MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. maritimetimetime

maritimetimetime Well-Known Member

any way to make the collar on sterlingwears pop up better? it doesnt seem to wanna stay in the up position

2. Wood Jablowme

Wood Jablowme Member

3. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

rumor has it that schott's peacoats have very itchy wool that sheds all over the place.

Where the hell did you get that from? They've been making jackets for almost 100 years. I'm pretty sure that little tidbit would be more than a rumor by now.

BM - go with Schott.

The itchy wool that sheds all over the place is from my own personal experience (and considered to be normal according to Gail in customer service). I was speaking specifically about the Schott slim fit peacoat (DU704i) which supposedly uses a different wool than their classic peacoat (740N). I can shake the DU704i over the tub and collect a tiny ball of wool every time. I don't know if the 740N has the same problem.

4. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

Yes, Sterlingwear = Stearlingwear of Boston.

Nice, i think the authentic sterlingwear must be the best peacoat would people agree. And none of this mariner, navigator and classic business.?

5. YoPete525

YoPete525 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the Navigator and Authentic are the same, other than the lining (Authentic having a fleece lining, Navigator being lined with satin).

6. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

So the authentic is warmer?
    I am 5ft9 and 11 stone with a 33 inch waist. Do people think a sterling 36inch, regular length would fit me.
    Sterlingwear are reasonably priced arent they, which is reasuring to know. How much would it cost in English money?

7. trex22

trex22 New Member

Hey guys, so I am thinking of buying the J.crew authentic peacoat online since I live in Canada..Im just wondering if the XS would not be too big on me. I am 5'7, 125 and 30waist. I just dont want to spend money on returning it if it doesnt fit. Thanks

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Hey guys, so I am thinking of buying the J.crew authentic peacoat online since I live in Canada..Im just wondering if the XS would not be too big on me. I am 5'7, 125 and 30waist. I just dont want to spend money on returning it if it doesnt fit. Thanks

I'm 5'11, 155 lbs and have the J Crew one in small. XS should fit you...it is a very slim fitting coat.

9. PattyC

PattyC Senior member

Should be good on you, I'm 6"2 160 lbs and the size small fits perfect for me.

10. erbs

erbs Senior member

Does anybody know if the size is the same between Schott and Sterlingwear?

I wear a 38 in the Schott 740, and I'm thinking about picking up a Sterlingwear Authentic.

11. veloaudio

veloaudio Senior member

12. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I'm pretty sure that the Navigator and Authentic are the same, other than the lining (Authentic having a fleece lining, Navigator being lined with satin).

The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 6 buttons (showing), and the Navigator also has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

13. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

The Navigator is a relatively light weight wool, at 24 oz. Its only redeeming quality is the wool is 100%.

The Authentic is also a 24 oz wool, but it is only 80% wool. The Authentic has 8 buttons (showing), while the Navigator has 6 buttons (showing).

Neither is a heavy duty peacoat that will keep the wind and the rain out, and the warmth in. Only a vintage issue peacoat with 32 oz Kersey wool will fit those requirements.

If interested in the real thing, here is the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

Post more!!!

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Last shot with the J.Crew. Tried it on a third time and got some quality photos. Small isn't as tight as I remember it being, and so I think that one fits way better.

Small

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Medium

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

I'll probably go with the small.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

JLay go small. I remember complaining about my coat being too tight in the shoulders at first but now I dont notice it much anymore. Sleeves are a bit short for me but the tailor said there is enough fabric to lengthen them so I'm gonna get that done tomorrow. Small looks good on you...I'd buy it.