Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Small looks far better. To my eye, it's mainly the shoulders that look more correct on the small. On the other hand, you shouldn't buy a coat if the chest is too small.

2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

The chest is fine, the shoulders were the only thing that was bothering me last time I tried it on. This time they weren't even that bad, just somewhat of a nuisance. So I think it was just the combination of the shirt that I had on - which is too small and constricting in itself - with the coat.

So until I start putting on a ton of muscle - which will be in the spring probably - I should be fine. I'll probably pick this up off eBay then. Thanks guys.

3. Wood Jablowme

Wood Jablowme Member

Thanks for the input guys

4. onix

onix Senior member

I'm not gonna read through 170 pages, so here is a quick question: what are the most highly recommended places (in terms of quality/variety of colors/pricing) to get a peacoat? A quick glance at the previous 5-6 pages, Sterlingwear seems to be one answer. Any other suggestions?

5. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 8 buttons (showing), while the Navigator has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

I thought the authentic had 6 buttons showing? And i thought sterlingwear were very warm as they are the most uthentic arent they?

6. otc

otc Senior member

The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 8 buttons (showing), while the Navigator has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

I thought the authentic had 6 buttons showing? And i thought sterlingwear were very warm as they are the most uthentic arent they?

Yeah...it looks to me like someone was unable to read the comparison chart

7. YoPete525

YoPete525 Well-Known Member

As several members have already pointed out, both the Authentic and Navigator models have 6 buttons showing. However it is true that the Black Navigator model is made of 100% wool, while its colored models, as well as all of the Authentic models, are an 80% wool/20% nylon blend.

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Bah, I was hoping to pick this coat up cheap on eBay but it seems that the only ones being sold are from previous years. Does anyone know if the sizing changes between hears? Should I just Purchase it at full price? I'd probably rather risk it with sterlngwear...

9. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

i think this was mentioned earlier in the thread but Sterlingwear is currently making 100% wool versions of the Navigator in Navy and Tan in addition to the black.
    (this may be true for the Authentic as well, but i'm not positive)

they aren't on the sterlingwear website, but i can say with certainty that they exist, i just bought a 100% wool Navigator in Navy this week.

As several members have already pointed out, both the Authentic and Navigator models have 6 buttons showing. However it is true that the Black Navigator model is made of 100% wool, while its colored models, as well as all of the Authentic models, are an 80% wool/20% nylon blend.

10. trex22

trex22 New Member

Thanks guys, I ordered the Jcrew xs authentic peacoat. i'll let you know about the fit once i get it

11. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

12. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

VictorC, you are correct about the 6 buttons showing; I meant to type 6 but hit 8 instead.

Sterlingwear is a fine manufacturer of the current issue Navy peacoats. They build according to specifications furnished by the Navy. Unfortunately, those specifications changed in about 1980.
    Instead of the heavy 32 oz. Kersey wool that had been used since time began, the Navy specified a lighter weight 24 oz. Melton wool. This was a lighter and looser weave than the Kersey. To compensate for the loss of warmth with the lighter wool, the Navy specified that an insulated liner be incorporated into the design. This liner can be felt in the issue models between the inner nylon liner and the outer wool shell. It is thin and not readily noticeable unless one is looking for it.

I have found the current issue peacoats to be about as warm as the vintage coats, but they aren't nearly as windproof or water resistant as their predecessor. The wind, in a city such as Chicago, will quickly strip the warmth from the peacoat. And a hard rain will soon penetrate the fabric.

Sterlingwear has been a contractor since about the mid 70s. Then it was using the name of Viking Military (or Vi Mil on the labels) for its peacoats. I have a Vi Mil coat from the mid 70s which is made of the vintage Kersey wool. It is a quality peacoat.

If interested in learning more about the vintage peacoats, and the dating and sizing thereof, see the article at the link below:

13. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

^^^
    Yes i hoped it was a typing error when you said the authentic had 8 buttons.
    YOuve made me want to get a sterlingwear coat now. I dont really need another coat as ive got about 10 coats and 2 peacoats.

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

How long should the sleeves of a peacoat be? Cover your wrists or a bit more of your hand?

15. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

How long should the sleeves of a peacoat be? Cover your wrists or a bit more of your hand?

I like for my cuffs to end between the wrist joint and 1/2 way to the webbing of the thumb.