• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Today I got to taste my first ever Dagueneau. '05 Silex. A guest ordered it, so I didn't get to drink it as it changed with the ambient temperature, but I tasted it straight out of the cellar. Still very good wine for being cold. High minerality and lemon verbena were the biggest notes I got. I wish I had had the chance to sit with it for an hour and just slowly sip on it, but I didn't have the opportunity. However, just the taste that I did get made me want to buy a bottle even worse! Also tasted a '53 Mouton Rothschild which was ridiculously past its prime.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i always thought being a sommelier would be cool cuz you'd be able to taste a bunch of wines. but i guess you have to taste them before they warm up properly

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
K-dub, you're living the dream man.

Today, got some Turley in. Uberroth, Dogtown, Pesenti, Cedarman and Earthquake.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a few bottles of 2005 and 2006 Bordeaux on sale tonight. More delayed gratification.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
What did you get?
2005 & 2006 D'Issan (me likey Margaux). I've got a little vertical going on this one. Should be enjoyable in my '60's. 2006 Pipeau. Not really delayed gratification. Should be drinkable soon. Kinda fruit-bomby (at least the '05 was) and modern in style. Good VPR.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
today we had some louis jadot chablis, pouilly fuisse, santenay 1er cru (clos rousseau) by nicolas potel, m. chapoutier belleruche cote du rhone, and mas de guiot (i believe propietary name) which was a vin de pays du gard (languedoc rousillion) by silvia et francois cornut.

chablis was too acidic, pouilly fuisse was good (more balanced, richer fruit)

the santenay i expected a lot out of. i mean compared to the bourgougne rouge we had before as a baseline it was much better. funky, really smelled like mushrooms and wet soil, ripe cherries. finish was nice and long. i can still imagine the taste in my mouth. and it was hypnotic how the smell and taste kept changing over time. but it was really acidic. like way acidic. and it had some off notes. it was a 2000 vintage so maybe a little old.

the m. chapoutier on first taste was soooooo good. so much nice clean clear fruit (ripe dark berries, stewed plums), hints of cinnamon, long finish. but then after a second taste i realized there was just simply too much acid. mouth puckering overwhelming acid. a little out of wack. but at $11 I think it's a great bargain and the acid will go well with food.

the vins de pays was pretty interesting. like fruit jerky. stewed plum. some kind of clayish smells i couldnt identify. but the really interesting part was how much it reminded me of freshly ground pepper. such a strong note and it kind of smelled like my leather wallet

anyways next time is bordeaux I think and hopefully italy is coming up soon. i wonder if we get brunellos or barberas. here's to hoping for some classified growths next week.

i need to go through my nez du vin kit. i have so much trouble putting the name on smells. like i've definitely smelled it before but i can't tell what it is. or i get these weird maybe umami like flavors occasionally.

i think rhones are going to be daily drinkers. i thought i really liked pinot noir, but i've yet to have a really stunning one. so far the wines i've enjoyed best was a chateauneuf du pape (mont redon), medoc (chateau fronsac), and the trimbach riesling. -_- i sorry i not baller yet.

maybe someday i will meet kyle and we will split a bottle of silex or pur sang.

kinda want to explore rhone and burgundy more

giorgio19

Reaction score
im working at a wine bar now but i would love to take extra classes, any recommendations in toronto?

to remain partially on topic the best wine i've had recently was a 2003 puligny-montrachet “les pucelles" domaine alain chavy. table sent it back so we got to drink the rest of the bottle, was a little off but after letting it sit out it was quite good, definately the best white i've had so far.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
2005 & 2006 D'Issan (me likey Margaux). I've got a little vertical going on this one. Should be enjoyable in my '60's.

laugh.gif
Nice. I've been picking up a few years of Pavillon Rouge which can be a hell of wine in some vintages. We'll all be drinking well once we reach our dotage...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
Works for me! So every Friday at the restaurant, the somm staff puts on a wine class for the entire service staff. It's 2 hours, working our way through Sotheby's encyclopedia and blind tasting 6 wines. It is pretty freaking awesome. And the entire next month is going to be spent on Bordeaux, so I'm excited. Also, even more exciting, is that in a weird and strange turn of events, in about a week, I will be promoted from service staff member to wine staff member. Meaning that I get to come in early every day and stay late every day to do wine stuff. And it means that I'll be the third and final person on the wine staff. Right now we have a wine director and a sommelier (both of whom are studying for their master's sommelier roles, waiting to be invited to sit for the test) and a guy who is leaving after this week. I'm training right now to assume his position when he leaves. In short: Hell
bounce2.gif
Yes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Great stuff, Kyle.

fistbump.gif

And to think I knew you when you were making greasy tacos.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Today I got to taste my first ever Dagueneau. '05 Silex. A guest ordered it, so I didn't get to drink it as it changed with the ambient temperature, but I tasted it straight out of the cellar. Still very good wine for being cold. High minerality and lemon verbena were the biggest notes I got. I wish I had had the chance to sit with it for an hour and just slowly sip on it, but I didn't have the opportunity. However, just the taste that I did get made me want to buy a bottle even worse!
Dagueneau
inlove.gif

today we had some louis jadot chablis, pouilly fuisse, santenay 1er cru (clos rousseau) by nicolas potel, m. chapoutier belleruche cote du rhone, and mas de guiot (i believe propietary name) which was a vin de pays du gard (languedoc rousillion) by silvia et francois cornut.
Solid list for the Burg/Rhone class. Santenay is a soild option for affordable burg.

i need to go through my nez du vin kit. i have so much trouble putting the name on smells. like i've definitely smelled it before but i can't tell what it is. or i get these weird maybe umami like flavors occasionally.
I remember this as well during the class, and I had been a fran of wine long before then. It just takes time.

i thought i really liked pinot noir, but i've yet to have a really stunning one.
There is nothing quite like a great Burg, neither in its nuances nor in its price tag.

Manton and I did this once, it was great. It took us like 2 hours to finish the thing, the massive end palate kept on going and doing thus slowing the process considerably.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Also, even more exciting, is that in a weird and strange turn of events, in about a week, I will be promoted from service staff member to wine staff member. Meaning that I get to come in early every day and stay late every day to do wine stuff. And it means that I'll be the third and final person on the wine staff. Right now we have a wine director and a sommelier (both of whom are studying for their master's sommelier roles, waiting to be invited to sit for the test) and a guy who is leaving after this week. I'm training right now to assume his position when he leaves.
NICE, that **** sounds like fun.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new one for me: Tonight will be a 2007 Dumol Chardonnay "Isobel". Probably going to pour this before dinner since I don't want to oak-bomb the meal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
A new one for me: Tonight will be a 2007 Dumol Chardonnay "Isobel". Probably going to pour this before dinner since I don't want to oak-bomb the meal.

Could not pull the trigger on DuMol stuff this allocation season. Think they wanted >$60 for their Chards? No thanks.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2002 Calera Mills Vineyard Pinot Nior = awesome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads