Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I re-read your review and you compared it to Derby. I remember Derby being fairly overwhelming when I sampled it. Is Mr. Blass the same?

It's not as strong as Derby and it's not all that similar to it - but they are both leather chypres and they grow closer in the drydown. I'm wearing it again today and I'm noticing that the opening is actually similar to Guerlain Coriolan.

2. volatile

volatile Senior member

Here are some tentative suggestions:
    <snip>

These all sound fabulous and fascinating; I'll be hunting testers down shortly. After reading this thread, I'd become intrigued by Tobacco et Vanille anyway; I think that's top of my list. Thank you!

In answer to your questions:

Something as casual as Le Male; I move in fairly informal circles so I'm looking for something that will sit well on an evening in a bar. I love Le Male, I feel really comfortable with it, but I'm willing to go bolder. I like sweet, maybe even slightly feminine fragrances (I wear Marc Jacobs Pear during the day), but the round, warm notes in the scents you just described (leather, rubber etc.) really appeal. Price range I guess $100 - $150 would be about what I'm estimating.

Thanks for all your help; it's really appreciated.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

No ideas, chaps?

Le Male is a tough one for comparison purposes. If you felt like taking a flyer I'd rec Bulgari Black, guerlain L'instant Pour Homme, or perhaps Mr. Blass if you're not turned off by the price. Actually, for evening i'd also check out Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum).

4. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Put on Oud 27 this morning and immediately my skin turned red and burned like fire at the application site (hey, are those hives?). Small price to pay to smell like straw and animal droppings dipped in vinegar though. In other news, I am eagerly awaiting my sample of Ormonde Jayne Man.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

New Haarlem for me today.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Man, Tinto - you're making me cringe over here!

Today, I'd thought about Chanel PM but instead decided to take the path less-traveled: SL Chergui.

7. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Le Male is a tough one for comparison purposes. If you felt like taking a flyer I'd rec Bulgari Black, guerlain L'instant Pour Homme, or perhaps Mr. Blass if you're not turned off by the price. Actually, for evening i'd also check out Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum).

All good suggestions. Maybe also try Varvatos Vintage, it's another subtle vanilla.

8. L'Incandescent

+1 on Egoiste (not Platinum)

I'm wearing Black Orchid today.

9. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Man, Tinto - you're making me cringe over here!

I cringed at myself for calling "Ormonde Jayne" "Jayne Ormonde" at first. Speaking of cringiness, miss Tinto asked me if my Creed cologne was 'made by the band' the other day. *shivers*

Today I'm wearing TF Japon Noir.

10. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Wearing CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves. It smells like Burning Leaves. Anyone interested in buying a decant of this? I'm not sure I need a whole bottle.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wearing CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves. It smells like Burning Leaves. Anyone interested in buying a decant of this? I'm not sure I need a whole bottle.
    I'm sure we could just get Thomas to distill the essence of his compost pile. I keed...I keed.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

hmmm, why yes! That one's been on my list for a while to at least test but I'm willing to start with a decant... PM sent!

ooh, nice one.

I've been testing out a few of the Mark Buxton lineup. I actually quite like them so far. I can't put my finger on it but there's something very familiar but nichey about them. They're all "interesting" so far but so full of everything that I haven't found any so far that are really unique and good for something. they're just "good" so far.

PS - did everyone see the PSA on GIT? Walgreens (yep!) is selling a 4oz bottle for $120 shipped. It's $150 less the PERFUME (20% off) discount.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - another 'road less-traveled' day.

Anyway, I read a review of YSL Opium where it was called costumey and over-the-top. Then I read a review where someone stated that the vintage was just SO MUCH MORE WONDERFUL than the current juice, so I stalked ebay and wound up with an ounce of really old stuff. That is what I'm wearing. It's good, fine, actually, maybe wonderful but a tad dated, and it puts me in mind of a well-kept older lady in a fur coat.

In other words, you probably won't catch me wearing this very often.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

15. L'Incandescent

What's your impression of the Japon Noir?

I'm wearing TF Noir de Noir today. Usually when I wear this, the oud stands out most prominently. But every once in a while, it's the chocolatey note that really jumps out. Today is one of those days. I like that chocolatey note a lot.