• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Also, even more exciting, is that in a weird and strange turn of events, in about a week, I will be promoted from service staff member to wine staff member. Meaning that I get to come in early every day and stay late every day to do wine stuff. And it means that I'll be the third and final person on the wine staff. Right now we have a wine director and a sommelier (both of whom are studying for their master's sommelier roles, waiting to be invited to sit for the test) and a guy who is leaving after this week. I'm training right now to assume his position when he leaves.

In short: Hell
bounce2.gif
Yes.

Huge congrats!

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Could not pull the trigger on DuMol stuff this allocation season. Think they wanted >$60 for their Chards? No thanks.

It's very nice (I'm still reserving judgment on value) and we're following it with a 2007 Kistler Noisetiers RRV. A rare Cali night for us...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats gentlemen!

I am falling in love with a pinot that we have by the glass. August West 2008 Graham Family Vineyard. Very small production (420 cases). It is really expressive of the Russian River Valley's terroir. Anyone who has been to RRV during grape-growing season knows what that means. Before noon, there is a thick blanket of fog that burns off in the afternoon and it can get rather warm, spiking up to over 90 on the hotter days. While a cooler climate may be more ideal for a pinot, this appelation is supremely interesting b/c it is a cool climate in the mornings and a warm climate in the afternoons. What that means is that instead of just having ripe red fruit flavors, you get ripe red fruits (cherry being the strongest) but then you also get deeper fruits and a mushroom/forest floor component. Finished with the distinct RRV menthol. Oak influence is present but not overpowering, just giving it enough spice and strength to round out the high acidity. Truly a great wine, and at around $28-35 a bottle, it's definitely something you should pick up if you ever see it. This one doesn't have the structure to sit for 10 years, but will be immensely enjoyable for the next 5 or so.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
the last pinot I had from that vineyard tasted like cherries and twizzlers
frown.gif

That's really strange. This one is quite complex. I've tasted 12 bottles or so over the last week, and they have all represented RRV well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
complex, this was as well. Lots of other fruit flavors, good acidity and good finish too. By all accounts a very nice wine. But you have to love the California fruit. I'd rather buy actual twizzlers for $2.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
complex, this was as well. Lots of other fruit flavors, good acidity and good finish too. By all accounts a very nice wine. But you have to love the California fruit. I'd rather buy actual twizzlers for $2.

I am so going to bring some twizzlers in the spring.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Ehh. Agree to disagree. It must come down to variations within producer/vintage/vinification.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I am so going to bring some twizzlers in the spring.

And I'll bring some ... barnyard?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Ehh. Agree to disagree. It must come down to variations within producer/vintage/vinification.

I'm not disagreeing with the assessment of your bottles at all (I believe they are fully valid), I'm just comparing it to the the wines I've tried from the same vineyard but a different producer (and likely different vintage).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the WTSO Crew Wines Mossback pinot.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^^^^
I'd put up with football if I could have some of that.

Last night was a really interesting Sancerre at Aldea, I'll look it up and poast deets later (on my way out the door right now)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an 06 Lynmar Chard last night. Nicely done and I plan to buy more from them in the new year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Last night was a really interesting Sancerre at Aldea, I'll look it up and poast deets later (on my way out the door right now)
the wine was Domaine Raimbault Sancerre 2008. Nice, would drink again. The food was fantastic all around. Had the octopus, fluke, foie, oysters (of all that I've eaten around NYC, these might be my favorite), risotto, and sampled a good number of the desserts. Highly recommended for the NYC peeps, and the prices are very favorable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads