• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaio
rumor has it that schott's peacoats have very itchy wool that sheds all over the place.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Where the hell did you get that from? They've been making jackets for almost 100 years. I'm pretty sure that little tidbit would be more than a rumor by now.

BM - go with Schott.

The itchy wool that sheds all over the place is from my own personal experience (and considered to be normal according to Gail in customer service). I was speaking specifically about the Schott slim fit peacoat (DU704i) which supposedly uses a different wool than their classic peacoat (740N). I can shake the DU704i over the tub and collect a tiny ball of wool every time. I don't know if the 740N has the same problem.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoPete525
Yes, Sterlingwear = Stearlingwear of Boston.

Nice, i think the authentic sterlingwear must be the best peacoat would people agree. And none of this mariner, navigator and classic business.?

YoPete525

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the Navigator and Authentic are the same, other than the lining (Authentic having a fleece lining, Navigator being lined with satin).

VictorC

Reaction score
So the authentic is warmer?
I am 5ft9 and 11 stone with a 33 inch waist. Do people think a sterling 36inch, regular length would fit me.
Sterlingwear are reasonably priced arent they, which is reasuring to know. How much would it cost in English money?

trex22

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am thinking of buying the J.crew authentic peacoat online since I live in Canada..Im just wondering if the XS would not be too big on me. I am 5'7, 125 and 30waist. I just dont want to spend money on returning it if it doesnt fit. Thanks

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trex22
Hey guys, so I am thinking of buying the J.crew authentic peacoat online since I live in Canada..Im just wondering if the XS would not be too big on me. I am 5'7, 125 and 30waist. I just dont want to spend money on returning it if it doesnt fit. Thanks

I'm 5'11, 155 lbs and have the J Crew one in small. XS should fit you...it is a very slim fitting coat.

PattyC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trex22

Should be good on you, I'm 6"2 160 lbs and the size small fits perfect for me.

erbs

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the size is the same between Schott and Sterlingwear?

I wear a 38 in the Schott 740, and I'm thinking about picking up a Sterlingwear Authentic.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoPete525
I'm pretty sure that the Navigator and Authentic are the same, other than the lining (Authentic having a fleece lining, Navigator being lined with satin).

The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 6 buttons (showing), and the Navigator also has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 8 buttons (showing), while the Navigator has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

Post more!!!

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last shot with the J.Crew. Tried it on a third time and got some quality photos. Small isn't as tight as I remember it being, and so I think that one fits way better.

Small

8vosb7.jpg

21kjjmp.jpg

Medium

2namhkj.jpg

What do you guys think?

I'll probably go with the small.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLay go small. I remember complaining about my coat being too tight in the shoulders at first but now I dont notice it much anymore. Sleeves are a bit short for me but the tailor said there is enough fabric to lengthen them so I'm gonna get that done tomorrow. Small looks good on you...I'd buy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics