• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

michael_legeek

Reaction score
Well, I don't know whether that's the case. It could be way to make a fine wool last longer, rather than a way to add strength to a cheap wool. I don't know what it's being used for in that suit, but I'm suggesting that it doesn't mean the suit is polyester-looking or polyester-feeling.

jguyette

Reaction score
First post here. I have found this thread to be both insightful and a little scary...
I am planning on ordering a suit from Indochino in the near future. My fear is that the cut of suit that is produced by Indochino isn't quite traditional enough for my office. In looking at the pictures, it appears as if most of the pants are very slim - is that an option that can be changed? I want a suit with a proper fit, but I don't want to look too much like a trendsetter. I need a suit somewhere between the typical suit you can pick up at Jos. Bank and trendy/slim.
Is that something I can get from Indochino?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Wearing fitted clothing isn't a trend. After the 60's, everyone became substantially lazier and started dressing poorly. Unless you were of a wider stature, most people wore fitted suits (not model-like slim, but slim). My dad still dictates that a suit jacket must end at the thumb knuckle, and be loosely fitting. He looks extremely portly in his suit, so I generally choose not to go along with his ideas. However, this loosely draped suit had become the norm and still holds its ground in conservative corporate clothing. I suspect it has something to do with the mentality that "bigger is better". If you want looser fitting clothes, you can specify to Indochino/increase the measurements at the knee and thigh by however many inches you want. Just give all your measurements generous additions (careful with shoulders) and you should be good.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jguyette
First post here. I have found this thread to be both insightful and a little scary...
I am planning on ordering a suit from Indochino in the near future. My fear is that the cut of suit that is produced by Indochino isn't quite traditional enough for my office. In looking at the pictures, it appears as if most of the pants are very slim - is that an option that can be changed? I want a suit with a proper fit, but I don't want to look too much like a trendsetter. I need a suit somewhere between the typical suit you can pick up at Jos. Bank and trendy/slim.
Is that something I can get from Indochino?

I echo what JB says...just add to your measurements in the thigh and knee, and maybe a weee bit in the jacket waist. Do not widen the shoulders. And then set the length where you need it to be. Also, stick with more conservative fabrics - navy, charcoal, gray. Don't get black or anything deemed "metallic."

I wear suits 5 days a week in a pretty conservative office in a midwest city. I have 2 suits from Indochino and they fit in pretty well, they just fit better than everyone elses Jos Banks and Brooks Brothers.

In general to anyone ordering from Indochino, I think it helps if you already have a few suits and know what fit you want. I've been wearing suits for nearly 10 years and know how I want them to fit, how I want the button stance and gorge, stuff like that. I have several favorite suits from which I can mimic measurements for sleeve and jacket length. If you are new to wearing suits, I would suggest going to the best mens store in your city and trying on several suits to get a sense of how you'd like things to fit. The employees, if they are worth a damn, should be able to help point you to styles that will fit in the envrionment you need.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
The goal here should be to move people from Indochino to something like WW Chan, but that's going to take a while. Maybe it's only a few months (maybe the return the Indochino, realize they have higher standards, and save the $350 for Chan), or maybe it'll take a few years.

What's the price range for WW Chan? Do they do online as well? I wish I was in Hong Kong more often, but I only get out there once every 5 yrs or so!

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Vests generally have fabric on the front and lining on the back. If you choose to get a fabric back, the entire vest will be made of fabric. You'll notice I chose this option in my first picture, whereas the second one shows the burgundy lining.

Did you send the all fabric one back for a remake? Would your recommend against the all fabric? IC defaults to lining but what's the norm?

Originally Posted by smoothmoose
What's the price range for WW Chan?

$1000+

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Did you send the all fabric one back for a remake? Would your recommend against the all fabric? IC defaults to lining but what's the norm?

Vests are generally made with the lining as the back. I actually prefer the fabric. While a lining can look good, I chose burgundy, which looks good if it's inside, but not if half of the vest is contrasting so much. When I originally ordered my suit, I contacted Angie and had it changed to fabric back. I guess they didn't change that option in the original order so they ended up remaking it with a lining back.

The way I see it, I want my suit to be made of 100% wool and certainly would not want half of it made out of lining. So I applied the same principle to the vest.

alexdunhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Both of mine were unexpectedly.

I wonder why they fast-track the shipping for free on remakes but you can't even pay for the shipping to be upgraded when you're going through the regular order process now. I think they used to have a ten-day service upgrade for like $30-40 but it doesn't appear anymore.

raphael__n

Reaction score
There's a tiny bit of doubt that's on the back of my mind, and it's been bugging me more lately. Indochino does not attach a composition label to their garments. Neither my suit or peacoat has one. While I am confident for the most part that they are in fact the fabric that is advertised (especially thanks to the burn test on youtube), it's somewhat unnerving that I'm just taking their word for it. I know plenty of fake suit sellers on eBay (I was a victim once many years ago when I was younger and gullible) that advertise their clothing as 100% wool, super 140s blah blah, but the actual suit only showed something along the lines of "100% super 140s fabric". Thankfully, I was able to pin it on them and got everything refunded (including shipping and customs) because the listing picture had a composition label but the actual suit didn't come with one. What particularly concerns me about Indochino is that their swatch fabrics and model descriptions often have conflicting descriptions. (Peacoat says 10% cashmere, 90% wool in the description, but the swatch shoes 30% cashmere, 70% wool). The navy blazer also sports a "wool blend" in the description, but 100% wool in the swatch. There are many examples like this. I tend to believe the swatch description. Has anyone else been troubled by this?

alexdunhill, both my initial order and remake were shipped international priority, which was an unexpected free upgrade. Maybe they do it on occasion, or maybe they recently signed a better contract with FedEx. As a customer, I'm more than happy that Indochino has taken this step. It allows them more time to work on the suit while maintaining the 2-week delivery promise.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my first one today. 3-piece timeless charcoal. Got it in eight days as they put a rush on it for me since I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and they were nice enough to make/ship it priority for no extra charge. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear it saturday because it still needs a bit too much work done to be ready yet.

So you can get a sense of scale, I'm 5'5"/140 and with shorter legs and a longer torso (proportionally) - hence the need for a MTM suit or a LOT of tailoring.

First off, the fabric and craftsmanship are great. I really like the way the suit feels.

The pants were hemmed about 1 inch to short, which I should be able to get fixed at a tailor easily.

The vest is way too big. Lengthwise it's fine but it probably needs a couple inches taken out from the chest/waist/hips.

The jacket length is also good (some of you might say a bit short but it balances out that short legs/long torso thing I've got going. The shoulders are cut to what I put on the measurement sheet (17) but I'm thinking I messed that up and it should be about 15.5-- so I'll take each shoulder up by 3/4". The chest should come in and the waist and hips probably as well. Sleeves are about 1/2" too long, maybe 3/4.

So i'm guessing I'll be able to get the pants and vest fixed locally but will have to send off the jacket to be remade. Saw a tailor today who said the shoulder work would cost more than the $75 credit.

As many have echoed in this thread, the first suit seems to be a jumping off point to nail down what actually fits and I definitely think it's a step in the right direction, especially in the cases of those of us for whom OTR is not a great option.

Here are some crappy camera-phone shots. Forgot to put shoes on, but you get the idea.

buttonedfront.jpg
buttonedside.jpg
vest1q.jpg
vest2v.jpg

halfspec

Reaction score
After reading this thread all the way through I decided to give Indochino a whirl. I got a 3 piece charcoal suit with high arm holes and natural shoulders. Bought a 3 piece just because I've never had a 3 piece. Also got a free white shirt by using a coupon. Here are the results right out of the box (wrinkle city I know).
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
You can laugh all you want at the purple lined vest... I know I did
laugh.gif
I must have skipped over the part where people discussed that the whole back of the vest = the same color you chose as lining. I just figured it would just be the same material as the front :\\ Ok, well my impressions are: Shirt: Amazing. It's the best fitting shirt I own to date. Not saying it's the best ever, just the best out of my puny collection
wink.gif
Trousers: Fit really well but are a little on the short side it seems. I think they could be another 1/3" - 1/2" longer. Jacket: 1. The jacket sleeves are too long by 1/3" - 1/2" 3. The chest seems very big. 4. The shoulders seem a little off. My shoulders come out to the edge of the fabric, but they look a little poofy at the top of the arm hole. 5. Sleeve is too wide and looks sloppy to me. 6. Length seems good to me. This isn't a suit I'll wear everyday so I don't mind if it's a little on the edge. 7. Vest is way too big Overall I'm a little disappointed in the fit to be honest. However, I'm far from an expert in suit fit so it's possible I'm just disappointed that "I" don't look better in it. My measurements are a 42" chest and a 33" waist and I work out a good bit. I just thought a 9" drop would look a little more tapered especially when the shirt I ordered does a much better job at fitting my torso using the same measurements as the suit. What do you guys think? I know the lighting in my picture isn't the best for a dark suit, but I was anxious to see where I stand. You can be brutally honest. That's what I'm here for. Thanks Lane

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads