the vintage stuff you gave me. The color is also very different - pale green today vs. the deep gold of the vintage.

Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it.

I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below...

^I've noticed the same thing. Its just not as good. Anybody know where you can source the vintage CM?

I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it. I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below... I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.
    T - post up your review of the Mr. Blass once you wear it. If its like Curion then I'll pass since I still have half a bottle of that left. Does sound interesting though. Thanks for the info on the Chanel PM. I'll take a look into that one of these days.

11. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry, I did mean Mr. Blass - your post was the reason I ordered it (blind, but that's pretty normal for me) and I tried it on the back of my hand after lunch - I've been giggling to myself all afternoon, because to my nose it's just like Cuiron. I think a few notes are different but they complement each other in the same fashion. I giggled quite a bit about it.

I tried the current Chanel PM at a duty-free earlier this year, and agree completely. I think that they reformed it in advance of the IFRA regulations limiting oakmoss, which led to a minor binge on my part. I bought mine from Jaime Lliteras at Eurofinegifts.com. Strange story about how he got into it (inherited a warehouse of perfume and fine breakables from his parents). More below...

I checked Jaime's web site and he displays the aftershave in vintage but not the EdT any longer. Sometimes he has things that he hasn't gotten around to listing - I found out about the jumbo bottle via email, strangely enough.

Thanks for the tip.

I can see how you'd see the similarity to Cuiron - I don't particularly like Cuiron and I sold my bottle ages ago but that was because a single note bothered me. I'm sensitive to some notes and that sometimes makes an otherwise fine scent unwearable - I have the same problem with L'Instant PH. I'm also a bit blind buyer - especially with cheap bottles like this.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I can see how you'd see the similarity to Cuiron - I don't particularly like Cuiron and I sold my bottle ages ago but that was because a single note bothered me. I'm sensitive to some notes and that sometimes makes an otherwise fine scent unwearable - I have the same problem with L'Instant PH. I'm also a bit blind buyer - especially with cheap bottles like this.
    I re-read your review and you compared it to Derby. I remember Derby being fairly overwhelming when I sampled it. Is Mr. Blass the same?

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Fuck it! I have bowed to peer pressure and bought a bottle. For under $20 shipped I figured what the hell.

Today I wore ELdO Tom of Finland - Very interesting. The opening was sort of chocolaty with a bit of chypre sort of scent in there. Odd but interesting.

14. volatile

volatile Senior member

I've been using Gaultier Le Male for quite a while as my "evening" scent; it's time for a change.

Any recommendations from the cognoscenti here? Something similar to Le Male, something warm, rounded, slightly sweet?

No ideas, chaps?

15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

No ideas, chaps?

Could you give us a little more detail on what you're looking for? For example, are you looking for something more formal, or for something about as casual as Le Male? Do you have an upper limit on what you're willing to pay? And are you looking for something broadly similar to Le Male, or are you mainly looking for the sweetness and warmth?

Here are some tentative suggestions:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Le Male is also a tobacco and vanilla fragrance. But the two are not at all the same.

Hermes Elixir des Merveilles. I love this one. It's a gourmandy, sweet orange and vanilla. A bit on the feminine side, but certainly wearable for a man. (I wear it fairly frequently.)

B*Men. To me, this is a more casual scent like Le Male. It's sweet, but there's also a pronounced rhubarb note that adds a little zing. It's also one that can be acquired cheaply.

Bulgari Black. Tire rubber and ice cream. It's much, much better than it sounds! Really.

Rochas Man. Very sweet coffee with a little bit of lavender on top. For my tastes, it's actually a bit too sweet, but it's worth trying.

Bond No. 9 New Haarlem. Absurdly priced, but good. Also sweet coffee, though a little less sweet than the Rochas.